Go Back   Graal Forums > Gold Servers > Graal Kingdoms > Kingdoms > Dustari
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2004, 09:20 PM
Foxy
Butz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Butz
A Dustarian School?

An open letter to the citizens and nobility of Dustari:

As I was sitting along the beach south of Borea the other evening, contemplating the forces of nature, and how as a mage, they can be bent to a person's will, I also began to consider the mortality of creatures in general. The main fact of life is that eventually, everyone must face the end of it. People cannot live forever, and even though I am still young in years, there is always the possibility of a tragic accident or the like occurring. After all, I myself went missing for quite some time due to a mishap at sea. What I am getting at however, is that though people cannot last through the ages, the knowledge and information that we know CAN. By passing down what we have learned to later generations, we can save them the trouble of researching it themselves, therefore, allowing them to advance forward even further. If the knowledge of the present is not passed on, there can be no knowledge of the future.
So, in light of this, I propose that a school be constructed on the island. The citizens can be rallied to provide support in building, and of course can be compensated by some of the funds that the kingdom has accrued. Afterwards, we would need to find people worthy of teaching classes. I myself would be interested in teaching classes on the theories, principles, and use of Magic. I was also thinking that there could be classes on sailing, military strategy, and even farming techniques. Of course, these are only my ideas, and I'm sure there is much more information that can be passed along that I have not listed.
Anyway, this has become quite a lengthy letter, so I shall end it here, as by now I have probably lost the interest of the reader, and my paw is somewhat cramped from using this quill anyway.

Signed,
Shawn Laurent Kelfonne

FoxKelfonne @ DeviantART(updated: Dec 14, 2010)
Many Thanks to konidias for my avatar

Shawn Kelfonne - Aegis Mage of Dustari
Old 12-30-2004, 09:46 PM
foxyrain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butz
An open letter to the citizens and nobility of Dustari:

As I was sitting along the beach south of Borea the other evening, contemplating the forces of nature, and how as a mage, they can be bent to a person's will, I also began to consider the mortality of creatures in general. The main fact of life is that eventually, everyone must face the end of it. People cannot live forever, and even though I am still young in years, there is always the possibility of a tragic accident or the like occurring. After all, I myself went missing for quite some time due to a mishap at sea. What I am getting at however, is that though people cannot last through the ages, the knowledge and information that we know CAN. By passing down what we have learned to later generations, we can save them the trouble of researching it themselves, therefore, allowing them to advance forward even further. If the knowledge of the present is not passed on, there can be no knowledge of the future.
So, in light of this, I propose that a school be constructed on the island. The citizens can be rallied to provide support in building, and of course can be compensated by some of the funds that the kingdom has accrued. Afterwards, we would need to find people worthy of teaching classes. I myself would be interested in teaching classes on the theories, principles, and use of Magic. I was also thinking that there could be classes on sailing, military strategy, and even farming techniques. Of course, these are only my ideas, and I'm sure there is much more information that can be passed along that I have not listed.
Anyway, this has become quite a lengthy letter, so I shall end it here, as by now I have probably lost the interest of the reader, and my paw is somewhat cramped from using this quill anyway.

Signed,
Shawn Laurent Kelfonne
Both I and Padren fully agree with this proposal. It was in our minds to do this during our past reign, however, things complicated the building and we never got that accomplished. I believe the ex-Cardinal was heading it up or someone that plays no longer.

This would be a very constructive thing and assist Dustarians in knowing past history, magic and various other skills. Please get with me Shawn on the details of this. I think perhaps people like Zurkiba and Gryffon could also add to this and perhaps assist in teaching.

Excellent idea

Queen Zoe Sagesun - Dustari
Old 12-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Mister 1,000,000
GoZelda will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GoZelda Send a message via MSN to GoZelda
Won't raise Dustari out of the mud, trust me. You barely use your Cathedral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
stefan is satan
I am the best.
[URL removed]Music or aural pollution?
Old 12-30-2004, 09:54 PM
Assimilated Zurkiba
Zurkiba is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zurkiba
The University was Gryffon's idea
Old 12-30-2004, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurkiba
The University was Gryffon's idea
Well, I knew it was someone's - just wasn't sure who. But an excellent idea at that.

