Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #16  
Old 03-31-2017, 10:49 PM
Kamaeru Kamaeru is offline
Sandinista!
Kamaeru's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,040
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
Nintendo has been milking the same 3 properties for 30 years, and maybe strayed from the same formula a half dozen times. Nothing great about that.
That would be a legit criticism if it were true, but you made the numbers up. The truth is that almost 100% of the time that an innovative and successful video game product has ever hit the market, it was made by Nintendo.

Prove me wrong. You can't.
__________________
3DS friendcode: 1118-0226-7975
  #17  
Old 03-31-2017, 11:31 PM
kia345 kia345 is offline
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: delteria
Posts: 6,737
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
nintendo games are only "innovative" because they keep making ridiculous gimmick controllers that the games have to "innovate" to use. every game that hasn't been that has been shovelware whether it was good or bad. "innovation" doesn't mean anything. it's a made up metric that people like to parrot in place of anything substantial.

as for "successful", which is marginally real if you consider that sales, "almost 100%" must mean "under 50%, most of which is from the 80/90s or rehashes of something from the 80/90s (0 "innovation"). and "under half" is not a contender for "the best"


nintendo is your number 1 source for remakes of good nintendo games

nintendo doesn't even have blast processing
__________________
pojo
  #18  
Old 04-03-2017, 12:15 AM
Kamaeru Kamaeru is offline
Sandinista!
Kamaeru's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,040
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by kia345 View Post
as for "successful", which is marginally real if you consider that sales, "almost 100%" must mean "under 50%, most of which is from the 80/90s or rehashes of something from the 80/90s (0 "innovation"). and "under half" is not a contender for "the best"
Can anyone successfully read this sentence?^
__________________
3DS friendcode: 1118-0226-7975
  #19  
Old 04-03-2017, 05:34 PM
kia345 kia345 is offline
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: delteria
Posts: 6,737
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaeru View Post
You criticize them anyway.
also I don't criticize nintendo, I criticize nintendo fans. nintendo's fine, they're the best producers of average content around


anyone who thinks bayo or any other nintendo exclusive plays better than nier is bananas
__________________
pojo
  #20  
Old 04-04-2017, 12:48 AM
Kamaeru Kamaeru is offline
Sandinista!
Kamaeru's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,040
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by kia345 View Post
also I don't criticize nintendo, I criticize nintendo fans. nintendo's fine, they're the best producers of average content around


anyone who thinks bayo or any other nintendo exclusive plays better than nier is bananas
I've played both extensively, there is absolutely no comparison. Nier is good but has major problems with the gameplay (very similar quality situation to other recent games by Platinum such as Transformers Devastation), Bayonetta 2 is well known palpably and established in the action game community as the best action game ever made (subjective opinion, sure, but nier isn't getting unanimous praise at all so the contrast is stark here).

Zelda BOTW on the other hand is better than both games.

You're arguing from an emotional, reactionary, knee-jerk position because you personally hate Nintendo and the people who enjoy their games. I do not personally hate Sony, I just disagree with what they do. I think they are dangerous and self-destructive to the video game industry. Can you imagine having this position? Something that isn't entirely condemning the people you disagree with for your own sense of righteousness? I just don't hate them, I'm not stupid enough to fall into this emotional trap with them. Playstation is a good system and their fans are pretty cool too. Just because it's not as good as Nintendo systems, there's not anything wrong with that. I have said nothing even defammatory about the validity of that platform for games, which is why I have pointed it out as a possible target platform.

My main issue with PS4 is that the square button is too close to the pause button/touch pad. I tried playing Mega Man collection and it made me want to kill myself because I would accidentally pause about 30% of the time I was trying to press the shoot button. Playstation isn't wack. Nobody is wack, they just need to work on their stuff a little better before jumping into a nuanced and honest debate about facts and evidence that back up positions about what is demonstrably a better design.

