Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-21-2011, 09:43 PM
WanDaMan WanDaMan is offline
Master Tux
WanDaMan's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,571
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
You're my favorite and probably the best developer on Graal Online; I am more than grateful for your contributions and the amount of hope you have given me (and others) to believe that they can create a server using the out-dated development software.

Thanks D'
__________________
V$:CONFL16T
  #32  
Old 03-22-2011, 02:59 AM
Unkownsoldier Unkownsoldier is offline
Ignorance has no future
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,287
Unkownsoldier is on a distinguished road
Why was this thread even made? No one asked for players to do anything. They were given the ability to develop their skills. That was their intention, for players to get a basis in what it takes to develop a game, from the scripting aspect to images, etc. The objective was to enhance your self, not to develop servers for people to actually play, that just happens to be a bi-product. Now a days we focus more on what the players would want, instead of actually improving our skills. This is why your servers "fail" they weren't meant for that purpose in the first place, so its simply not failing in the aspect of having terrible content, its just failing in the aspect of it not being used properly. You say that the managers of this game don't care, then why would they take their time to make us new developer tools? You see, the original purpose for the game was for kids to get a sense of what making a game is like. Nothing more nothing less. It seems you all missed that point. Then over the years they figured out that developers weren't interested in really enhancing their skills, so thats why they advertise "Make your own server!" because its just about the money now. Thanks for ruining it ;D
__________________
Look beyond the monitor.
  #33  
Old 03-22-2011, 03:04 AM
Rufus Rufus is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,698
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkownsoldier View Post
You say that the managers of this game don't care, then why would they take their time to make us new developer tools?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkownsoldier View Post
The objective was to enhance your self, not to develop servers for people to actually play, that just happens to be a bi-product.
If what you're saying is true, which it is not, why did the ability to rent a server come after the ability to get your server hosted (through offline work and project inspection), which came after the release of servers to play on?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
Seriously, you have ****-all for content and you're not exactly pulling in new developer talent, angling for prestigious titles should be your last concern.
  #34  
Old 03-22-2011, 03:08 AM
DustyPorViva DustyPorViva is offline
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 9,589
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkownsoldier View Post
You say that the managers of this game don't care, then why would they take their time to make us new developer tools?
We have been asking for updated tools for YEARS. Stefan said it was a waste of time. The only reason tools got reevaluated was so they could provide something useful to all the new players they've gotten from iPhone and I guess the potential Facebook crowd. It's for them, not for us. If it wasn't for iPhone I imagine we still wouldn't have any new tools.
  #35  
Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 AM
Unkownsoldier Unkownsoldier is offline
Ignorance has no future
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,287
Unkownsoldier is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
If what you're saying is true, which it is not, why did the ability to rent a server come after the ability to get your server hosted (through offline work and project inspection), which came after the release of servers to play on?
I'm talking about the game after Eurocenter released one of their own servers. They had to establish a player base first. Duhh, everyone knows that o.o
__________________
Look beyond the monitor.
  #36  
Old 03-22-2011, 03:13 AM
Rufus Rufus is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,698
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkownsoldier View Post
I'm talking about the game after Eurocenter released one of their own servers. They had to establish a player base first. Duhh, everyone knows that o.o
Haha yeah, that makes a lot of sense. My bad.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
Seriously, you have ****-all for content and you're not exactly pulling in new developer talent, angling for prestigious titles should be your last concern.
  #37  
Old 03-22-2011, 03:14 AM
sssssssssss sssssssssss is offline
Cyril Rain
sssssssssss's Avatar
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 1,134
sssssssssss will become famous soon enough
I cant remember since 1999 Graal ever saying work online to script but only to make your skills better on gs1, or gs2. And for what good would it be to learn gscript, especially gs1 back in the day, if its only to get better at it? Get better at it for what? Not to make a server even though you are getting better at it on a server?

Makes no sense in that aspect...
__________________
Cyril Rain
Creator and leader of SLX
Admin of Elysium
Elysium's Facebook Page: http://facebook.com/GraalOnlineElysium
Graal Forum Thread: http://forums.graalonline.com...
Graalians Thread: http://www.graalians.com...


  #38  
Old 03-22-2011, 03:16 AM
fowlplay4 fowlplay4 is offline
team canada
fowlplay4's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,200
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkownsoldier View Post
They were given the ability to develop their skills. That was their intention, for players to get a basis in what it takes to develop a game, from the scripting aspect to images, etc. The objective was to enhance your self, not to develop servers for people to actually play, that just happens to be a bi-product.
I don't know about you but my skills are a bi-product of developing for a server, not some selfish conquest for self-improvement that you make it out to be.
__________________
Quote:
  #39  
Old 03-22-2011, 03:20 AM
DustyPorViva DustyPorViva is offline
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 9,589
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Also, just because they didn't ask us to do it doesn't change the fact that nearly all of the content on Graal was made by players. And I mean nearly ALL of it. Even Classic, before hosting, was mostly made by players. Zone was made by players before Stefan took it over and made it a Gold server. G2k1? A team of developers picked by Stefan worked on it, and I don't think they were paid. Same for New World(which most of the biggest changes to Graal came from, like the NPC Server and the NW format).

