Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanDaMan View Post
I can't wait to get started!!
What exactly are you waiting for?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:01 AM
Senator Amsel Zephlyn
Spikedude will become famous soon enough
Bell I'm interested for Ganis. I can also do LAT, GAT, and minor Scripting, but I'd probably only make it for Ganis. I have a Classic subscription.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:29 AM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deophite18 View Post
I don't need to explain anything to you. The powers that be people already knew what I was talking about
Are you implying that the reason why you wouldn't want someone on the GDT is not a concern to other members of the GDT?

Also, considering that this is a public thread, would it not be common courtesy to explain yourself if not everyone in the thread knows what you're talking about? If you don't want to do that then use PMs.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
Got it Spikedude although I can't seem to update the list in the thread yet.

Inverness, drop it. Its a dead issue and there is no need to continue to argue about it.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:35 AM
UnKnown Confusion
Vman13x can only hope to improve
Ooh. I hope theres a levels department .
Old 08-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Gambet is on a distinguished road
For your first assignment you are to make Graal Instant Messenger, with custom gui profiles instead of the ugly blue. Get to it GDT, prove your usefulness!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:43 AM
Incubator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambet View Post
For your first assignment you are to make Graal Instant Messenger, with custom gui profiles instead of the ugly blue. Get to it GDT, prove your usefulness!
I don't believe that is how the GDT works, assuming such a thing is a worthwhile endeavor.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:46 AM
Gambet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
I don't believe that is how the GDT works, assuming such a thing is a worthwhile endeavor.

Why not? Stefan asked on the forums if anyone had made a version of Graal Instant Messenger when people were talking about it in a thread. I mean, what else is the GDT for? A bunch of FAQs?

GIM could actually be used on every server and would hopefully be a million times better than the current PM system, so I don't see why it wouldn't be worthwhile.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:58 AM
_Zelph is on a distinguished road
I'd be more interested in joining if I had free time that I felt was sufficient. Sounds like an interesting venture. Best of luck to those who joined the team
Old 08-27-2009, 01:00 AM
_Zelph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
GIM could actually be used on every server and would hopefully be a million times better than the current PM system, so I don't see why it wouldn't be worthwhile.
That's already well in the works!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:06 AM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Clearly first order of priority should be to ensure that everybody has access to adequate development tools~
Old 08-27-2009, 01:24 AM
Incubator
Quote:
Why not? Stefan asked on the forums if anyone had made a version of Graal Instant Messenger when people were talking about it in a thread. I mean, what else is the GDT for? A bunch of FAQs?
I meant that I don't believe the GDT would have projects assigned to it as a whole but rather each member might have their own project they're doing and they could ask for the help of other team members if they want it. Team members or others (like Stefan, PWA, etc.) might suggest projects that any person or group could volunteer to take.
Quote:
I suppose what I meant is that I personally don't see it as a priority. The current PM system quite adequate imho. Perhaps I only say that because I don't use it as often as others.

Of course my opinion isn't stopping some other GDT member from working on it, I'd be happy to contribute my thoughts in that case too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
Clearly first order of priority should be to ensure that everybody has access to adequate development tools~
On that note, all GDT members should have access to the Testbed Server.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:51 AM
graal player lord
Imperialistic is a jewel in the roughImperialistic is a jewel in the rough
My understanding of the GDT (Global Development Team) is that it's mostly there for when servers tend to stall on development. Maybe it be Scripting/Graphic or Level wise. That's where the GDT will step in and drop the hammer to help get their production of development on the roll.

See, with the Global Scripting Team, some people needed more development help other than Scripting. So instead of being limited to one department why not expand to help their servers and this game overall to be greater than it already is.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:16 AM
Incubator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperialistic View Post
My understanding of the GDT (Global Development Team) is that it's mostly there for when servers tend to stall on development. Maybe it be Scripting/Graphic or Level wise. That's where the GDT will step in and drop the hammer to help get their production of development on the roll.
That is certainly what the GDT is for in my opinion. I think this idea of what the GDT is for needs to be ironed out.

Here is a list of what I believe should be the roles of the GDT (incomplete perhaps?):
  1. Create public content that would naturally be used on all servers. The suggested standard script package would be an aspect of this. Along with scripted versions of development tools.
  2. Serve as a bridge between Stefan and Graal's development community. This involves recommending features that are generally desired and creating demonstrations of features that have been added by Stefan.
  3. Serve as advisers to developers and playerworld management. This would involve evaluating content or just giving general tips about development in general. This would also involve helping with topics relating to the mechanics of playerworlds, such as creating gmaps.
  4. Ensure proper documentation of Graal's development aspects. This could be anything from simply GScript documentation to documentation about various level making styles and techniques.
Of course not all team members would be required to do everything. And as Bell said, all members would be free to do whatever they want on their own time, which can be helping playerworlds in need if they choose to do so, but that should not be obligatory. The GDT isn't here to bail-out failing playerworlds, in my humble opinion.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:43 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Well, I've applied on part of 2 reasons. Bell had some interesting things to say over PM's, and, Inverness told me to. So I rethought the situation, and I'd like to help if I'd be allowed.

Also, on this neg rep:
Quote:
I have never seen someone be such a jerk. This almost reminds me of when you overreacted after Xor was hired. I wish you could try to handle these things maturely. Vulcan can script, it isn't like he hasn't already helped some servers.
It's mature to leave your name on your comments, coward. I didn't overreact when Xor was hired, I merely argued my opinion that I believed there was no need for another PWA, especially one no one knew, and had stated that I meant no offense to Xor.

Just as well, I never said Vulcan couldn't script or dev.

Tags
global, global development team