FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 06:59 AM
David K?
Devil_Lord2 can only hope to improve
Exclamation New Server (GAMES)

This is only my opinion.
*=EDIT

Graal *PC is dead, the only players playing the classic servers are for the most part loyal people, and any new servers unless they are so amazing, don't have a chance. The owners are using the new servers to make money, could care less about the people who love the game, and are taking what they can get.

*iPod still has years to go before new users stop pouring in and the devs or owners kill it. :]

Players now who love doing DEV work want their server on classic, why?!
Classic status is only an in game advertisement to show players it is there.

Owners cannot make money to pay for the servers they are paying for and basically getting friends to play and keeping the game running.

Don't get me wrong, I love Graal, it has taught me a lot.. Art.. X and Y.. HTML... Programming... I love Graal for its Dev like system, and it's social networking.

However, until Graal dies, I doubt much will be done to fix all this, so basically we ignore it.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

Let's get to the point of this post.
I think all the developers should put together a Graal server with games...
Card games, Multiplayer games, Tower Defences, Pool, Yahtzee... things people will like..
Perhaps half the server could be player LATed levels.. like they have access only to 5 levels and can edit how they like.. There are too many servers with big ideas getting almost no where..

If people like a game, they will play it.. it may take a few days to a week to script a simple game.. I don't know, I am only a basic NAT.

I'd be glad to help in the graphics department. Later on build a money system so that players can buy different pieces to use.. pool sticks.. w/e..

Events? Host tournaments.. who knows.. Yeah levels are great.. but do levels keep players coming on? Quests are cool too.. when you buy a single player game do you play it twice or more? If you are going to pay for a game.. why not make the best of it.

I can contribute most of a pet system for pets. I can also do a lot of 3D Modeling for it.. I don't really like pixel art but I can do it x.x;

Ganis I can do via text file and RC / testbed.

Levels I can do but won't really be needed too much.

Programming... still learning but I can do a good amount I guess.

The most I can see is they may need a system to collect age, and make certain words not shown to people under 16... I can't see how hacking would do very much on this server lol..

It would just be a server to do fun things.. maybe someone will want to start developing quests on the server.. why not let them?

Think of it as a melting pot for DEVs and old players? Who cares if it doesn't reach Classic status. Advertise it, something the owners will not. Even trials could play.. We would bring in new players that wouldn't have to pay whome would then bring on new people.

The only quest I can think of being needed... is a tutorial. ;]
For the new players who don't know the keyboard controls or how to talk.

And for the loyal players who won't leave their friends on their favorite servers, well they have a place to go when they are bored.

Cons?
I'm not sure what the owners would do seeing a bunch of free trials not wanting to pay for an undeveloped server that they actually like staying on.
Shutting down something that good only tells more about them though..

Now the ones who don't agree can debate about it, and I could care less. I am willing to try and help. Problem is... it all starts with programmers...

Digital Media Artist - David K? </3 (UnLoved)
www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Last edited by Devil_Lord2; 04-10-2011 at 07:27 AM..
Old 04-10-2011, 07:58 AM
Workin' on It
PhilSmith is on a distinguished road
Very interesting idea. Im interested more in the format of this server? How would you enter 'arcade' games, what would the levels be like, and would anyone be granted access to the levels on your proposed server?
Old 04-10-2011, 08:06 AM
David K?
So far I can only think of 8 main levels.. well outside levels, two buildings, or maybe different buildings depending the games..

First, I thought about a building for the games, and a building for tournament.. but lets say there is Pool.. could be a pool building.. possibly with the amount of players in it listed in say2. Other then the main part of the server.. it could be just like testbed.. Developers could work on it, create quests if they want.. make levels, show off their talent... but the main thing would be the games that are replayable and are multiplayer.. Unsure how you could do something like monopoly.. but I am sure there is a way.. just recreate games... alter the rules slightly and name it something else.. Generic brands... if there is a problem with created branded games.

other then that.. A fun server.. :]

Players wouldn't have to worry about becoming staff.. we could give them plots of land they can work on, and only allow their online editor to work on those levels.. If they are good, the incentive would be to attache them to the game zone as long as they are active. :]

There will be players who as they say 'troll' and may want to destroy the levels which would be why we give them access to plots..

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Old 04-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Workin' on It
I like the ideas up until the "use the rest like testbed".

Trust me, I'm all for getting the best possible use out of your server, so, I agree with the creation of levels. Heck, that could be a game in itself. But as for just hiring staff, If your point is to have a "chill zone", as soon as the server is up, having a minimal amount of staff would be most benificial (Just a few moderaters, and 2 dev people would be sufficient)
Old 04-10-2011, 08:24 AM
David K?
The real staff needed are NATs and GATs... technically GATs don't need to have RC..
However seeing the server would not be my own.. I don't really have say in who is staff or not. But I will definitely do what I can for the server. Being a classic account, I can only work on testbed with my scripts, ganis, and images for them.