Can't handle when people give you a hard time for your preference of video game? Suck it up, Nintendo fans have been dealing with this for their entire lives. It's not going to stop, it's going to get worse, and eventually Sony will even release a platform that bombs even worse than PS3 and Vita. There are going to be ups and downs, and there are going to be people who are going to make fun of you for preference. It's petty and tribalistic, yeah, but Nintendo fans have had the worst end of this stick for almost 20-30 years. Now Sony fans are butthurt that the tables are turning a bit, and it's beyond hilarious to watch them unable to receive what they have dished out.

If you go around saying "Zelda isn't that amazing of a game!", what is going to happen is that every time a reasonably mannered human being (someone who probably owns a Wii U and a copy of the game) hears you say it you will lose a ton of credibility points. It's a really really really good game.

There, now you can blame me for derailing the thread even though my original post was completely on-topic. Now back to playing Zelda.
__________________
3DS friendcode: 1118-0226-7975

Last edited by Kamaeru; 04-04-2017 at 02:34 AM..
  #21  
Old 04-04-2017, 10:04 AM
StrykerTFFD StrykerTFFD is offline
Nemo
StrykerTFFD's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 453
StrykerTFFD will become famous soon enough
I guess some things never change.
  #22  
Old 04-04-2017, 08:01 PM
kia345 kia345 is offline
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: delteria
Posts: 6,737
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaeru View Post
<Nier feeling at all like some of Platinum's shitty recent releases>
Yeah sorry now I really don't think you a solid try

Quote:
Zelda BOTW on the other hand is better than both games.
Maybe for the first half hour

Quote:
You're arguing from an emotional, reactionary, knee-jerk position

Didn't you just make up a line about almost 100% (under 50%) of "successful games" are Nintendo, along with some drivel that the Wii U is a successful console despite being outsold by everything else to laughable degrees with main reason being a terrible library


Quote:
because you personally hate Nintendo and the people who enjoy their games.

Nah, I just think too many people are far too biased when it comes to them because they're the emotional reactionaries. Nintendo's recent history has had a **** ton of mediocrity, and Nintendo's safety net is the exact opposite of innovation, it's reselling or rehashing old successes. You already stupidly praised them for "innovation" without explaining what that meant. That same innovation that launched the worst selling console of last generation, with oh-so-innovative controller. Or is a new Mario side scroller every year what you meant by innovation?


And BoTW is a solid 8/10.




Quote:
I do not personally hate Sony, I just disagree with what they do. I think they are dangerous and self-destructive to the video game industry. Can you imagine having this position? Something that isn't entirely condemning the people you disagree with for your own sense of righteousness? I just don't hate them, I'm not stupid enough to fall into this emotional trap with them.
How dare they produce successful video games and consoles to a changing market. That's the real innovation, the kind that makes money. And I dunno, you sound like the one with a really warped sense of righteousness. I'm just calling you out on blatant lies and general overhyping of an above average product. I don't hate either company, nor do I like them. They're companies. They just exist. But you certainly are stupid enough to fall into an emotional trap.


Quote:
Just because it's not as good as Nintendo systems
Aren't they objectively better machines that routinely ship more games, with the Wii being a fluke because of its party games, which was also the first and last time "innovation" worked out?

Quote:
My main issue with PS4 is that the square button is too close to the pause button/touch pad.

Yeah sony controllers have always been **** tbf, gamecube and dreamcast had it right

Quote:
Can't handle when people give you a hard time for your preference of video game? Suck it up, Nintendo fans have been dealing with this for their entire lives. It's not going to stop, it's going to get worse, and eventually Sony will even release a platform that bombs even worse than PS3 and Vita. There are going to be ups and downs, and there are going to be people who are going to make fun of you for preference. It's petty and tribalistic, yeah, but Nintendo fans have had the worst end of this stick for almost 20-30 years. Now Sony fans are butthurt that the tables are turning a bit, and it's beyond hilarious to watch them unable to receive what they have dished out.
Man I haven't even owned a Sony console since the PSP so I don't really know where you're pulling this Sonyfan **** from, but Nintendo fans have been dealing with this because they're mostly obsessive weirdos who think their detached, mediocre company that pumps a lot of garbage and a few gems is any different than the other detached, mediocre companies that pump out a lot garbage and few gems. At least irrational Sonyfans have the courtesy to stay out of sight and write Kingdom Hearts fanfic.

