Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 05:42 AM
graal player lord
Imperialistic is a jewel in the roughImperialistic is a jewel in the rough
Scripting Help?

For pete sake, what is so wrong with players asking for help.. Seriously its okay for a newbie LAT to ask for help on his/her level but god forbid someone trying to actually learn and develop for Graal has a question.. Everyone has a reply of a quote about the forum rules about it..

I really think it should be changed.. If the player needs help.. give it to him, if you don't want to help him/her, simply ignore it and don't post.

Quote:
1. Be clear on your ability level. In other words, do not post asking for scripts, or asking people to fix scripts that are above your ability level. If you are writing a script to aid learning, then try writing a simpler script. If you are looking for a script for a server, then the best solution is probably to hire a scripter.

2. Similarly, do not just post whole scripts for people as a response to their difficulties. If you wish to post a wordy solution, then please feel free; however, please do not post things that people can just copy and paste. It isn't helping people to learn just by doing so. If you'd like to show off your scripts to others, post them in the Code Gallery subforum.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:54 AM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
I think it's to help with your learning. No free scripts so you figure it out yourself.

btw, I learned how to script from nothing by the predefined NPCs, and then refined it through reading posts here. That was before i even had a p2p account.

Best way to learn would be to read the guides posted by other users. If you're not willing to learn that way, then it's pretty obvious that you just want everything done for you.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:00 AM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
Helping is one thing, people asking for whole scripts is another.
There are good reasons for those rules
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Old 07-19-2008, 06:00 AM
graal player lord
I know but still, they SHOULD be helped..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene159 View Post
Helping is one thing, people asking for whole scripts is another.
There are good reasons for those rules
Yeah agreed.. but most people think if they ask a question that they need help on.. they think they're giving them the script..
Old 07-19-2008, 06:03 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I learned by going through the old level pack that used to be provided with Graal and messing with scripts. I loved my little beer mug boomerang...

Sadly, you just can't learn that way anymore.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:07 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
People who ask for scripts are just going to use them; they don't try to learn off of them.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:08 AM
Banned
xAzerothx has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to xAzerothx Send a message via MSN to xAzerothx Send a message via Yahoo to xAzerothx
I'd ask for a completed script so I could see how you made it. Then I'd be able to learn from it.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:15 AM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Well usually if it's something simple I'll script it for them even though it's against the rules to ask, but if it's a complex system and I know they just want it for their server and they're not even going to learn off of it then they can forget it. Sadly I've been negative repped quite a few times just for helping people like that.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 07-19-2008, 06:22 AM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
Seriously, I had a door and a light to go off of. With that, and the commands listed on the side, I learned most of GS1. Took me until I started posting and reading threads here to understand the serverside thing.
Now, I don't think that's a good way to learn, the best would be to read the guides.

The rules were put in place so that people wouldn't just steal scripts and not learn from them. Maybe someone will be nice and PM you one, but what's so hard about reading the guides? They're a lot better than trying to learn from other peoples scripts. If you ask for a script, it's probably because you plan to use it.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:23 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
There are plenty of scripts to learn from in the Code Gallery.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:11 AM
My empire of dirt
Twinny is just really niceTwinny is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Twinny
It really is up to the community to provide the resources for the new guys. Either via the Wiki or other (like my page), its the only way new people can learn.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:21 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
PHP Code:
//Created by Aeko (Clockwork) and no one else.
//July 19th 2008 
I got this far, but I can't figure out how to finish it to make it an online level editor with support for a custom tileset with support for layers. Finish it please?
Old 07-19-2008, 10:12 AM
That one guy...
zokemon is a jewel in the roughzokemon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
PHP Code:
//Created by Aeko (Clockwork) and no one else.
//July 19th 2008 
I got this far, but I can't figure out how to finish it to make it an online level editor with support for a custom tileset with support for layers. Finish it please?
Copy cat

Mine's this far:
PHP Code:
//#CLIENTSIDE
function onCreated() {

makeStuff();

Old 07-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Skyld
I have no issue whatsoever with using pseudocode to demonstrate a point, neither do I have any issue with people explaining every excruciating detail on how to do something. What I do object to is people who expect others to do the work for them, which is why those two rules are there. If we just paste a full script, we don't know if it will just get copied, pasted and used with no further observation - in which case, nothing learned, nothing gained. In that case, it would have been better for someone to have hired a scripter for their server instead of using someone else's time for your own means. Similarly, people posting very long scripts and asking people to fix them doesn't help the situation either, since you should be taking it steps at a time and trying to understand small sections. Walking before you run. People should be learning the routine steps of scripting. For instance, a lot of posts in the scripting forum would be resolved if people would just learn to read the wiki or /scripthelp in RC.

There's a big difference between asking "Can someone explain how to X?" which is acceptable, and "Can someone do Y for me?" which isn't. If you feel that you need some reference material to look at, then there is plenty of scripting in the code gallery to browse (although you may need to tweak the forum settings to show posts further in the past to see more), and there are documents on the Graal Bible also. I really don't see it necessary to change the rules.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:24 PM
graal player lord
I don't want the rules changed, I think making it a little bit more clear would be a bit better Skyld.