Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Unholy Nation Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #46  
Old 03-17-2010, 03:57 AM
FuManchu FuManchu is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 65
FuManchu is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
And they did. Luca did a lot of behind the scenes work, TooTy fixed Town Center and did event levels (?), Streety did tons of work for holidays to make UN festive! Alex did a loooot of NAT work too.

A point was made that 1 out of the 4 PWAs actually log on UN once in a while, and that's Bell. How do they actually know what kind of job he's doing?
lol are you ****ing kidding me?
Luca would try to fix things but Streety would undo his edits.
TooTy did a lot and wanted to do more but Streety would give her a hard time for asking for rights when she wanted to service players asking for guild houses to be updated or to fix other level issues.
Streety didn't do "tons of work". He recycled content sz made for holidays.

Did I mention how Luca wanted to develop a few things but needed a custom tileset for it? Guess which graphics maker said he'd help him but didn't..

Edit: Crono, I know you're hurt that your friend that let you sit on the FAQ team and BD Donuts for ages while you gave little to no care to it is fired, but please.. take your assumptions elsewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-17-2010, 03:58 AM
Absolut_Crono Absolut_Crono is offline
Registered User
Absolut_Crono's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 54
Absolut_Crono is an unknown quantity at this point
As far as FAQ applicants are concerned, that would have been my decision to reject the candidates you are talking about. I rejected them for one of 2 reasons.

1. They were recent staff reapplying for a job they figured would give them rights without responsibility.

or

2. They simply were not good enough.

We had a total of 25 applications over the last 3 FAQ hirings. That isn't anyone's fault, it is a fact.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-17-2010, 04:01 AM
Elizabeth Elizabeth is offline
a/s/l
Elizabeth's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,018
Elizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Elizabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuManchu View Post
lol are you ****ing kidding me?
Funny, I was thinking the same thing when I read this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuManchu View Post
FAQ and ET teams are/were horrible. GP has been alright for awhile because BD knows what he's doing.

I can think of quite a few people that applied as FAQ/ET and were rejected because Streety didn't like them. Especially with ET, recently. I won't say their names but Allona wanted to hire them but Streety wouldn't let her. Now we're stuck with a bunch of horrible ETs that never pay attention in events.

I can't say the names of the FAQ applicants without permission, but since snoop said I could - yeah. He was ET Admin before and wanted to be ET again. Way better than Shannon/Ph8/and whatever else scrub FAQs there are.

Nothing was released on UN during his management that UN staff made except fishing. woo
Are you ****ing kidding me? We have an awesome ET team! They do weekly tournaments, and are active everyday. We don't have a FAQ team because it isn't needed. I'm almost 100% sure that Allona and other team admins don't need Streety's permission to hire cadets.
__________________
<3
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-17-2010, 04:11 AM
FuManchu FuManchu is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 65
FuManchu is an unknown quantity at this point
Yay, a piss poor attempt to be clever.
The ET team is mediocre. Sure, two of them host a lot but none of them really pay attention in events, which leads to people cheating a LOT. Pretty lame considering other candidates that weren't hired because Streety doesn't like them.

I remember Allona posted a message on the UN forums that suggested she wasn't very thrilled with her choices of ETs but she had to make due with the people who don't pay attention in events because there were very little applications for it. Whenever the ETA implies something like this, there is a problem ^_^

Still waiting for you to list off Streety's accomplishments as Manager..
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-17-2010, 04:18 AM
Flares Flares is offline
Headache Medicine
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 101
Flares is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Flares
List our recent Managers and their "Accomplishments".
__________________


I think you're crazy, maybe
I think you're crazy, maybe
I will see you in the next life
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 03-17-2010, 04:19 AM
Elizabeth Elizabeth is offline
a/s/l
Elizabeth's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,018
Elizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Elizabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuManchu View Post
Yay, a piss poor attempt to be clever.
The ET team is mediocre. Sure, two of them host a lot but none of them really pay attention in events, which leads to people cheating a LOT. Pretty lame considering other candidates that weren't hired because Streety doesn't like them.

I remember Allona posted a message on the UN forums that suggested she wasn't very thrilled with her choices of ETs but she had to make due with the people who don't pay attention in events because there were very little applications for it. Whenever the ETA implies something like this, there is a problem ^_^

Still waiting for you to list off Streety's accomplishments as Manager..
I listed them in a previous post.

