Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-21-2009, 07:18 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Release: Gmap Generator

Why is this in here?
There is no forum for non-GS2 code/tool releases, and this has something to do with levels, so I guess this is the right forum.

What is it?
It's a tool that generates gmaps!

That's it?!
Well no. First off, to be more specific, it's a tool written in Python which was compiled using py2exe to make it usable on machines which do not have Python installed.

Second, it's better than the default one. You don't need an image to generate a gmap, and mine even comes with a template.nw you can modify. For example, you can fill it with water to create a gmap full of water! Awesome, isn't it?!

Another cool thing about it is the naming scheme of the levels. It's the same as Rick's (the one he uses for his gmap generator). Basically, you not only specify a prefix, width and height, but also a center x and center y coordinate for your new gmap. The level at the center position is always named prefix_00-00.nw (as seen on Era, which Rick has created his generator for). So the basic naming scheme is prefix_xx-yy.nw. The levels right of and below the central level get numbers as x and y values, the ones left of and above the central level get letters. This enables you to extend your map into any direction at a later point. Enough of the awesomeness though.

Why did you code it?
I've been using Rick's gmap generator for a while now, and I like the format. I'm afraid his might be offline at some point though, which could create quite some problems, I guess..

It was also some nice Python practice (first Python script, hell yea).

There has to be a bad side!
Well..not really!
It works, you can use it without installing Python first..It's a little big since it's basically packed with lots of Python stuff.

The only bad thing about it is that, since I compiled it using py2exe, it is only usable on Windows operating systems. Don't worry though, I'm also providing the source.

Where can I get it?! Give it to me already!
If you are not using Windows, or you just don't like to download any pre-compiled tools, you can get the source code here: gmapgen.zip
MD5: 0655ABC4DEF000E01D555312970A6BBC

Throw me a PM and I'll give you a link to the compiled version.

Holy #@$, this is awesome! How can I thank you?!
I wouldn't mind some positive reputation

Additional notes:
I'm not responsible for any damage caused to your computer by this script. (Additional additional note: The chance it will do that is at an all-time low of course. Just incase though..)

As I mentioned, this is my first useful Python script. I'm not actually posting this here to get advice on what can be done better, but if any Python guru wants to point anything out, feel free to do so!

Last edited by Crono; 02-13-2011 at 06:51 PM..