Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Feature request
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 05:55 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
Question Different Server Grades

I'm wondering if it would be possible for GraalOnline to sell different grades of servers.

It would be nice to see, in addition to the payment plan we have now, a cheaper version of a Graal server offering less RAM (or whatever related resources). It could even have a player limit to ensure to ensure it does not drain bandwidth or perform other functions that generally make the upkeep expensive on regular servers.

I would love to pursue development on Graal and learn to script / make graphics in my own environment, but I'm simply not willing to pay the $65 price tag for a typical server. And why should I, when such a server that I would like to own would never have any playercount whatsoever, consume large amounts of storage space, or be anywhere near as CPU-heavy as many other servers out there?

I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about this stuff, but I figure it's worth a shot.
On the other hand, free-to-play games, if unbalanced, could result in some consumers paying extremely large amounts of money, and we can certainly not expect to build a good relationship with our consumers in this fashion. In order to have a favorable long-term relationship, we would like to offer free-to-play games that are balanced and reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unximad
Eurocenter Games remains attached to the values of indies game developer and to the service our playerbase community.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:26 PM
C:
devilsknite1 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to devilsknite1 Send a message via MSN to devilsknite1 Send a message via Yahoo to devilsknite1
Easy solution: make Stefan keep up Testbed for free to allow players to learn to develop, allowing more people to buy servers, in the end making him more money.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:31 PM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknite1 View Post
Easy solution: make Stefan keep up Testbed for free to allow players to learn to develop, allowing more people to buy servers, in the end making him more money.
That would always be nice, but I might still be willing to pay to have my own space.
On the other hand, free-to-play games, if unbalanced, could result in some consumers paying extremely large amounts of money, and we can certainly not expect to build a good relationship with our consumers in this fashion. In order to have a favorable long-term relationship, we would like to offer free-to-play games that are balanced and reasonable.
Quote:
Eurocenter Games remains attached to the values of indies game developer and to the service our playerbase community.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:57 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Honestly, I'm not sure it would be possible for Eurocenter to offer servers of lower quality than the ones already being offered, at least given the problems of the past few weeks.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:43 AM
the KattMan
Or can you make it so we can purchase servers with gelats?
Quote:
Old 07-17-2013, 03:43 AM
GodlyAmbitions is an unknown quantity at this point
I wish many more of the developers or future developers were as clever as you, they just throw out the money to him without knowing the cons..

these servers are so horrible and its been so long since it has been horrible
if majority of the players in graal that are right near the server has 3 digit ping
not to mention 300s+ i think something is greatly flawed.

all they're doing is busy hiding it too, it's quite sad and uncharming..

why do they not provide us a better service when we're paying them? i also wondered why the developers had to pay to develope and never get payed for the ammount of players they interested and made them suscribe to graal, well it's really self explanitory, this is not worth our time when the guy that started it all is taking all the credits for what other developers worked hard on. might as well just
learn to script and make a browser mmorpg with minimal cost and earn money for your own good lol
Old 07-17-2013, 07:21 PM
C:
devilsknite1 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to devilsknite1 Send a message via MSN to devilsknite1 Send a message via Yahoo to devilsknite1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure it would be possible for Eurocenter to offer servers of lower quality than the ones already being offered, at least given the problems of the past few weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodlyAmbitions View Post
these servers are so horrible and its been so long since it has been horrible
if majority of the players in graal that are right near the server has 3 digit ping
not to mention 300s+ i think something is greatly flawed.
More motivation to simply make a free development server for players who wish to learn. Maybe then make PWA useful, and have them run the server and adding aspiring developers as well as current ones to have a place to improve upon their skills.

As far as buying your own server goes, it's not necessarily a bad idea and I'd probably encourage it, but for the sake of your money, I'd not spend it if there isn't a defined plan and a team already set in place. Otherwise chances of it succeeding are somewhat bleak, unfortunately. [IRRELEVANT PART HERE] What would be pretty cool though is just developing an iPhone server right away instead of trying to make a PC one first. That way you have a bunch of platforms open for you to potentially market to instead of scrounging for developers and players for a PC server.