Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Playerworld Metrics

I want to make a system for measuring relevant playerworld metrics. The reason I bring it up like this is I would like for the end system to be modular. A series of default tracking modules which utilize some simplistic tracking code (you track a quantity to a specific value with one command for all modules).

Tracked data should probably be stored in a database or some other dataset which could be easily parsed. This way visualization (graphing, reporting, etc) could be very easily set up.

I'm not sure of all the options we would need for this to be really effective. Any suggestions? I think the big goal here is to be able to first track player metrics and then visualize them. If we can produce a single easy to use system which can be deployed on any server (whether it be gold or playerworld) would be the big win in my opinion.

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but it would be very nice if the visualization could be done via browser (in tandem with in-game visualizations). Sort of like Graal Statistics.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
To clarify, by metrics you mean stats I assume?

Stat tracking is a great way to find balance issues in games.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
To clarify, by metrics you mean stats I assume?

Stat tracking is a great way to find balance issues in games.
Yea, but initially it would be all about storing data. That way we can just generate "analysis" modules for specific types of statistics.
  1. Easy Tracking Code
  2. Single repository for data, open to access by all metric modules.
  3. Scheduled report generation
  4. Report Visualizations

That's how I think it would be done, but I can't do this myself. We first need some suggestions in what the first few metric modules should do and then how we should do the easy tracking code. Once that's done the repository could be made... and once the bugs are worked out of all the previous steps, visualization could be started.

This is a really easy project if we create an effective framework for it to all work cohesively within, but we need to define the framework first. I think creating visualizations will be a lot more tricky, even with very mature metric modules. Perhaps google's graphing API will be useful.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:24 PM
iZone Administrator
Matt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the rough
Any updates regarding this?
Old 04-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Boom!
Hasn't been any interest. I don't have the talent to begin on the scripting side. I haven't checked further but an open source analytical system like Pikwik may be able to handle this easier.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:02 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
So, what you want is a script that gathers statistical information, stores it into a database, then reports it to a server regularly for parsing, graphs, etc.? I don't think that would be terribly difficult. But don't get your heart set on a code that people can understand after reading GS2 101.

If you're looking for a script that also does the parsing and visualizations, it's considerably more difficult. GS2 has no existing framework for graph creation, unlike PHP and other dynamic server-side languages.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:56 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
No. This is not Call of Duty.

You don't need to track statistics, and that would only add to the decline of the gold standard of game design.

Why do you think that Nintendo usually does not add stat-tracking in their games? Super Smash Bros. Melee may be a huge landmark in the stat-tracking video game world, but keep in mind that much of that stat tracking is based around nonsense terms and made up nintendo mumbo-jumbo. Also, everyone knows that SSB is a non-competitive game, specifically designed for fun in gameplay, and never intended for it to matter who won the game. If you're going to make stat-tracking, you must make sure it revolves around fun and not around numbers.

Think about it first!
Old 05-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaeru View Post

You don't need to track statistics, and that would only add to the decline of the gold standard of game design.

Why do you think that Nintendo usually does not add stat-tracking in their games? Super Smash Bros. Melee may be a huge landmark in the stat-tracking video game world, but keep in mind that much of that stat tracking is based around nonsense terms and made up nintendo mumbo-jumbo. Also, everyone knows that SSB is a non-competitive game, specifically designed for fun in gameplay, and never intended for it to matter who won the game. If you're going to make stat-tracking, you must make sure it revolves around fun and not around numbers.

Think about it first!
None of this makes sense.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:14 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaeru View Post

Think about it first!
The stats gathered are meant for the staff who should then be able to evaluate and make decisions based upon it. Not for players which is what I assume you're talking about.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
On my server I'm keeping track of stats extensively using SQLite. Anything from general kill count to damage dealt with a specific weapon or class is being stored. Not only will it help me balance the server, but the stats tie in with achievement, leader-board, and unlock systems.

I can easily pick out which class is being used the most, how it compares to other classes based on averages, and also spot outliers to catch hackers, bug abuse, etc without relying on players to report the problem.

I'm not sure what the OP is really asking for, but the way I'm doing it is very simple because SQLite pretty much does everything for me. All I have to do is keep an organized database, and call a function to increase the values.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Boom!
I'm more interested in player timezones, geographical location, spending (gelat), and some information I can mine from that - such as ideal prices, optimum time zones, etc.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:51 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
and of course kills/deaths to confirm crono is indeed da best
Old 05-20-2010, 12:25 AM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Still a lame idea.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:09 AM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I'm more interested in player timezones, geographical location, spending (gelat), and some information I can mine from that - such as ideal prices, optimum time zones, etc.
Is there a guide somewhere on how to even access the gelat shop? Finding timezones and geographical location is easy enough, but I know literally nothing about gelats.