I agree there shouldn't be a lot of staff, but if someone wants to donate a weapon, or neat things to the server we could have betting on games "Which I hope you can watch others play" and ways to make money.. however getting items and making money would not be the point.. I would think more moderators though.. if the population does happen to get big, we may need some people for different languages, and some people for different time zones.. Not everyone plays every day too.. However I can't think of there being much to moderate lol

The players with level editor would not need RC though... or staff boots.
Could possibly need an unstick me weapon for those new people who do not know about the worded commands. Some players may trap people in.

:[

But useing the rest like testbed.. I meant mainly LATs.. give players a few levels, see what they do, if they are good give them a few more.. next thing you know you'll have... a bunch of random good levels that we won't really care about. But they have a place to LAT and the server will have a decent place to explore..

Players will tell others to get on and check out their levels.. more people will get on.. possibly try to compete or teach others.. it is kind of open-source-like?

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Last edited by Devil_Lord2; 04-10-2011 at 08:43 AM..
Old 04-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Workin' on It
You really have 2 pretty good ideas kinda coming together. I like open-source and teaching (which is why i like testbed), and i like your competition games idea, but putting them together the way you have worded makes it seem like a mash-up server, with "Everything graal loves!". If you were to implement the level editing idea, I would hope that there would be a better idea for implementation.

Perhaps someone else here on the forum has a good idea.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Mr. Blu
Shards-Of-Fate will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Shards-Of-Fate Send a message via MSN to Shards-Of-Fate Send a message via Yahoo to Shards-Of-Fate
I like it, Sadly I'm hesitant, I'd like to see more interest in the idea first.

Weee!~
Old 04-10-2011, 08:36 AM
David K?
Nope, just giving them plots around the 8? main levels that would be untouched. Other then that I don't think staff should mind what the players build around it as long as it is not offensive, and if the levels are better in some areas, they should be moved near the main 8?.

Other then Games and our 8 level world, the rest outside is basically all them.. we wouldn't have to focus on it except content they may spell out in tiles.

Since the main thing is Games, and the few levels that are needed to have games.. Why not let people do what they want outside the 'main' zone. :] Think of it like UNs apartments I guess..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shards-Of-Fate View Post
I like it, Sadly I'm hesitant, I'd like to see more interest in the idea first.
I agree, I'd like to see more interest in it too. ;]
I am glad you like it. Anyway, again I don't have a server, but if someone wants to do this I will be more then happy to devote myself to it.

Mauls and TD's them selves would bring in a lot of people if done..
Card games shouldn't be too hard to make.. It really doesn't sound like it is going to be much to make a server to do a few of these games..

I think even I could create blackjack.. vs computers >.>;

It wouldn't take long to develop I would think.. But it could be ongoing ... depending the content put up.. Games should be the main focus, people having fun, re-playability, and multiplayer. All the outside levels PK zones... We could have a spar zone, that again, we wouldn't worry about. Kind of like ... it's there, they can do it, it's done with.

Again, games being the main priority and NATs would be the basics of the server.

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Last edited by Devil_Lord2; 04-10-2011 at 08:48 AM..
Old 04-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Workin' on It
Your UN apartments thing is good... i guess. I was just saying that if this was a game server, why not make it a "game" to build levels, and have a featured level or map or something every so often. Also, it could sorta be expanded to an events server also. Kinda like a centralized location for activities. An "Activities" server
Old 04-10-2011, 08:56 AM
David K?
I like the featured level / map idea. :]
Games are basically activities aren't they o.o?

We would have to think more on the events.. I'd like it to be able to work without events, and if it gets good later on implement that.. if we had events at the start, it is only another thing someone wants to be staff for lol..

--EDIT--
Again, implemented later one, things like foot ball, swimming, bowling, games could be made, ganis are basically no problem, but not the focus currently.

Anyway, I am going to sleep. I really hope this sparks an interest in many people. Again, I'd love to start on it, and could make 3D images for the game pieces, depending what they are it shouldn't be too hard. "Kind of losing my mouse it is so old though.."

Anyway, I suggest at least trying if someone is willing to donate a server and rename it something towards gaming like Game Zone or something. Credit the people who help having their name on things and such.. lets say they buy a deck of cards at the shop or w/e, cards made by.. scripted by.. such.. give acknowledgement in who did what.

