Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quick Update + Opinions

It's probably about time I announced that the new systems have been implemented for all players for those who haven't visited the server over the last 2 weeks or so, there are still some additions to them intended but the focus has shifted more towards actual content now.

It still needs to be documented but some additional features are the respawn invincibility time, minimap being possible to hide by clicking it, heads on the minimap being semi transparent when the player is too far away to be constantly recieving their position, a new C focus where focus circles around the player and can be frozen on a spot by clicking, and unfrozen by clicking again, hiding under bushes/pots hiding nickname/rating + minimap displays.

This is coupled with the Overworld being expanded to include the Castle, Southern 2 levels of Mod Town, Master Lis + the Graveyard,
this pretty much finalises Graal City atleast until a point of time where it is felt that it's content is complete.

Anyway, one thing i'd like opinions on is for a new spar arena class,
I currently have the basics of a re-useable + customisable arena class made, just without extras such as displays, quicker ways of entering the spar/queue as opposed to a chat command etc,
I remember during an old suggestions thread hotkeys were suggested, this could perhaps be coupled with a text display explaining what key to press, or perhaps a button display which you just click to enter the queue.

Streaks are something that can be included, perhaps a display for the next 2 people in the queue, ties now have their statistics handled uniquely as opposed to both sparrers "killing" eachother, no rate is exchanged but I could probably make a custom calculation for it where it wouldn't favour one sparrer depending on who died first as a result of the tied hits.

There are also new statistics such as Victories, Defeats, Ties, the average percentage of your health you have remaining per victory, the average perentage of your opponents health remaining per defeat.

Something else i'd like opinions on is to do with remaking the Map System,
in the past the basic map image + scroll was done pretty quickly,
it was the addition of markers that was somewhat more time consuming, but they are a potentially useful resource.
Also do people feel that having the different maps as obtainable Items was a good idea?
Or perhaps they should be obtainable but not as weapons and only display when you are on that map?
Maybe just leave them fully automatic and so that you don't have to obtain them?
What about a whole new gui where you scroll through obtained maps to select what should be displayed?
Old 10-26-2009, 12:08 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Movement felt fluid when I was walking around by myself. Hit detection seems decent, aside from the bugs that pretty much ruined testing it (Aarian 1 hit ko'ing me, freezing players when dying, no death sequence, etc) and the recoil which doesn't seem right at all. The nicknames move when you're recoiling, or maybe it's just when you're recoiling over a chair. Hiro mentioned something about not being able to slash while blinking, I think he'll be able to expand more on that. It will probably be easier to test the hit detection in a spar arena, though with the movement being as slow as it is, it's always going to feel different from what people are currently used to. Player Killer tag is pointless.

The overworld feels uncomfortable to me and doesn't feel like any incarnation of Classic I have memories of. The castle area looks awful, out of the way, and detached. The addition of the graveyard seems like a pointless nod to extremely old players who don't actually log on, but I like the ghost effect even though it shouldn't really appear straight away or in broad daylight (day night system, ghosts in that area when it's night?). Clicking on the minimap is another pointless feature and will become intrusive when reading toalls, assuming you're going to still have them. I thought the bag of maps feature that was in the last Classic version wasn't used, or at least I didn't see a point in using it, so I think they should be obtainable but act like the ordinary map does. I still think that the options button should be moved to the start bar too, and I don't like my nickname constantly showing either.

I think that's everything.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:19 AM
-Ramirez- has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
freezing players when dying, no death sequence, etc) and the recoil which doesn't seem right at all
All this time and these problems exist? Wow. That pretty much tells me that they're probably never going to get the systems right from the start, as usual. These things are incredibly trivial when you're "starting from scratch" and should've been near perfect from the first public use.

Feel free to whine because I'm not giving any positive feedback, Ziplock. There hasn't been any for this server for 5+ years.
Edit: I stand corrected regarding feedback. Storm was removed. That's the most positive thing done, except that it was way too late.