Could you please tell me which two ETs host a lot?
__________________
<3
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-17-2010, 04:22 AM
Flares Flares is offline
Headache Medicine
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 101
Flares is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Flares
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuManchu View Post
I remember Allona posted a message on the UN forums that suggested she wasn't very thrilled with her choices of ETs but she had to make due with the people who don't pay attention in events because there were very little applications for it. Whenever the ETA implies something like this, there is a problem ^_^
First of all, when Allona said this it's because there just weren't a lot of players that applied, PERIOD. Why would you? ET is one of the most-scrutinized and least-enjoyable staff jobs. I can assure you that if anyone personally vetoed someone from a PR job like ET, it would be me, not Streety.
__________________


I think you're crazy, maybe
I think you're crazy, maybe
I will see you in the next life
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-17-2010, 04:25 AM
FuManchu FuManchu is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 65
FuManchu is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flares View Post
List our recent Managers and their "Accomplishments".
Streety
- Fishing system that no one uses
- Staying as Manager for over a year while doing next to nothing

sub-zero
- Made the Halloween and Christmas events that Streety recycled.

Malinko
- New mining that no one uses anymore because someone under Streety's management nerfed it
- New shops
- Made the server fun
- Giant PK war
(yes, Malinko was very, very corrupt, but he actually made UN fun)

Spryte
- Staying as Manager for awhile while doing nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flares View Post
II can assure you that if anyone personally vetoed someone from a PR job like ET, it would be me, not Streety.
No, it was actually Streety.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-17-2010, 04:31 AM
Elizabeth Elizabeth is offline
a/s/l
Elizabeth's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,018
Elizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Elizabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuManchu View Post
No, it was actually Streety.
Can you please prove this? You seem very sure of yourself.
__________________
<3
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-17-2010, 04:33 AM
dubby230 dubby230 is offline
Ex. N-Pulse Manager
dubby230's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 41
dubby230 is on a distinguished road
I think PWA made a bad decision and carried out their decision in a very unprofessional manner by just firing Streety like that. On the bright side though it is less stress and drama for him; being a manager isn't always that fun. Sorry to see you go Streety hopefully you'll stick around Graal for a bit longer.
__________________
"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." - Marie Curie
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-17-2010, 04:35 AM
FuManchu FuManchu is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 65
FuManchu is an unknown quantity at this point
No, not really Kay.
Globals seem to have a history of taking forever to fire bad Managers (Master Storm, Spryte x2). I'm glad they seem to not letting history repeat itself because I actually want to see UN become fun again.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-17-2010, 04:38 AM
SwimChao SwimChao is offline
UN Manager
SwimChao's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 486
SwimChao is just really niceSwimChao is just really nice
Look, I'm not getting involved in the arguments. I try to stay as far away from these as I possibly can, but I just need to input a few things.

I don't know where you're getting all your information, but you are making a lot of invalid points.

Quote:
Luca would try to fix things but Streety would undo his edits.
I never once refuted, or undid anything he did. I like to think the two of us had a fairly mild relationship, and had no problems. I supported any changes he did, and was always enthusiastic about it.

The one thing I asked him to do, was stop testing all of his work in Town Center, or OSL. Lots of times things get left on accident, and I didn't want to subject players to unfinished work, or potentially harmful npcs. I did also request he informs me of what he changed, because I liked to be updated on what exactly is going through the server. That was my job, afterall.

Quote:
TooTy did a lot and wanted to do more but Streety would give her a hard time for asking for rights when she wanted to service players asking for guild houses to be updated or to fix other level issues.
I never once gave TooT a hard time for any rights she asked for, so long as she had a rational reason when asking for them. The two of us butted heads when I made her LAT Admin, because I felt like she was taking too much at a time, but that was a one time thing. The only Guild House problem the two of us had, was that she didn't get the rights to the hat folder to lay hats, because UN has a hat db that you have to run them through prior to placing a level NPC.

Quote:
Streety didn't do "tons of work". He recycled content sz made for holidays.
That is just absurd. Do you realize that the Winter prior to my promotion to "Manager" sz and I BOTH worked on the holiday? It was a joint thing, and was how he taught me the vines and branches of management. Anything other than that was completely original, and spawned from my imagination -- or brought back for nostalgic reasons (ie. Ski Slope (but recall the quests, which were all of my invention).