Zoe Sagesun
Old 12-30-2004, 10:16 PM
The Driftwood of Graal
GryffonDurime is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to GryffonDurime
*Looks up at the thread, after tossing a hatchet in a hole and covering it with dirt*

Such a University was originally the reason I was given the title of Chancellor- it refers to the head of a school, and not a vizier, but things change.

I'd love to help out, and considering the Mage's Tower may never be finished, they need some place to work their magic. If we could only get someone to finish the script for Private Rooms it would be of a great help.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:25 PM
busyrobot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryffonDurime
*Looks up at the thread, after tossing a hatchet in a hole and covering it with dirt*

Such a University was originally the reason I was given the title of Chancellor- it refers to the head of a school, and not a vizier, but things change.

I'd love to help out, and considering the Mage's Tower may never be finished, they need some place to work their magic. If we could only get someone to finish the script for Private Rooms it would be of a great help.
The private room script surpisingly complete, I think there are two versions that are nearly done actually. I would have finished it but my gaalscript experience is limited and I think there was some bugs in the string manipulation...I'd have to double check.

We also have the acadamy of arms, but we don't have anyone who can do decent custom graphics, and we could really use the 'z axis door' script to make that happen, since there is supposed to be a door going out to the balcony outside, and when you go in/out the player's z axis would need to change as if they were on a zeplin. I've tried manipulating the z axis with scripts but nothing seemed to show up right.

I think that a school is a good idea because its smaller and more generalized, and its easy to go overboard and add things that are bigger than the community base, then it doesn't fit as well and gets used less. A school though seems perfect.

"Uh, Professor, are we even allowed in the Forbidden Zone?"
"Why, of course! It's just a name, like the Death Zone or the Zone of No Return. All the zones have names like that in the Galaxy of Terror."
Old 12-30-2004, 10:26 PM
Scripter
CaTigus is on a distinguished road
A while back at a Dustari meeting I suggested a Role Play school to help our members better understand the difference of Out of Character and In character. Gryffon and I agreed we could teach it.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:28 PM
The Driftwood of Graal
GryffonDurime is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to GryffonDurime
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaTigus
A while back at a Dustari meeting I suggested a Role Play school to help our members better understand the difference of Out of Character and In character. Gryffon and I agreed we could teach it.
THis is more for In Character development
Old 12-30-2004, 10:44 PM
Yes, Yes, Yes..... let's get with it. All of your ideas are very good. How about a meeting with Padren and I at your convenience? Let me know when all of you can be present - what day, what time etc. I love it when we put our heads together and come up with GOOD ideas to build

Queen Zoe Sagesun - Dustari
Old 12-30-2004, 10:52 PM
Foxy
Butz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Butz
I am available most times at night (10:30 PM - 1:00 AM Eastern Time) tomorrow night (New Year's Eve) being an exception.

FoxKelfonne @ DeviantART(updated: Dec 14, 2010)
Many Thanks to konidias for my avatar

Shawn Kelfonne - Aegis Mage of Dustari
Old 12-30-2004, 11:18 PM
Mister 1,000,000
GoZelda will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GoZelda Send a message via MSN to GoZelda
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyrobot
but we don't have anyone who can do decent custom graphics, and we could really use the 'z axis door' script to make that happen, since there is supposed to be a door going out to the balcony outside, and when you go in/out the player's z axis would need to change as if they were on a zeplin. I've tried manipulating the z axis with scripts but nothing seemed to show up right.
I could have a look at that script, and possibly make some graphics too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
stefan is satan
I am the best.
[URL removed]Music or aural pollution?
Old 12-31-2004, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZelda
WONDERFUL!!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2004, 02:28 AM
busyrobot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZelda
Are you on debug? The script revolved around database-npcs and such, so it can't be tested or run offline, but if you have debug then it would be easy enough to work on.

"Uh, Professor, are we even allowed in the Forbidden Zone?"
"Why, of course! It's just a name, like the Death Zone or the Zone of No Return. All the zones have names like that in the Galaxy of Terror."
Old 12-31-2004, 04:41 AM
gwtfc***mattrs/gpsof
Splke is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Splke Send a message via Yahoo to Splke
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyrobot
Are you on debug? The script revolved around database-npcs and such, so it can't be tested or run offline, but if you have debug then it would be easy enough to work on.
... Stupid question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haunter
No, that would look stupid, shut your stupid face, stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa
In the words of the great Argosax

WOOHOO BOOBIES