Last edited by Darlene159; 10-26-2009 at 02:44 AM..
Old 10-26-2009, 12:23 AM
Classic FAQ
xnervNATx will become famous soon enough
i love the hd, much much better than before.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ramirez- View Post
All this time and these problems exist? Wow. That pretty much tells me that they're probably never going to get the systems right from the start, as usual. These things are incredibly trivial when you're "starting from scratch" and should've been near perfect from the first public use.
Not at all, these problems did exist, but only temporarily as a result of a small addition, which funnily enough is a similar one to where a certain someone temporarily broke health stats before, however the HD was working perfectly at the time of implementation, sometimes you don't know about these possibilities until you see the problem occuring, this is to be expected on a server which is under construction though.

Also I don't think it's fair to judge systems unless you've either observed them or experienced them first hand.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
which funnily enough is a similar one to where a certain someone temporarily broke health stats before
It's interesting that you try to compare it to something which none of us ever understood or tracked down, as I recall.

Quote:
Also I don't think it's fair to judge systems unless you've either observed them or experienced them first hand.
Perhaps it's not "fair", but I wouldn't be at all surprised to find many imperfections if I actually did test it myself. Besides, I'm pretty confident that Rufus didn't make up what he said.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 AM
Banned
Quote:
It's interesting that you try to compare it to something which none of us ever understood or tracked down, as I recall.
That's not actually what I was referring to, I was referring to a change in the ability to heal/maxhp regarding stuff like the level being a spar arena, AP restrictions etc.
I think I did track down the cause of the bug you're referring to in the end though, was as a result of the Old GC Tool being put back into use alongside the new GC Tool, which didn't properly adjust HP.

Quote:
Perhaps it's not "fair", but I wouldn't be at all surprised to find many imperfections if I actually did test it myself. Besides, I'm pretty confident that Rufus didn't make up what he said.
It's already clear that the bugs mentioned were not made up, it's frustating when something like that occurs but they were however fixed with ease and fairly quickly, so I think what you're doing is admitting that your opinions are based on nothing but biasedness.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:09 AM
Quote:
it's frustating when something like that occurs but they were however fixed with ease and fairly quickly, so I think what you're doing is admitting that your opinions are based on nothing but biasedness.
When I was thinking about my response to this, I realized that I genuinely don't care about what happens to the server anymore, so I honestly don't know why I post at all. However, I'll say what I was going to before. It's frustrating that I enjoyed the server so much in the past, and put so much of my time into developing for it to have it constantly be screwed over by people who I'm not confident in the abilities of.

You say that I'm biased... that implies (an) assumption(s) on my part, does it not? What I'm going off of is my observations of what you've done. I've seen some of your code. I've seen things you've "produced". I've seen your opinions/attitude toward what you're doing. I don't trust you to get it done as it should be done for a server still being called "Classic".

As a note though, you're doing much more than Storm ever did, which is good at least. ...and all of this is serving no purpose but to express my opinion that nobody cares about anyway. Fail. I guess I'm just that bored.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:03 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Hiro mentioned something about not being able to slash while blinking, I think he'll be able to expand more on that. It will probably be easier to test the hit detection in a spar arena, though with the movement being as slow as it is, it's always going to feel different from what people are currently used to.
traditionally when you blink and move, when you swing the sword or change direction you lose the blink (unless you know how to strafe-hold a blink), and you can do it at any point during the blink. with how classic has it's blink, you can't swing until the blink is finished, and when you change directions you keep the blink (you can go up and down and stay within the blink, which isn't the same as strafe-holding, where you hold the key you initially blinked with + another direction)

