FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Former Manager of Val
WarriorCam will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to WarriorCam
What would attract you to Valikorlia?

I am just wondering, what would attract some of you, the Graal players who don't play our server, to our server? My goal is to keep Valikorlia a strict roleplaying server, so please don't bother suggesting we drop that element of it because that is one thing that is not being dropped. I am also of the belief that keeping an active playerbase interested in roleplaying happy is more important than keeping a large playerbase that doesn't roleplay as much. Quality over quantity.

Anyways, yeah. If you have any suggestions, comments, ideas, let me know. If you're not quite sure what our server is all about, feel free to ask and I'll try my best to explain the chaos that is Val.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:40 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
I don't know anything about Valikorlia ... maybe advertise it a bit, write some news, etc?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:08 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
A lot of current "Valikorlians" aren't really even Valikorlians at heart. They claim they don't want a level up/"battle" system because it ruins roleplaying and whatnot, but what they don't realize is that when Valikorlia was revived in 2002, that's exactly what it had. It had a level up system and it had a way to hit other players (even though pking was illegal).

In 2003 Val was at it's prime, constantly battling with Era for second place on the playerlist, sometimes even grabbing first. It had a great level up system, first of it's kind on any playerworld in it's time, it had a nice and original gui, and it still had some RPing. Some may say that Val2003 killed RPing because everyone was either a newb or too busy leveling up, but honestly it wasn't really even that bad.

The current generation of players (on Val of course) are mostly midbies who probably started playing Valikorlia in 2004. They wouldn't understand how important it is to actually draw players to the server even if very little of the players are actually willing to RP. The problem in 2003 was that RPing wasn't really heavily encouraged or enforced. I blame this on the overworld. When Val got rid of the overworld and introduced the worldmap (2004), RP began to pick up again. I know that the level-up system was removed when the worldmap was introduced but I do truly believe the worldmap played a bigger role in encouraging RPing than the removal of the level-up system.

In my opinion (obviously) Val needs to re-introduce the level up system and introduce some kind of battle system to give the server the RPG element it needs. Valikorlia is not and never was supposed to be purely text based. New players are not a bad thing, if Val increased it's active playerbase by 40-50 players and only 15 of them RP it's still more RP activity which should be welcomed.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Val of today is just awesome.
But most of players are just getting on graal to kill
Which has more effect on Zone and Era, they just love to kill
The actual players love to RP, which is nice ok, but you should have both
Leveling system back AND RP
Look on GK, we can do lot of things, and we can also RP in our kingdoms
I must agree this is probably not the same type of RP
There was a period where I was playing Valikorlia.
But seriously, Val got such nice graphisms and systems, but it would be wonderful if it could become like GK.

Because, even if you like to RP, there is nothing else to do than RP and Idle all day there.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Rgesitreed Uesr
Pimmeh has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Pimmeh Send a message via MSN to Pimmeh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
A lot of current "Valikorlians" aren't really even Valikorlians at heart. They claim they don't want a level up/"battle" system because it ruins roleplaying and whatnot, but what they don't realize is that when Valikorlia was revived in 2002, that's exactly what it had. It had a level up system and it had a way to hit other players (even though pking was illegal).

In 2003 Val was at it's prime, constantly battling with Era for second place on the playerlist, sometimes even grabbing first. It had a great level up system, first of it's kind on any playerworld in it's time, it had a nice and original gui, and it still had some RPing. Some may say that Val2003 killed RPing because everyone was either a newb or too busy leveling up, but honestly it wasn't really even that bad.

The current generation of players (on Val of course) are mostly midbies who probably started playing Valikorlia in 2004. They wouldn't understand how important it is to actually draw players to the server even if very little of the players are actually willing to RP. The problem in 2003 was that RPing wasn't really heavily encouraged or enforced. I blame this on the overworld. When Val got rid of the overworld and introduced the worldmap (2004), RP began to pick up again. I know that the level-up system was removed when the worldmap was introduced but I do truly believe the worldmap played a bigger role in encouraging RPing than the removal of the level-up system.

In my opinion (obviously) Val needs to re-introduce the level up system and introduce some kind of battle system to give the server the RPG element it needs. Valikorlia is not and never was supposed to be purely text based. New players are not a bad thing, if Val increased it's active playerbase by 40-50 players and only 15 of them RP it's still more RP activity which should be welcomed.
Yes.
Omake, if you want to attract older players back go Valikorlia, I agree with Crono.

Also, I have never had the feeling that you could get things approved easily, and even the small things need full approval.

Accesability, playability, challenges
Those things are generally what I look for in a game, and when I started playing Valikorlia (2002, right after it launched) it had me hooked up. I RPed more then I leveled, although I think I was the only one who did so, and had lots of fun with the larger RP's that involved nations, army drills and whatnot.
Nowadays I miss that about Valikorlia, and that is why I have stopped playing.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
A decent PVP system.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:42 PM
My empire of dirt
Twinny is just really niceTwinny is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Twinny
Main problem with Val is that I never really know how to start. I could never find any guides or anything and the players were too afraid to break character to help you (that or they just don't care). You need a friend to get you started seemingly....
Old 06-26-2008, 04:22 PM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
I'm really a big roleplayer in yahoo IM's lol.

I don't like to do it player by player. The few times I've went on there asking to rp in pm's I've always gotten asked why and no one would do it. xD
Old 06-26-2008, 05:22 PM
graal player lord
Imperialistic is a jewel in the roughImperialistic is a jewel in the rough
Maybe making it a optional RP server... a whole another side to Val would be awesome.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Banned
xAzerothx has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to xAzerothx Send a message via MSN to xAzerothx Send a message via Yahoo to xAzerothx
PvP.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:06 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
I think most Graalians just don't like roleplaying ... this is obvious on GK as well.

me: ahoy there
you: yo wats up
Old 06-26-2008, 09:32 PM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
I see very few Valikorlian oldbies around anymore. When I log on I instantly remember how wonderful it was back 00-03. Before Clash got manager (no offense, Clash) I loved Valikorlia. What would bring me back to Valikorlia? Asca Dagnir, or similar. I know many people are against this, but I am a true Valikorlian, and I want to see the old kingdoms back. The Valikorlia that exists now is not the Valikorlia that I knew and once appreciated it.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 06-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Bowie's Deciple
Kristi has a spectacular aura aboutKristi has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Kristi Send a message via MSN to Kristi
Attractive 18+ females
Old 06-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I haven't played Val in a long time, but assuming from Crono's post, the whole system revolves around roleplaying? Roleplaying is fine, a system built ONLY on roleplaying is not. You can't rely on players to make their own game, you have to give them stuff to do as well. Just don't forget about RP, keep enforcing it, and it shouldn't go away.

I agree with Crono, if I remember rightly, Val had a pretty cool RPG system.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:57 PM
o.o
Switch has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Switch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I haven't played Val in a long time, but assuming from Crono's post, the whole system revolves around roleplaying?
Actually, there is no real "system" of it...
Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye?
Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
Closed Thread