Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2005, 02:47 AM
Minoc is a splendid one to beholdMinoc is a splendid one to beholdMinoc is a splendid one to beholdMinoc is a splendid one to beholdMinoc is a splendid one to behold
Password Changing

I believe players should be able to choose their own passwords.
It could possibly increase security, since people wouldn't have to use the "remember my password" function.

Opinions?
Old 01-22-2005, 03:23 AM
Cerebrate
Neoreno is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Neoreno
It's not that hard to remember an eight digit sequence anyway. I remember my password by memory.

Quote:
Exitus Acta Probat: The Outcome Justifies the Deed.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:51 AM
unsoundness
Ibonic will become famous soon enough
A lot of people would probably be tempted to choose weak passwords. So if this is considered, maybe there should be some kind of protection against using dictionary words alone -- e.g. requiring at least a few numbers and/or special characters on the form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoreno
It's not that hard to remember an eight digit sequence anyway. I remember my password by memory.
I remember my passwords fine too, but only by their 'keystrokes'. Meaning I wouldn't be able to write them out on a piece of paper if I tried, unless I first typed out and looked at them for reference.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:55 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
they used to have that feature, and they removed it because it decreased security. I wouldn't recommend it be reinstated, most likely the outside party trying to aquire it would be able to figure it out a lot easier, because it probably would be a word instead of random characters.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:34 AM
Luciano is on a distinguished road
Usually people would use their Graal passwords the same as their AIM passes, or e-mail passes, which are easily hax0rable (Remember, Angel?).
Old 01-22-2005, 06:32 AM
Banned
Slash-P2P is on a distinguished road
I totally want my password to be pizza5000.

I remember server accounts (Server_RC#) could have custom passwords.

I memorize my passwords.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:56 AM
Evil
Evil_Trunks is on a distinguished road
I think it would increase security for the smart people (who pick long passwords which they can easily remember) and decrease security for the dumb people (whose password would be dragon or baseball)

not everyone can remember a whole 8 characters

Old 01-22-2005, 07:52 AM
Shaun will become famous soon enough
I miss my Shaun_LAT account. I think Tyhm deleted it.

I rarely remember the first letter of my password, let alone the rest of it. I never type my password though, so I have no use for remembering it, except for the odd time my cookies go out.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Minoc is a splendid one to beholdMinoc is a splendid one to beholdMinoc is a splendid one to beholdMinoc is a splendid one to beholdMinoc is a splendid one to behold
If people are stupid enough to download trojans, or in this case - choose simple passwords, I don't think they deserve the extra protection. Your account = your responsibility.

Besides, emails (which are used to change the passwords) aren't more secured.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:55 PM
Banned
Slash-P2P is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Trunks
and decrease security for the dumb people (whose password would be dragon or baseball)
pizza5000

I bet theres someone reading this whose going to open Graal, put in my account, and try pizza5000 for a password.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:04 AM
Starting not to love you
Curt1zzle has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Curt1zzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoc
If people are stupid enough to download trojans, or in this case - choose simple passwords, I don't think they deserve the extra protection. Your account = your responsibility.

Agreed.

This message has been deleted by Sam. Reason: you should better stop it now
Old 01-25-2005, 03:49 AM
πr²
smurfmidgetninja is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to smurfmidgetninja Send a message via AIM to smurfmidgetninja Send a message via MSN to smurfmidgetninja Send a message via Yahoo to smurfmidgetninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoc

Basically every site nowadays installs some kind of virus or spyware and they dont even need the message to pop up to let it download....**** Newground.com installs a trojan everytime you enter the site....

and that 8 digit password is hard to memorize...I can memorize my 5 digit number for my school lunch cuz I dunno I have to use it everyday and my e-locker thing at school password its 8 digit but it has a simple word then 4 numbers and I use it often so I remember it but with graal you just copy and paste and it rememberes....maybe if they had it so you had to type the password in everytime it would be easy for people to remember.

"Zombies, man. They creep me out." - Kaufman, Land of the Dead
Old 01-25-2005, 06:36 AM
matt8891 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to matt8891 Send a message via Yahoo to matt8891
Admin-Playerworld## accounts have the option of setting their password to the extent. Only for that AdminPlayerworld## though. And as everybody is saying, if people could choose their own account passwords, account would be cracked left and right assuming alot of people would use 'easy to remember' passwords such as 'butterstick' or something *****ic and easy like that.

Last edited by matt8891; 01-25-2005 at 07:15 PM..
Old 01-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Ex-Graal Global
Spark910 has a spectacular aura about
It would only increase workload for account related problems, thus I do not support it. In the past admins have set custom passwords, and I do not do this and have to say the amount of stolen accounts since I have been admin haven't been that many - it's a handful that keep being taken.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfmidgetninja
Basically every site nowadays installs some kind of virus or spyware and they dont even need the message to pop up to let it download....**** Newground.com installs a trojan everytime you enter the site....
You're extremely exaggerating.

My point is - if people will be able to remember their passwords more easily (by choosing them) they wouldn't have to use the "remember my password" function ---> no 'encrypted' passwords stored in registry ---> trojans are rendered useless ---> less "hacked" accounts.