Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Questions about V6
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 08:48 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmoothcriminal View Post
Just because you use 20 of crap ass soulja boy doesnt make it legal. The amount of seconds of Soulja boy u can use is 0.
That's not true at all. Using a 20 second sample of music falls under Fair Use. Also the argument that because Graal charges for its game, streaming music is a violation of copyright law, as Graal is "making money from the music" is heavily flawed. GraalOnline is not using the music to encourage people to buy a subscription.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:04 PM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
That's not true at all. Using a 20 second sample of music falls under Fair Use. Also the argument that because Graal charges for its game, streaming music is a violation of copyright law, as Graal is "making money from the music" is heavily flawed. GraalOnline is not using the music to encourage people to buy a subscription.
And in defense to that 20 second bit of Soulja boy, I'm assuming this is related to UN's npc, it can just be called a parody, which in that case is totally legal.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Hired/Fired
CharlieM will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to CharlieM Send a message via MSN to CharlieM
Whoever says using music at all is against copyright violations your wrong, A.) Whenever you pay to download or pay to use the music you have a license of which streaming falls under if someone has payed for the song to use on there streaming website. If you do not profit from it which no one is profiting from a 4 second loop of soulja boy it is also not going to be taken up. Streaming is not illegal it is a way of not abusing copyrights

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

Eric Hoffer

turned that one on you didn't I.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Lv.1 Internet Bully
thesmoothcriminal will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to thesmoothcriminal Send a message via Yahoo to thesmoothcriminal
Quote:
No your wrong, YOU CANT USE SAMPLES!! not even 20 second ones, not even 2 seconds.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...UpBl_NdhJI1ehw

The music becomes part of the product and the product is bought. If the RIAA has a problem with second life doing it then graal does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyone
Using internet radio/streaming is ok because of x
Look at the terms of use on the internet radio site, they all use similar, if not the same.

http://www.shoutcast.com/disclaimer.phtml

moral of the story, no internet radio without consent.

Last edited by thesmoothcriminal; 09-28-2008 at 09:47 AM..
Old 09-28-2008, 06:02 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
The music becomes part of the product and the product is bought. If the RIAA has a problem with second life doing it then graal does.
Your argument would never hold up in court. First of all, GraalOnline isn't authorizing the music being on the server. Second of all, nobody is making any money off of the music, since the music isn't being used in an advertising manner. Even if it is against copyright law, sueing a company over a 12 year old uploading an MP3, which is nearly impossible on Graal, due to filesize limitations, simply wouldn't hold up in court, especially since the GraalOnline TOS says that they hold no responsibility if you upload illegal material (at least, there was the last time I checked it). Thirdly, streaming is legal. That's why websites that stream illegal movies, but don't host them, rarely get taken down. The only illegal party in streaming is the party that is actually hosting
Old 09-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Lv.1 Internet Bully
thesmoothcriminal will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to thesmoothcriminal Send a message via Yahoo to thesmoothcriminal
Quote:
Your argument would never hold up in court. First of all, GraalOnline isn't authorizing the music being on the server.
Im talking about liability for CJ. Im not arguing that it would hold up in court but it would. Copyright peoples/ RIAA dont care whether its authorized or not! if its there its there

Quote:
Second of all, nobody is making any money off of the music, since the music isn't being used in an advertising manner. Even if it is against copyright law, sueing a company over a 12 year old uploading an MP3, which is nearly impossible on Graal, due to filesize limitations, simply wouldn't hold up in court, especially since the GraalOnline TOS says that they hold no responsibility if you upload illegal material (at least, there was the last time I checked it).
This will simply if for you. Graal = commercial. Music in graal = used for commercial purpose. Using music for commercial purpose = violation of Terms of use among other things like copyright jazz.

Anyone can sue anyone no matter how small of an issue, as long as that issue is a violation of the law.

Graal can claim no responsibility but i doesnt just magically legally absolve them.

Quote:
Thirdly, streaming is legal. That's why websites that stream illegal movies, but don't host them, rarely get taken down. The only illegal party in streaming is the party that is actually hosting
Dude streaming is legal as long as it follows the terms of use! didnt you read the link. Trust me there are many agencies trying to take down those sites down. The original tv-links went down for that reason (http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...r_arrested.php). Streaming copyrighted movies is illegal. Alot of the time its hard to shut these sites down because they are in countries with little laws regarding copyright .
Old 09-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Atrius Manager
TheJames can only hope to improve
As long as your not making money off of it, your allowed to use it. Or claiming it as your "own music"

James,
Manager of Atrius
Old 09-28-2008, 08:38 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJames View Post
As long as your not making money off of it, your allowed to use it. Or claiming it as your "own music"
It could be said that Graal makes money off of playing music. It improves the game, convincing others to upgrade.

If someone wanted to sue Graal for that, they probably could.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Atrius Manager
TheJames can only hope to improve
Doubt it though. But a small possibility.

James,
Manager of Atrius
Old 09-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Hired/Fired
I really, really doubt soulja boy or his recording company would wish to sue a company that makes like 6,000 a year, he probably makes that in an hour

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

Eric Hoffer

Old 09-30-2008, 12:37 AM
master of infinite loops
Quote:
This will simply if for you. Graal = commercial. Music in graal = used for commercial purpose. Using music for commercial purpose = violation of Terms of use among other things like copyright jazz.
I would like to see some of this money come my way, if Graal's making so much as a result of music. I make a lot of levels with music in them.
Quote:
Graal can claim no responsibility but i doesnt just magically legally absolve them.
Yes, it does. This is why an ISP doesn't get in trouble when somebody is doing something illegal over the internet. The ISP says that the user claims sole responsibility over their actions, and that they cannot be held liable for any illegal activities
Old 09-30-2008, 12:43 AM
Hired/Fired
Just to solve this issue someone call soulja boy and ask if you can use a 3 second clip of his song on your server on a game that has an average of what 500 players a day?

Eric Hoffer

Old 09-30-2008, 02:05 AM
comet is on a distinguished road
Then someone tell me why we have radios on most servers.
And does this mean people can't be playing endless songs on their flute or w/e they use?
Pathetic
Old 09-30-2008, 02:39 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
I would like to see some of this money come my way, if Graal's making so much as a result of music. I make a lot of levels with music in them.
Graal makes far more money as a result of scripts. Even people like Tig, who manage gold servers, don't even receive free upgrades (or he didn't before).
Old 10-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Yes, it does. This is why an ISP doesn't get in trouble when somebody is doing something illegal over the internet. The ISP says that the user claims sole responsibility over their actions, and that they cannot be held liable for any illegal activities
ISPs have a special legal status that Graal does not have.

And ISPs still react to illegal behaviour by their customers.