Doesn't mean that because we weren't asked to do it, that none of the people who worked their ass off deserves to be recognized for it.
  #40  
Old 03-22-2011, 03:40 AM
Unkownsoldier Unkownsoldier is offline
Ignorance has no future
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,287
Unkownsoldier is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Also, just because they didn't ask us to do it doesn't change the fact that nearly all of the content on Graal was made by players. And I mean nearly ALL of it. Even Classic, before hosting, was mostly made by players. Zone was made by players before Stefan took it over and made it a Gold server. G2k1? A team of developers picked by Stefan worked on it, and I don't think they were paid. Same for New World(which most of the biggest changes to Graal came from, like the NPC Server and the NW format).

Doesn't mean that because we weren't asked to do it, that none of the people who worked their ass off deserves to be recognized for it.
Point proven. you want to know why Eurocenter stopped putting time in this game? Because of people like you who would develop for them. Where did that get you?
__________________
Look beyond the monitor.
  #41  
Old 03-22-2011, 03:40 AM
devilsknite1 devilsknite1 is offline
C:
devilsknite1's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 269
devilsknite1 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to devilsknite1 Send a message via MSN to devilsknite1 Send a message via Yahoo to devilsknite1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Also, just because they didn't ask us to do it doesn't change the fact that nearly all of the content on Graal was made by players. And I mean nearly ALL of it. Even Classic, before hosting, was mostly made by players. Zone was made by players before Stefan took it over and made it a Gold server. G2k1? A team of developers picked by Stefan worked on it, and I don't think they were paid. Same for New World(which most of the biggest changes to Graal came from, like the NPC Server and the NW format).

Doesn't mean that because we weren't asked to do it, that none of the people who worked their ass off deserves to be recognized for it.
I've learned quite a bit in the GraalScript area purely because of the higher developers on Graal (Fowlplay, Dusty, Ziro, Chris, etc) and to say they don't deserve credit to anything is like saying every server in Graal should be completely remade by the Eurocenter team and themselves only. That obviously would make no sense.

On behalf of a player / [sort-of] developer, I thank you all for creating material on Graal and letting players and rising developers learn and enjoy the game more... For free.

PS: I was actually able to make a script for someone for $20.00 before... The guy quit Graal and still owes me $35.50. Let's just mug him
  #42  
Old 03-22-2011, 03:43 AM
fowlplay4 fowlplay4 is offline
team canada
fowlplay4's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,200
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkownsoldier View Post
Point proven. you want to know why Eurocenter stopped putting time in this game? Because of people like you who would develop for them. Where did that get you?
I think the iOS platform and other greedy ventures (http://games.eurocenter.fr/index.html) like that had more to do with Graal's lack of support not because we continued to develop.

Side note: Looks like they updated from the ugly blue thing it used to be, I guess they could afford better web developers now.
__________________
Quote:
  #43  
Old 03-22-2011, 03:46 AM
sssssssssss sssssssssss is offline
Cyril Rain
sssssssssss's Avatar
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 1,134
sssssssssss will become famous soon enough
To say its our fault that Eurocenter stopped developing for pc graal and that we stepped to far when we develop on servers they offer us to do so on is asinine. If the company was willing to offer the opportunity to do so, that doesn't automatically excempt a service provider and product provider from keeping up with the products and service they still provide, and trying to make them better. It also, being it's pretty much a 2 man group there at Eurocenter, doesn't excuse them from giving a thank you to people who helped keep their product going for free. Not to say it can't happen and people don't do it, just saying we are not the reason; they just don't really care enough.
__________________
Cyril Rain
Creator and leader of SLX
Admin of Elysium
Elysium's Facebook Page: http://facebook.com/GraalOnlineElysium
Graal Forum Thread: http://forums.graalonline.com...
Graalians Thread: http://www.graalians.com...


  #44  
Old 03-22-2011, 03:48 AM
Fulg0reSama Fulg0reSama is offline
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,049
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkownsoldier View Post
Point proven. you want to know why Eurocenter stopped putting time in this game? Because of people like you who would develop for them. Where did that get you?
That's the problem.
When most if not all of these servers were created, we believed we were making our own game, our own world to enjoy and play, now it has been literally stolen from us through a weak clause in Terms of Service. Why should developers like Dustyshouri, cbk1994, WhiteDragon, MrOmega, taylor, fowlplay4, myself and many others be stripped of credit for their success?
It's unethical, and like sssssss- said, it's asinine to even think of such a ludicrous alibi for their behavior.

I forgot to mention that Eurocenter lucked out on one factor, If it wasn't for the fact that they had such loyal as hell players, they wouldn't have even made it past 2006.
__________________

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.

Last edited by Fulg0reSama; 03-22-2011 at 04:00 AM..
  #45  
Old 03-22-2011, 03:52 AM
cbk1994 cbk1994 is offline
the fake one
cbk1994's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,718
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
It is more than a bit annoying to see them abandon us even more than before now that they have a chance of making substantial profit, but I know I'm not the only one who can say that Graal has had more influence over my life than almost anything else—my future career will likely involve programming on a regular basis, which is largely thanks to the experience I gained developing on Graal.

It's a complex issue. I don't know where I stand on it.
__________________
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright (C) 1998-2019 Toonslab All Rights Reserved.