it's like the opposite of how blink usually works, and it changes everything about PKing and sparring because of it; in my opinion, a bad change. suddenly blink is only a defensive move, since you can only run away, not lure someone in to slash so the blink can deny it and then slash them since they are vulnerable. the way it works where you can see the sword vanish from the GUI also makes it feel very choppy, not fluid, since you, and everyone else, can tell when your can swing your sword again and you can see each stage of the blink at work - the trickery behind it goes away, and the effectiveness
Old 10-26-2009, 02:18 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
traditionally when you blink and move, when you swing the sword or change direction you lose the blink (unless you know how to strafe-hold a blink), and you can do it at any point during the blink. with how classic has it's blink, you can't swing until the blink is finished, and when you change directions you keep the blink (you can go up and down and stay within the blink, which isn't the same as strafe-holding, where you hold the key you initially blinked with + another direction)

it's like the opposite of how blink usually works, and it changes everything about PKing and sparring because of it; in my opinion, a bad change. suddenly blink is only a defensive move, since you can only run away, not lure someone in to slash so the blink can deny it and then slash them since they are vulnerable. the way it works where you can see the sword vanish from the GUI also makes it feel very choppy, not fluid, since you, and everyone else, can tell when your can swing your sword again and you can see each stage of the blink at work - the trickery behind it goes away, and the effectiveness
The only time you can't slash while blinking is during the respawn blink, and not the normal hit blink.
Also the blink does disappear once you change direction, just after a time of 0.5 seconds, any turn before then is ignored, which seems to be the case with Default too.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:29 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
The only time you can't slash while blinking is during the respawn blink, and not the normal hit blink.
Also the blink does disappear once you change direction, just after a time of 0.5 seconds, any turn before then is ignored, which seems to be the case with Default too.
no not really. the blink is radically different from the default one - not being able to slash out of respawn is troubling, but it also doesn't work on any normal type of blink - i'm not even sure what you mean by "not the normal hit blink" i'm guess you mean being hit by a bush or bomb - those are treated the same as a sword-hit blink in default

and that .5 seconds is all the difference in terms of metagame in sparring. that .5 seconds is the difference between getting hit and hitting, and, like i said, changes everything

according to your post i'm just lying about everything i experienced on the server and the blink is perfect
Old 10-26-2009, 02:50 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
no not really. the blink is radically different from the default one - not being able to slash out of respawn is troubling, but it also doesn't work on any normal type of blink - i'm not even sure what you mean by "not the normal hit blink" i'm guess you mean being hit by a bush or bomb - those are treated the same as a sword-hit blink in default

and that .5 seconds is all the difference in terms of metagame in sparring. that .5 seconds is the difference between getting hit and hitting, and, like i said, changes everything

according to your post i'm just lying about everything i experienced on the server and the blink is perfect
I never said the blink was perfect, but some of your post does seem inaccurate, yes.
The blink for when you are hit by a sword is identicle to the blink for when you are hit by a thrown projectile (though I admit I haven't tested to see if Default thrown projectiles/arrows/bombs are supposed to make you blink differently), and it definately does allow for you to slash.

Not being able to slash after respawning is not going to make any difference to sparring, as far as PKing goes combining it with invincibility does give the benefit of no spawn laming.

That 0.5 seconds of being able to turn and not lose your blink is what has been measured with Default, I am able to turn imediately and then keep blinking as I face that new direction, I then have a further 1.5 seconds inwhich If I turn I lose the blink.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:41 AM
GREATEST
Ares is on a distinguished road
i haven't tested this new HD yet for myself, but seeing hiro complain how different it is compared to default HD, i can definitely see classic being a god awful server again..
Old 10-26-2009, 06:11 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
I knew this would fail as soon as I heard Classic was going with a "default emulated" custom hit detection. Though in my opinion everybody will look for noticeable flaws in this new hd and instantly despise it as Classic has a terrible history with custom systems to which it will never be accepted. I have no idea why a custom hd/movement is even required for a simplistic server such as Classic.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 10-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
I knew this would fail as soon as I heard Classic was going with a "default emulated" custom hit detection.
It can be done perfectly, they just don't achieve perfection.