Quote:
If you go around saying "Zelda isn't that amazing of a game!", what is going to happen is that every time a reasonably mannered human being (someone who probably owns a Wii U and a copy of the game) hears you say it you will lose a ton of credibility points. It's a really really really good game.
It is a pretty good game but it is by no stretch of the imagination the game that it is being celebrated as. It's gameplay is nice and smooth but it's also very simple to an almost insulting degree because it never threatens the player with any complexity, and while the story is leagues deeper than the typical Zelda game it's still a very shallow and one dimensional one beyond the opening. It's a good Zelda game. It's a good game in general. But it is not perfect, and it's not close to perfect. It's certainly one of the best open world games that I've stopped giving a **** about to be released this decade, but it's not the best by any means. It's shallow. Shallow in mechanics, shallow in story, and shallow in scope. Which is fine, plenty of great games are shallow. I couldn't begin to tell you what Gauntlet is about, but I still love that piece of ****. But if a game is going to be praised as jesus in a box it better off something more than "the usual but a bit better". So yeah, if one of the six people in the world who own a Wii U wanna come at me, be my guest.


And Nier is waaaaaay better.
__________________
pojo
  #23  
Old 04-05-2017, 03:34 AM
Kamaeru Kamaeru is offline
Sandinista!
Kamaeru's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,040
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Wii was an amazing system and it has better hardcore games than PS3 / 360 which are failed platforms. You have emotional triggered reactions to the memories of when the wee-wee jokes weren't getting through to all your friends and they all bought the console that was supposedly "not mature". Motion controls were innovative. Many games used them in innovative ways, such as Metroid Prime 3. People have fun with it.

When I make the argument that Wii U has better games than PS4, that's because it's palpable. What even is there on PS4 that compares to the quality level of Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Super Mario Maker, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Xenoblade X, etc?

They literally have no games on a similar tier of quality whatsoever, I'm sorry but Fallout isn't cutting it compared to BOTW and Skyrim is beyond sad.

Want to play the funnest and most innovative new online multiplayer shooter game complete with match lobby times taking around ~5 seconds and zero server lag on your Plebstation/Xbox tier platform? Too bad, they don't have Splatoon on those or even on Steam. If you want to play that you need Wii U or Switch. Honestly, I don't even see a comparison here, Wii U annihilates the other platforms when it comes to quality content that is refreshing to play that I actually enjoy. I get if it's not your personal preference, but Nintendo has consistently amazed me in recent years contrary to your claim that they make mediocre games. I agree, Mario Party is lame, and I never buy those games. They sell like 50 million copies each though and lots of people enjoy them, while Zelda and Metroid games often only sell around 2 million each.

The fact that Nintendo even bothers making the traditional games you're criticizing them for making is actually a blessing they give us, because financially they don't have a huge amount of incentive to do it. They do it for the people like me who actually greatly appreciate them for it, and I assume it's because Kyoto-based business philosophy is greatly concerned with the subjects of honor and integrity.
__________________
3DS friendcode: 1118-0226-7975
  #24  
Old 04-05-2017, 05:20 AM
Kamaeru Kamaeru is offline
Sandinista!
Kamaeru's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,040
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
BTW this thread is super hilarious and entertaining to me now. I really wanted to talk about the actual subject of this thread bahahaha
__________________
3DS friendcode: 1118-0226-7975
  #25  
Old 04-05-2017, 10:38 AM
maximus_asinus maximus_asinus is offline
RIP DarkCloud_PK
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,731
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
I agree, this thread is very interesting. I never got to see fanboyism this close, even after nearly 2 decades on the internet. Keep it up.
__________________
Save Classic!

Last edited by maximus_asinus; 04-05-2017 at 03:15 PM..
  #26  
Old 04-06-2017, 12:26 AM
Lyndzey Lyndzey is offline
Woman
Lyndzey's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,874
Lyndzey is a jewel in the roughLyndzey is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerTFFD View Post
I guess some things never change.
are you still a GP
  #27  
Old 04-06-2017, 01:37 AM
Sinkler Sinkler is offline
.
Sinkler's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 683
Sinkler is a jewel in the roughSinkler is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Sinkler
Hi Lyndzey
__________________
Hello!

