Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2009, 07:18 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Release: Gmap Generator

Why is this in here?
There is no forum for non-GS2 code/tool releases, and this has something to do with levels, so I guess this is the right forum.

What is it?
It's a tool that generates gmaps!

That's it?!
Well no. First off, to be more specific, it's a tool written in Python which was compiled using py2exe to make it usable on machines which do not have Python installed.

Second, it's better than the default one. You don't need an image to generate a gmap, and mine even comes with a template.nw you can modify. For example, you can fill it with water to create a gmap full of water! Awesome, isn't it?!

Another cool thing about it is the naming scheme of the levels. It's the same as Rick's (the one he uses for his gmap generator). Basically, you not only specify a prefix, width and height, but also a center x and center y coordinate for your new gmap. The level at the center position is always named prefix_00-00.nw (as seen on Era, which Rick has created his generator for). So the basic naming scheme is prefix_xx-yy.nw. The levels right of and below the central level get numbers as x and y values, the ones left of and above the central level get letters. This enables you to extend your map into any direction at a later point. Enough of the awesomeness though.

Why did you code it?
I've been using Rick's gmap generator for a while now, and I like the format. I'm afraid his might be offline at some point though, which could create quite some problems, I guess..

It was also some nice Python practice (first Python script, hell yea).

There has to be a bad side!
Well..not really!
It works, you can use it without installing Python first..It's a little big since it's basically packed with lots of Python stuff.

The only bad thing about it is that, since I compiled it using py2exe, it is only usable on Windows operating systems. Don't worry though, I'm also providing the source.

Where can I get it?! Give it to me already!
If you are not using Windows, or you just don't like to download any pre-compiled tools, you can get the source code here: gmapgen.zip
MD5: 0655ABC4DEF000E01D555312970A6BBC

Throw me a PM and I'll give you a link to the compiled version.

Holy #@$, this is awesome! How can I thank you?!
I wouldn't mind some positive reputation

Additional notes:
I'm not responsible for any damage caused to your computer by this script. (Additional additional note: The chance it will do that is at an all-time low of course. Just incase though..)

As I mentioned, this is my first useful Python script. I'm not actually posting this here to get advice on what can be done better, but if any Python guru wants to point anything out, feel free to do so!

Last edited by Crono; 02-13-2011 at 06:51 PM..
Old 05-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Gambet is on a distinguished road
Haven't looked at it but Inverness will kill you if it's poorly written Python code, and considering your little disclaimer at the end, I'd prepare myself for a screaming.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:29 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambet View Post
Haven't looked at it but Inverness will kill you if it's poorly written Python code, and considering your little disclaimer at the end, I'd prepare myself for a screaming.
Yea, I thought of Inverness when writing the whole post. I'm prepared!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Era Manager
DuBsTeRmAn is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to DuBsTeRmAn
Sounds great, Is great..
Great work Crow!
+Rep!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:34 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
I'll test it out soon...
Old 05-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
I get an error about this immediately when running it:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail."
Old 05-21-2009, 09:01 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Draenin: Try installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 redistributable package, this will hopefully solve the problem. I will throw a link when it's approved.

Edit: Here you go.
According to the rules though, I'm not allowed to attach and/or link any executable files. I sent a pm to Darlene asking for a possible workaround which allows me to still provide this tool to the community. Until then...no, I'm not gonna remove it until I get an answer I'm going to risk the infraction and leave it here, for the sake of usefulness this tool possibly provides.

Last edited by Crow; 05-21-2009 at 09:49 PM..
Old 05-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to smirt362 Send a message via MSN to smirt362
Sounds nifty. Will have to try it out later.

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 05-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Rogue LAT
warriors94 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to warriors94 Send a message via MSN to warriors94
I can't seem to find where this folder is located when the gamp is created.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:11 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
The new folder and the files should be created in the one where the executable is located.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:07 AM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
I haven't tried your tool yet, but their is also a website that generates a gmap. I think only Jerret knows it though as i always forget the link. Cool tool though, will check it out
Old 05-22-2009, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajchris View Post
I haven't tried your tool yet, but their is also a website that generates a gmap. I think only Jerret knows it though as i always forget the link. Cool tool though, will check it out

Nope, here you go: http://www.graal.us/tools/generatelevels.html
Old 05-22-2009, 02:57 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
In fact I forgot it, that link and this tool should probably be stick'd.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:25 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajchris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambet View Post
Heh, I even linked to that in my post
Old 05-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Heh, I even linked to that in my post

Oh, lol, didn't even notice that. Ironically enough, I've had that link in my favorites for a long time and I don't even remember how it got there in the first place.