Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 05:35 AM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
Developing should be free for servers that are staff-only

Title pretty much says it all, but I don't think we should have to upgrade an account just to work on a server. If the server has staffonly set to true in the serveroptions, anyone with a registered account (whether it be gold, lifetime classic, or even trial) should be allowed to work there without limitations.

I'm sure some of you will say, "Whoa man, won't Graal lose tons of money?" Graal would still be making money from server rentals, and I'd imagine that more people would be willing to invest in a server knowing that their friends can work with them without upgrading. If/when the server decides to open up for players, accounts will need the appropriate subscription.

As someone who has rented a server, I know how hard it can be to find developers. The most common response I had when trying to get people to work with me was "I don't want to pay to work" -- who would?

A Global Development Team sounds nice, sure, but if you're really interested in helping developers, stop making them pay to develop your game.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:38 AM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
Title pretty much says it all, but I don't think we should have to upgrade an account just to work on a server. If the server has staffonly set to true in the serveroptions, anyone with a registered account (whether it be gold, lifetime classic, or even trial) should be allowed to work there without limitations.

I'm sure some of you will say, "Whoa man, won't Graal lose tons of money?" Graal would still be making money from server rentals, and I'd imagine that more people would be willing to invest in a server knowing that their friends can work with them without upgrading. If/when the server decides to open up for players, accounts will need the appropriate subscription.

As someone who has rented a server, I know how hard it can be to find developers. The most common response I had when trying to get people to work with me was "I don't want to pay to work" -- who would?

A Global Development Team sounds nice, sure, but if you're really interested in helping developers, stop making them pay to develop your game.
This is a great idea, i think alot more servers would find it easier to get a staff team. And if graal really is concerned with making money they could charge a fee to get to hosted and/or to get classic. But i shouldn't be giving them any ideas to take more money from players.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:43 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
There would have to be a staff cap with this to prevent just adding everyone to their staff list, which could be very profitable actually.

I.e: Buy a server with 10? or so staff slots open. Add $5/(monthly/quarterly) for 5-10 more slots, and so on.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:45 AM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
There would have to be a staff cap with this to prevent just adding everyone to their staff list, which could be very profitable actually.

I.e: Buy a server with 10? or so staff slots open. Add $5/(monthly/quarterly) for 5-10 more slots, and so on.
Good idea, and I'm sure the PWA could also intervene if a server is doing something like this.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Pelikano can only hope to improve
This is a great idea, still Graal would lose money, any way you put it atleast 0.00000000000000001 Euro is being lost, so I don't think it'll happen.

As Stefan has stated once he has GIVEN UP Graal already and is SATISFIED if he earns enough to pay the servers etc.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:07 PM
asdfg
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
Great Idea.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Dragonosteel has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post

Best idea ever.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:25 AM
UnKnown Confusion
Vman13x can only hope to improve
Can someone send me the message where stefan says hes given up? I kind of dont believe it and would like proof.

Also I think its a great idea.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:09 AM
Trak will become famous soon enough
Its a great Idea
but wouldnt EVERYONE try and get one? wouldnt it cause some major lag issues D:
Old 08-19-2009, 02:11 AM
cyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak View Post
Its a great Idea
but wouldnt EVERYONE try and get one? wouldnt it cause some major lag issues D:
How would it cause major lag issues?
Old 08-19-2009, 03:28 AM
I was once told that all private servers are ran off the same engine or w/e they said
so if one server was to cause some major lag issues, the rest suffer
Old 08-19-2009, 03:58 AM
My empire of dirt
Twinny is just really niceTwinny is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Twinny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak View Post
I was once told that all private servers are ran off the same engine or w/e they said
so if one server was to cause some major lag issues, the rest suffer
Graal servers run in Linux VServers which do use shared resources. Depending on the configuration, it is possible for an intensive process in one vserver to disrupt the other vservers (e.g. thrashing the disks) but there are probably limits setup to try and prevent this.

I think the virtual servers are spread accross a few hosts as it wouldn't be a good idea to host all UC worlds on a single server.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:12 AM
oh
Old 08-19-2009, 07:26 AM
Zvarri!
TESTRETIS has a spectacular aura about
Return of Staff accounts!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:20 PM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by TESTRETIS View Post
Return of Staff accounts!
oh yea I had "GaldorGFX" I think :P or something like that...
But I like the ideas you guys have =D

My Albums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixmad
This forums is going worst each day.