If you need to get in contact with me, please send an e-mail to: [email protected]



"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that."

-John Stuart Mill
  #28  
Old 04-06-2017, 12:38 PM
Cubes Cubes is offline
Registered User
Cubes's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 498
Cubes is a jewel in the roughCubes is a jewel in the rough
this thread breaks all the rules, someone pls call a mod
  #29  
Old 04-06-2017, 03:10 PM
kia345 kia345 is offline
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: delteria
Posts: 6,737
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaeru View Post
Wii was an amazing system and it has better hardcore games than PS3 / 360 which are failed platforms.
lmao

Quote:
Metroid Prime 3. People have fun with it.
"as of March 2008, 1.31 million copies of the game were sold worldwide."
"by January 2008, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare had sold more than 7 million copies worldwide"

Wow it's almost like innovation is proven completely meaningless, and Nintendo's true success, like IW's, is in rehashing successful properties.


Quote:
When I make the argument that Wii U has better games than PS4, that's because it's palpable. What even is there on PS4 that compares to the quality level of Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Super Mario Maker, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Xenoblade X, etc?
Yeah I wonder why the Wii U was a flop then

Quote:
They literally have no games on a similar tier of quality whatsoever, I'm sorry but Fallout isn't cutting it compared to BOTW and Skyrim is beyond sad.
No arguments there

Quote:
Want to play the funnest and most innovative new online multiplayer shooter game complete with match lobby times taking around ~5 seconds and zero server lag on your Plebstation/Xbox tier platform? Too bad, they don't have Splatoon on those or even on Steam. If you want to play that you need Wii U or Switch.
Sorry I'll just play Overwatch, "innovation" is, again, a completely meaningless qualifier, and "fun" is subjective. I'm glad it took Nintendo three consoles to get passable online working though.

Quote:
Honestly, I don't even see a comparison here, Wii U annihilates the other platforms when it comes to quality content that is refreshing to play that I actually enjoy. I get if it's not your personal preference, but Nintendo has consistently amazed me in recent years contrary to your claim that they make mediocre games. I agree, Mario Party is lame, and I never buy those games. They sell like 50 million copies each though and lots of people enjoy them, while Zelda and Metroid games often only sell around 2 million each.
See, that's fine, that's subjective. But if you're trying to pitch a Nintendo console as successful, especially the Wii, the only way to back it up is the party games. For every Metroid Prime 3 there was a Red Steel. Remember how "innovative!!" that was? It was terrible, and they had to update the controllers just to make them work like everyone expected them to. "Innovative" "hardcore" games hardly use innovation as more than a gimmick, where the game would be just as or more enjoyable without it. No More Heroes was my favorite new IP when it launched on the Wii, but I can safely say that it's handled better anywhere else. Metroid is, without a doubt, my favorite franchise, especially the Prime games. And 3 is great! But don't brag about it's innovation when I can name off rattle off a handful of other games without motion controls that sold so much more that it's hardly a footnote. Fun and successful are completely unrelated. My favorite game is ****ing E.G.G. and I don't even know if it pushed four digits worth of sales in America, but it's fun as ****. Having fun with something isn't a sign of success.

Quote:
They do it for the people like me who actually greatly appreciate them for it, and I assume it's because Kyoto-based business philosophy is greatly concerned with the subjects of honor and integrity.
They it do it because they need to pay yakuza debts, probably

The best thing Nintendo has going for them is that they're the only ones who still believe in local co-op.
__________________
pojo
  #30  
Old 04-06-2017, 07:18 PM
sandin sandin is offline
Registered User
sandin's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Mexico
Posts: 220
sandin has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sandin
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
I agree, this thread is very interesting. I never got to see fanboyism this close, even after nearly 2 decades on the internet. Keep it up.
What the man said.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright (C) 1998-2019 Toonslab All Rights Reserved.