Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 02:06 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike Send a message via Skype™ to ffcmike
Which way now?

This may come as a surprise to some,
but the first thing i'd like to make clear is that I believe the server being put down to UC could provide an opportunity.

Maybe people can forget about the past, and we can focus entirely ahead,
that's looking on the bright side anyway,
but from a Development standpoint, this could be easier for us to put the idea into practise, what have we got to lose?

The most important thing is that we can come up with a plan,
one that is well thought out but realistic, and that the majority if not everyone (Management, Admins, Staff, Players) can agree with it.
I definately have my own ideas, Storm has always had his vision on how a server should be built, I know some members of the Dev Team are creative and believe they know which direction the server should be heading, and i'm certain there are plenty of players out there with ideas.

Something else i'm hoping is that there may be some Developers out there across Graal who perhaps felt as if they wanted to help out on the server but that they didn't like the current setup or the direction it was heading in,
maybe withholding grudges would be asking too much but if there's any such people out there with any proposals or ideas who would otherwise be willing to help work on the server then we would be willing to change our setup and direction to accommodate them.

I've spoken to several members of the Dev Team tonight,
and i'm under the impression that everyone I spoke to would be in favour of restarting the Server from scratch,
using Default Systems,
building a small but efficient foundation where the Overworld would be small at first that would however allow us to expand outwards strategically towards a plan at a later point in time.
I know there are players out there who may be happy with the idea of the server being entirely Default, though perhaps there are some who would feel this measure would be too much of a step backwards, whichever way now is the time to make your opinions on where the server be headed be heard.

Having said that,
I still need to discuss things with Master Storm,
DC quitting was a possibility we had previously discussed and came to a couple of agreements over how it should be handled,
however there are other issues that remain undecided,
we weren't expecting the server to go UC but all I can say is that it could be a blessing in disguise if we make the most of it.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:21 AM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Luda
Why do both you and Master Storm only make threads and changes when you're at risk of being removed?
Old 06-30-2009, 02:25 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
One thing I've noticed about Classic over the years under the management of MS... there's a lot of provoked and unprovoked chatter to try to raise the hope of the players. I say if someone isn't asking, then the best thing you can do to raise hope is to actually do something and show them that you actually mean business. I've read so many "inspirational" speeches from MS over the years and not a single damn thing he has claimed/said has been done.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:26 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike Send a message via Skype™ to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luda View Post
Why do both you and Master Storm only make threads and changes when you're at risk of being removed?
Because now is a pretty important time to be contemplating changes,
and not a good time to be making personal attacks.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:28 AM
-Albus will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to -Albus
Now is a very important time to start thinking about what is going to happen with Classic. Now, not years ago, but now.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:29 AM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Albus View Post
Now is a very important time to start thinking about what is going to happen with Classic. Now, not years ago, but now.
Now is all there is.....
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Old 06-30-2009, 02:33 AM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
Because now is a pretty important time to be contemplating changes,
and not a good time to be making personal attacks.
Oh, so before none of this was as important? It has only became obvious since your job is under threat? I don't see how it's a personal attack, it's the truth and everyone knows that.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:34 AM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Quote:
restarting the Server from scratch,
I have one piece of advice for you:
Be careful, you're treading in dangerous waters with that decision. There is a really really good chance that you will never come back if you do that. Take my word for it, and just work backwards, instead of completely restarting. Start by converting classic to default hit detection then go from there, but don't restart from scratch.

If you restart from scratch you will be shocked when you are faced with such a large responsibility of remaking the server. Especially with your lack of development help.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 06-30-2009, 02:35 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
The past is a very important factor in what people should hope to expect in the future, especially with the enormous track record and history Classic now has.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:40 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Oh, so before none of this was as important? It has only became obvious since your job is under threat? I don't see how it's a personal attack, it's the truth and everyone knows that.
This matters why? Most of these ideas have been in the talks for a bit, and now that the server is in UC is the best time to consider it.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 06-30-2009, 02:45 AM
Banned
Quote:
Mistakes have been made,
and right from the start to the present,
no denying it,
but Classic hasn't always been in such a desperately bad situation has it?
Now it's got to the point where it's not a choice, but a necessity.
But on the bright side, mistakes can be learnt from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
One thing I've noticed about Classic over the years under the management of MS... there's a lot of provoked and unprovoked chatter to try to raise the hope of the players. I say if someone isn't asking, then the best thing you can do to raise hope is to actually do something and show them that you actually mean business. I've read so many "inspirational" speeches from MS over the years and not a single damn thing he has claimed/said has been done.
That's a fair point,
but do you have any suggestions as to what it is that should be done?

Quote:
My point was on the lines of there are more important things to worry about than my own position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
I have one piece of advice for you:
Be careful, you're treading in dangerous waters with that decision. There is a really really good chance that you will never come back if you do that. Take my word for it, and just work backwards, instead of completely restarting. Start by converting classic to default hit detection then go from there, but don't restart from scratch.

If you restart from scratch you will be shocked when you are faced with such a large responsibility of remaking the server. Especially with your lack of development help.
It's not a decision that has been made,
or a concrete plan,
just an idea,
and i'm hoping for everyone with an idea to contribute it.
It is a possibile outcome though, but as i've said, the plan has to be realistic to begin with, I personally don't think it's realistic to expect to make one large and content filled server all at once, and ofcourse not absolutely everything needs to be remade from scratch, levels can be reused.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:54 AM
-Albus will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to -Albus
Quote:
Mistakes have been made,
and right from the start to the present,
no denying it,
but Classic hasn't always been in such a desperately bad situation has it?
Now it's got to the point where it's not a choice, but a necessity.
But on the bright side, mistakes can be learnt from.
You're right, it was actually in halfway decent shape before storm took the server over.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
This matters why? Most of these ideas have been in the talks for a bit, and now that the server is in UC is the best time to consider it.
Theres only effort being placed into "big changes" when there is a risk of bein removed, how does that not matter? Does the management need to be on the verge of removal every time we get attempts at change?

Quote:
My point was on the lines of there are more important things to worry about than my own position.
If you were concerned about the server as opposed to your position then why is this only happening now when ur on the edge of losing it?
Old 06-30-2009, 03:18 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
I think moving back to default would probably be the best thing that can happen to Classic. I can see this move attracting more developers to Classic (since the bloated and complex system in place now was a huge deterrent even for the most skilled scripter).

All I can say is "finally". The PWA gave the management of Classic a wakeup call; Classic isn't invincible. Something has to change, and it has to change NOW. Whether or not the management of Classic recognizes the message and reacts is up to them.

I am willing to put some effort into rebuilding Classic. I will offer my services as LAT, although since I know the general opinion of me within Management is pretty negative I fully expect you guys to turn my offer down. If you're really trying to forgive, then send me a forum PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:21 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
That's a fair point,
but do you have any suggestions as to what it is that should be done?
Less talk, more walk. Classic has gained a horrible track record over the years so no amount of talking is going to convince anyone you're going to do something. Wanna show them you're gonna do it? DO IT.