Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2011, 09:51 PM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Ol' West Returns, Hiring

Overview

Most of you are familiar, at least of its legacy, with Ol' West. Ol' West is GraalOnline's first and only large-scale western shooter server. I have been asked to begin working on it again, and now we are looking for development help to bring Ol' West to the forefront of Graal.

For those of you who are not familiar with Ol' West, I posted a preview several years ago when it was still in development:

Finer details about the project will be revealed later.

What Positions Are Available (in order of importance, subject to change as project nears completion)
  1. Advanced LEVEL DESIGNERS capable of being creative and developing unique ideas and solutions for common problems that any level designer might encounter. This is not to say that you cannot ask other members of the team for help.
  2. GRAPHIC ARTIST willing to create aesthetic graphics (bushes, potted plants, possibly houses, tiles, etc).
  3. SCRIPTERS applying must be able to create things extremely efficiently while still maintaining pleasant composure on the product. Must be willing to accept advice in order to improve yourself.

We will be collaborating and communicating via AIM, email and google docs.

Requirements
  • Positive, respectable attitude. Poor attitudes are nonconstructive and unhealthy for the entire team and will not be tolerated at all.
  • AIM/ICQ, email, and a google account.
  • Must not share a computer with anyone else on Graal.
  • Willingness to work even if your ideas are rejected.
  • Ability to not share work and ideas outside of the team via screenshot, logs, and any other methods. The term "work" includes, but is not limited to our confidential plans, unreleased graphics, levels, and anything else which could be considered in any way property of the Ol' West project.

Payments and Compensation

Aside from working with the latest technologies in Graal, you may be compensated (depending on your work ethic) with gelats, promised staff position upon release, working with an organized goal-oriented team, résumé material, access to Ol' West, and even more.

Application Process

Levels Artists
A level artist must submit 1 inside level, 1 outside level (using any tileset, preferably pics1.png), and 5 other of their favorite levels they've made (any tileset). The inside and outside level must go into a folder called "application" and the other 5 levels must go in a folder called "extra". Place both folders into a zip file. Name the zip file <your account name>.zip - if you don't have an account, please make one at www.graalonline.com.

Graphics Artists
Submit a portfolio with some of your work in docx or pdf format. Name it <your account name>.docx or pdf.

Scripters
Send 2 examples of what you believe to be your best work and explain how it works. Explain why it's better than what is already available to the community, and how it is efficient. Please discuss any challenges you faced while completing the examples. Name the example files <your account name>1.txt and <your account name>2.txt

Submit applications to [email protected] with the subject of "Ol' West: <Desired Position>". Please also submit your portfolio and/or a brief overview of your experience.
If we are interested, we will contact you back for a followup.

Best of luck to anyone who applies.

Postscript:
Graal Kingdoms and Kingdoms iPhone are still very much in development and are not being abandoned. The staff teams on all projects are separate and each team is working diligently to provide updates.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”

Last edited by Tigairius; 07-06-2011 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: pics0.png -> pics1.png
Old 07-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Jazz teh Awesome
oo_jazz_oo is a jewel in the roughoo_jazz_oo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to oo_jazz_oo
May I inquire as to why this server is being revived? That last time this happened, it sat on the hosted tab for months, then was abandoned.

Not bashing, just wondering why effort is being put here instead of elsewhere on Graal.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:57 PM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by oo_jazz_oo View Post
May I inquire as to why this server is being revived? That last time this happened, it sat on the hosted tab for months, then was abandoned.

Not bashing, just wondering why effort is being put here instead of elsewhere on Graal.
Stefan and unixmad would like to see it succeed, as would I. We are not preparing Ol' West for PC alone this time, but for multiple platforms instead.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:38 PM
patrickp2p is an unknown quantity at this point
OMG! So many great upcoming servers! I remember this definetly! <3 I hope it works out.

Love me or hate me? O:

<--Are Questions Accepted Here? (:
Old 07-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Zormite
BigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond repute
Wicked cool.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:47 AM
Mercury
Sp_lit will become famous soon enough
I think this is great news and I wish you the best of luck with all the work!

Just wondering; about how many level artists will you be hiring?
Old 07-05-2011, 01:57 AM
The Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp_lit View Post
I think this is great news and I wish you the best of luck with all the work!

Just wondering; about how many level artists will you be hiring?
We are only hiring about three, but that could change for exceptional applicants.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:16 AM
ω
Seeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Seeya
Really glad to see this.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:41 AM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Best server ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
Really glad to see this.
You remember..

Gonna take some time to make a application later this week; can't wait for Ol' West to come back!
Era updates, now this..
So excited!

Last edited by Supaman771; 07-05-2011 at 03:33 AM.. Reason: derp
Old 07-05-2011, 03:25 AM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
Im not sure if people would want to put graal on a resume, nonetheless, i loved this server when i saw it so long ago
Old 07-05-2011, 05:11 AM
|Mêrçy|
LordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to all
is my bff chris vimes working here?

ps:will there be a cat gang/mafia of any kind?
Old 07-05-2011, 05:16 AM
The Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquirt View Post
is my bff chris vimes working here?

ps:will there be a cat gang/mafia of any kind?
Chris helps intermittently, but is not a full staff member at this time.

ps: I hadn't planned on it, but maybe I'll make one called The Aristocats.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:46 AM
Delteria
Cloven has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Cloven
Old 07-05-2011, 06:26 AM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloven View Post
pic
Best.
Movie.
Ever.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:57 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
disappointing. i say you focus your efforts on projects already started