Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Animated tiles?

Will it ever be possible to have some sort of feature to allow tiles to be animated? I know it's possible now, with addtiledef+gif, but that slows it down when there's a lot of animated tiles on the screen.

I guess it would be better if handled from whatever draws the tiles, so maybe a new addtiledef that would allow dividing up an image into frames for an animation.

Like, addtiledef3(image.png,levelblah,addintotilesX,addi ntotilesY,framecount);

And what it would do is divide the image according to how many frames, and animate it via the tile drawing, instead of by just showing a gif.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:53 PM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
Framecount, wouldn't that be in the image itself? - or you mean the delay before it's re-repeated?

Very nice suggestion!!
Old 06-24-2007, 08:00 PM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Well it'd be more of the number of times to divide the image.
Say, in this example. You have 4 16x16(a 32x32 block) tiles that animate(maybe water tiles), and the water has 3 frames of animation. You'd tile each frame of the animation horizontally, save it, and do:
addtiledef3(watertiles.png,world_,0,80,3);
And it would animate the tiles through Graal, and not by just displaying a gif. Much like it does with the flower tiles, though a bit different as each frame won't have to be stored in the tileset image. The size of the image would look akin to the one attached.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Atrius Manager
TheJames can only hope to improve
This would be a nice edition. I have animated water tiles through an image, but it lags like crazy. So I have to space them out

James,
Manager of Atrius
Old 06-25-2007, 04:59 AM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
Oh, you mean the way flowers are animated?

Yeah, having some control over that would be nice.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 06-25-2007, 05:11 AM
Ya, sort of like that... except you wouldn't have to include the animation frames in the tileset image. It'll get all the animation frames from the new tile image.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Psionic Youth
Hm. I don't think that'd be any better than adding an anigif to the tileset...plus there's the consideration of "virtually extending the tileset..."
I expect Stefan will say you should either use NPCs or showimg for such things. -_-;

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck

Old 06-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Well, the difference is the animation will be handled by Graal(much like the flowers, only the frames will be taken from the image given[see the attachment in my first post], and not from the tileset), and not as a gif. Showing gif's is much slower than just jumping the tile image around, as a whole level of flowers doesn't slow Graal down a bit.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:22 PM
That one guy...
zokemon is a jewel in the roughzokemon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
Great idea! I sort of do this with my tiles emulation on my server
Old 06-26-2007, 03:22 AM
Psionic Youth
Flower animation doesn't slow down because it's pulling from the same buffer. If you're animating from the rest of the png, I think it'd be just as slow as animating from the next frame of the gif.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:40 AM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
The flower animation is a built in feature. The other flower tiles are found near the snow marsh & cave tiles. Add an addtiledef2 image over one of the flowers and it'll still animate showing the new tile.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
The speed/lag probably depends on the speed of the animation, the flowers are only updated each 3 frames and are single tiles. Animated gifs should not be slower than normal flowers when used as animated tiles. If you have huge blocks of animated tiles then it might be more efficient to use npcs for them.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Gone
zell12 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to zell12 Send a message via AIM to zell12 Send a message via MSN to zell12
So, if we take animated flowers, and made an entire level on the server covered in them.

Then did the same thing with .gif/.mng flower images, the same 3 frame ones, and did the same thing--placed them all over the level, the images would be quicker? I don't understand...
Old 06-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
No, it depends on the number of images. Having a lot (hundreds) of separate graphics is slow, and also updating graphics is slow (huge gifs or the whole level covered with animated flower or water tiles). So there needs to be some trade-off.
For best speed do:
- use tiles for static graphics including the background and small details that are repeated often
- use separate npcs for graphics that are supposed to move or animated or change often or should appear on top of players