I'm not saying I'm the best GFX person lol, I even hate working with pixels. But I do have an AA's degree in it, and I don't mind trying.
Example:

And no I probably will not try something as complicated as this was :3
it was just a 2-3 week project of my self. :c

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Last edited by Devil_Lord2; 04-10-2011 at 09:08 AM..
Old 04-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
I'm going to have nightmares
Old 04-10-2011, 08:15 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like this server... http://www.graalonline.com/skills/ that mainly had a 0 player-count for years.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:16 PM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
lolz xD

My Albums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixmad
This forums is going worst each day.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:21 PM
David K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
Sounds like this server... http://www.graalonline.com/skills/ that mainly had a 0 player-count for years.
It doesn't really sound like a server.. I recall playing it when it was only bomberman but I thought I played it on a web-browser sometime after 2000..
I liked it but I wouldn't go out of my way to play on something like that lol.. No virtual avatars or anything :X

Being on the actual serverlist, having the graal type walking, talking, social networking type, I believe it would be that much better. :]

The games would take place in levels that you would have to walk to.. not 'assuming I am right about the browser thing' just clicking something and playing with people you don't know..

If this starts, would you be willing to help out slightly? ^.^?
Give it a go and see where it takes us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
I'm going to have nightmares
You aren't the only one who has said this..
Should have seen my messed up version.. tried to move a vertex and POW the head warped and the vertex was way up.. it looked crazy and creepy.. I have no clue what happened.. LOL

-Edit-
Anyway, so far no luck :'[

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Last edited by Devil_Lord2; 04-11-2011 at 06:30 AM..
Old 04-12-2011, 07:05 AM
David K?
Well it isn't letting me edit my message, and I want to show progress on the server so far..

This is what I have for Blackjack.

Kind of upset that it wont take my array numbers.. :[
So I only have shuffling really working.

We also have a server.
I am the only NAT, and beginner at that. :C

PHP Code:
findplayer("Devil_Lord2").addweapon(this.name);
//#CLIENTSIDE
function onCreated(){

thiso.cardAmount = {
    {
0,0},{42,0},"4H","5H","6H","7H","8H","9H","10H",

"Jack H","Queen H","King H","Ace H",

"2S","3S","4S","5S","6S","7S","8S","9S","10S",

"Jack S","Queen S","King S","Ace S",

"2D","3D","4D","5D","6D","7D","8D","9D","10D",

"Jack D","Queen D","King D","Ace D",

"2C","3C","4C","5C","6C","7C","8C","9C","10C",

"Jack C","Queen C","King C","Ace C"

};

player.chat this.cardAmount[1][0SPC this.cardAmount[1][1];

this.cardDeck = {

};

this.playerCheck  0;

this.playerAmount = {
    {-
1,0,0,0,0,0},
    {-
1,0,0,0,0,0},
    {-
1,0,0,0,0,0},
    {-
1,0,0,0,0,0}
  };
  new 
GuiShowImgCtrl("DavidKBJ_CardP1-1") {

position "7,25";

image "dkcards.png";

partw 41;

parth 52;

partx this.cardAmount[1][0];

party this.cardAmount[1][1];
  }

}

function 
DavidKBJ_Computers1.onAction(){

DavidKBlackJack_System.extent = {270300};

this.playerCheck 1;

cardShuffle();

DavidKBJ_Computers1.hide();

DavidKBJ_Computers2.hide();

DavidKBJ_Computers3.hide();
}

function 

this.playerCheck 2;

cardShuffle();

}

function 

this.playerCheck 3;

cardShuffle();

}

function 
onWeaponFired(){

new 
GuiWindowCtrl("DavidKBlackJack_System") {

position = {screenwidth/2-135,screenheight/2-150};

extent   "270, 75";

text     "       BlackJack";

canClose false;
      new 
GuiButtonCtrl("DavidKBJ_Computers1") {

position "10, 27";

extent "80, 40";

text "1 Computer";
      }
      new 
GuiButtonCtrl("DavidKBJ_Computers2") {

position "95, 27";

extent "80, 40";

text "2 Computer";
      }
      new 
GuiButtonCtrl("DavidKBJ_Computers3") {

position "180, 27";

extent "80, 40";

text "3 Computer";
      }

new 
GuiShowImgCtrl("DavidKBJ_CardP1-1") {

position "7,25";

image "dkcards.png";

partw 41;

parth 52;

partx this.cardAmount[1][0];

party this.cardAmount[1][1];
    }
  }
}

function 
cardShuffle(){
this.cardShuffle = {

};
  for (
i=0;i<54;i++){

player.chat this.cardShuffle[this.card]@" and "this.card;

this.card int(random(1,54));  
    if (
this.cardShuffle[this.card] != 0){
      while (
this.cardShuffle[this.card] != 0){    

this.card int(random(1,54));     
      }
    } 

this.cardShuffle[this.card] = 1;

this.cardDeck[i] = this.cardAmount[this.card];
  }
}

function 
cardCheck(){

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz