Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
How to ruin everything that Graal does well.

1. Disable rupee dropping from bushes.
Slashing bushes is still the most entertaining way to earn money, but someone came along and decided that novelty automatically makes you cool, so he invented the mining system. Why do people keep wasting time with mining systems anyway? They're boring!

It doesn't make sense but we don't care.

2. Don't use horses.
They're just cool and they make travelling less annoying.

Not featured: a cool cowboy hat.

3. Customize everything.
Your custom chat system doesn't add anything useful to the original, your custom bodies lack the thousands of heads and hats the original has and your custom movement is pointless if I still can't walk anywhere without bringing camping equipment.

It's good enough!

4. Use chat commands.
Read and learn: http://graal.net/index.php/Creation/...iControls_List
While you're reading stuff anyway, read some articles on how to make an interface that isn't confusing.

Featured: the middle finger to both your players and Stefan's efforts to bring GUIs to Graal.

5. Don't use music.
If you can't make your own, use the stef#.mid files; they're funky!

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 04-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Banned?
zephirot is a name known to allzephirot is a name known to allzephirot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to zephirot Send a message via MSN to zephirot
hurr durr

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixmad
Can you just shut up ?
MAGA
MFGA
MEGA

Last edited by zephirot; 04-23-2009 at 12:21 AM..
Old 04-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Aren't you guilty of like.. most of these?
Old 04-23-2009, 01:04 AM
Prinking Droblem
Geno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Geno
stop crying like a little baby.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:05 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Aren't you guilty of like.. most of these?
Yes, I am, but I was also a huge fan of Classic servers once upon a time, and I still enjoy them. Nothing has gotten close to the awesomeness of Graal the Adventure yet though.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 04-23-2009, 01:58 AM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
I believe this works.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Banned
fragman85 is on a distinguished road
Disable rupee dropping from bushes.

I don't agree with you at this point.
It's just way too easy to earn money like that and people will stop doing it once everyone is rich like hell :o
Old 04-23-2009, 08:21 AM
:o
Mykel has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Mykel Send a message via MSN to Mykel
I miss horses.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Prinking Droblem
Geno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Geno
you can give me all the neg rep you want baby. does not bother me one bit. but at the same time it does not change the fact that every time someone opens this thread they see you crying like a school girl.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:50 PM
a/s/l
Elizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Elizabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykel View Post
I miss horses.
i agree, horses were so cute <3
Old 04-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
stop crying like a little baby.
I dont see anyone crying. I do see someone giving their opinion.

I loved getting stuff from bushes.
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Old 04-23-2009, 07:07 PM
~~Paul
alarid0 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to alarid0 Send a message via MSN to alarid0
Rupees from bushes doesn't really have a single answer. It depends entirely on the mechanics of the rest of the server and what that money is actually used for.
p.s. mining is boring. very...very boring.

The bodies...
Well, what if it does the same thing Graal2001 did? Introduce new bodies, but utilize all the old heads?
If you know me you'd know I heartily support custom bodies but thats's just coming from the perspective of a heavy pixel junkie
With the amount of work it takes to make a good sprite set, though, there is no reason that old bodies can't be used.

Chat commands...
You're making no sense here. You hate chat commands...but you're angry at Stefan and do not support the addition of GUI's? Those two...are DIRECTLY contradicting each other!

Music...
Ew.
No.
Music adds nothing. Nothing.
A good solid custom tileset brings FAR more than a few midi files thrown in. Do you really leave the midis on? Who else? Lets say you had a dozen really good music files. For an mmorpg where you'll spend a lot of your time sitting around and chatting, unless the music is mostly ambience it's going to become annoying. Fast. Consider Graal Kingdoms. They brought in the music from Bjorn Lynn, and it's some really nice stuff. I had it on for a while, but it does get old. I would much rather turn the music off and have winamp running a list of a few thousand songs rather than sit there with the same one playing over and over.

edit: Okay, so I suppose "NOTHING!" is a bit drastic. If it has some nice music it is nice to have it on for the first few times, it can nicely set the mood for the game. Just keep in mind that it won't stay forever.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
1. Disable rupee dropping from bushes.
Utterly necessary for money to actually mean anything. I suppose at the time it was a technical necessity for the transition to serverside scripting where the client is not allowed to spawn its own rupees. Mining is not the economy to end all economies, but it was new and exciting at the time and was supplemented by a bunch of other activities.

Quote:
2. Don't use horses.
Classic-style horses were mostly irritating and, well, clientside. G2k1 horses were pretty fun but tended to get stuck in stupid places and no one did anything cool with them. Horses do not really seem that important to the Graal experience, as far as I can tell, most people spend their time sitting around indoors anyway.

Quote:
3. Customize everything.
The built-in chat system is a horrible abomination and I refuse to converse with anyone through it. Most of the thousands heads and I suppose hats are utter crap that make it impossible for a graphics team to come up with a unique, coherent style for a server. And you shall not speak ill of my custom movement.

Quote:
4. Use chat commands.
I would rather have the competent scripters focus on the actual gameplay. GUIs are neat icing on the cake but they do not seem fun to make at all.

Quote:
5. Don't use music.
As far as I am aware, most people playing online games have sound disabled anyway, or at least music. Considering the horrible legal retardation that revolves around music, on the internet, this seems like a horrible waste of sanity.

I realise that your points are just your opinion that you are entitled to, but it is a pretty ****ty opinion.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:46 PM
~~Paul
alarid0 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to alarid0 Send a message via MSN to alarid0
Oh... it was reopened :X
Again, sorry if you saw this thread as us swiftly pouncing and tromping on your thoughts.

You said you wanted to find out if people still enjoyed Classic style servers, but I don't know if this was the best way. You're saying that if it isn't classic, it's bad; that the original classic way is the only way to be.

Swapping down any other options is why we all raised our eyebrows and spoke up. Personally I was not trying to say that classic is bad. By all means, one could easily make an excellent server based on the mechanics and original tools. (Well...easily...as in it isn't a wild foreign thought that makes me skeptical) It's not as if there is no potential.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:58 PM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarid0 View Post
Music...
Ew.
No.
Music adds nothing. Nothing.
A good solid custom tileset brings FAR more than a few midi files thrown in. Do you really leave the midis on? Who else? Lets say you had a dozen really good music files. For an mmorpg where you'll spend a lot of your time sitting around and chatting, unless the music is mostly ambience it's going to become annoying. Fast. Consider Graal Kingdoms. They brought in the music from Bjorn Lynn, and it's some really nice stuff. I had it on for a while, but it does get old. I would much rather turn the music off and have winamp running a list of a few thousand songs rather than sit there with the same one playing over and over.

edit: Okay, so I suppose "NOTHING!" is a bit drastic. If it has some nice music it is nice to have it on for the first few times, it can nicely set the mood for the game. Just keep in mind that it won't stay forever.
Well yea I think its better to work with sound effects (ambience) instead like wind in the trees (or w/e you say... you know what I mean >=O), rivers, birds and stuffs like that or well it depends on the scene & mood that you want to create but yea...

My Albums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixmad
This forums is going worst each day.