Every holiday since my management has been of my mind, and of my staff's hard labor. As Absolut_Crono said, do you expect the manager to develop everything on the server on his own? I am not a scripter. I am a graphics artist. I did my part, and gave credit where it was due. The only thing that wasn't sourced from me, was Rufus', Dusty's, Crono's, (etc) hard work on the Winter 2009 present system, which came out beautifully.

People hop aboard a staff job knowing that it's for the team, and not for themselves. Me and GK work together very closely on the achievement system, to the point where I had him updating me three times a week via my personal email (so I could read and reply on my phone, when I was out of the house) on what changes he made.

Quote:
Did I mention how Luca wanted to develop a few things but needed a custom tileset for it? Guess which graphics maker said he'd help him but didn't..
Yes, I told Luca I would try to get his graphics done. On the same note, however, I'm managing (managing, not creating) the other projects going on with the server; which include things like the TCPK updates for kill counters, and kill streaks, trying to get the fixes made to town spar, guild battle arenas for a suggested Guild Center TooT and I discussed amongst the team.


I don't mean to come off conceited, either. I wasn't God's gift to management. We worked together though, for the most part, and really made solid attempts to get things done. Perhaps I could have done more to assure promises such as the "pet system" would have been released, by making backups frequently of the files. I was still new to the trade, though, and these are mistakes one must make in order to learn. I would have never expected the scripter to quit the way he did, and leave the system in shambles.

When my promises went bad, I made sure that I tried to make it up in some way or another to server. Finding trustworthy staff members to make sure those promises will pull through is a difficult feat in today's day on Graal.

You also need to realize that there isn't a lot that I can sit down and add to UN. Things need to be thought through, and 90% of the ideas I come up with to add are thrown out. I couldn't follow past management's mistake of simply uploading content, over content, over content. I tried that approach early in my management by working on things like CS, Fishing, the Aquarium, Seaport updates in general (which fell through because of lack of script hands) with Joe. It doesn't work out. It results in clutter, mess, and unused releases on the server.

Things like the achievement system were an innovative approach to try and integrate new things into the server, as opposed to simply adding.

On a last note, remember that my early management was wasted cleaning up after Malinko, and other management/staff. You weren't involved internally, so you don't know the extent of garbage we had to sift through. I owe a lot of thanks to Rage, Luca, and the other developers for that help. We all made a solid attempt to change UN for the better, and not simply add fuel into the fire (in this case, the fire being a decaying server)... Because eventually, it would have burned up in our faces.



Edit: By the way, I went back and read the bit about recycling the Halloween events, which shows how much you've researched your argument. I came up with the prompt for the last 2 Halloweens when Crowfeather was Manager, and said he wasn't going to do anything for the holiday. I was GAT Admin, and put together the idea of the Halloween town (Evenvale), quests, etc. I utilized favored events like the hat contests to appeal to artists, and other types of contest for other interested people. The holidays were where I buckled down the hardest, to attempt and make up for lost time.
__________________
People wake up hatin' and they ain't even brushed they teeth yet.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-17-2010, 04:42 AM
dubby230 dubby230 is offline
Ex. N-Pulse Manager
dubby230's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 41
dubby230 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuManchu View Post
No, not really Kay.
Globals seem to have a history of taking forever to fire bad Managers (Master Storm, Spryte x2). I'm glad they seem to not letting history repeat itself because I actually want to see UN become fun again.
My post was just to display my opinion and not to start an argument. My opinion on the situation is my own just like yours is.

As a side note, congratulations to Backdraft on becoming Manager.
__________________
"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." - Marie Curie
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 03-17-2010, 04:46 AM
Elizabeth Elizabeth is offline
a/s/l
Elizabeth's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,018
Elizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Elizabeth
I googled good manager qualities, this is the result. I bolded the qualities that I think he demonstrated. The link is: http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/top-10...t-manager.html

Inspires a shared vision
Good Communicater
Integrity
Enthusiasm
Empathy
Competence
Ability to delegate tasks
Team-building skills
Problem solving skills

7/10? I think that's pretty good.
__________________
<3

Last edited by Sam; 03-17-2010 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: link approved
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 03-17-2010, 04:50 AM
Imperialistic Imperialistic is offline
graal player lord
Imperialistic's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,094
Imperialistic is a jewel in the roughImperialistic is a jewel in the rough
I would like to see what Bell has to say about the whole situation, and see the great reason the PWA had to remove Streety the way they did.
__________________
" It's been swell, but the swelling's gone down. "
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright (C) 1998-2019 Toonslab All Rights Reserved.