Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #76  
Old 08-03-2010, 04:02 AM
Waltz5 Waltz5 is offline
Kyden
Waltz5's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: PA
Posts: 1,906
Waltz5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
100% agree with this. I used to be able to make levels, and wouldn't mind at all doing that. I also have pretty good knowledge of what people enjoyed on 2k1, and the things that were succesful and how they were executed. If 2k1 was going to be brought back I, along with ALOT of other people, would fully support all time being dedicated to it.
What he said.

I'd play.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 08-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Alure1316 Alure1316 is offline
Registered User
Alure1316's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Bernardino, California
Posts: 123
Alure1316 is on a distinguished road
I fully support this, 100%.

There would be no better task for the GDT than to work on Graal 2001 (Bomy Land, Bomy Island, Graal Bomy Moon, whatever you guys plan on calling it).

But the question is, which version would you guys work on? We've seen plenty of so called "managers" try to bring their own version of Graal 2001 back, but they've all seemed to fail or lose interest in the project, truly not worth the title of Graal 2001 Manager.

Now, seeing that the GDT will be willing to work on it, I think Graal 2001 will actually have a chance to come back to the Classic list. Hopefully it releases in less than a year though.

As far as who gets Managerial rights in the end will have to be decided by the community as a whole. I, myself think it should be someone who is familiar with all modes of development. If those people are not interested, then it should be someone who is actually interested in keeping Graal 2001 up and running.

I also think the more developers helping the GDT, the better. Recruit developers who are willing, able, and interested in Graal 2001's release and success.


Anyway, I just hope that this time the server actually comes back to the list and that the players who want to play on it do not have to wait another 1-3 years for even a small update.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 08-03-2010, 01:59 PM
DutchGuy DutchGuy is offline
The Flying Dutchmen
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 261
DutchGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
You need a LARGE group of people willing to spend time on it in every area needed.
As long as you are not dependant on just one person, everything is fine. I'd say bring a little bit of everything back to 2K1 . Meaning a little bit of everything that made 2K1 and other servers popular back in the day. Something all players recognize.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 08-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Loriel Loriel is offline
Somewhat rusty
Loriel's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 5,059
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
The problem with this plan is obviously that making people work on something created by cool people does not transfer the coolness from the second group of people to the first group of people and consequently what they are working on
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 08-03-2010, 08:01 PM
sssssssssss sssssssssss is offline
Cyril Rain
sssssssssss's Avatar
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 1,134
sssssssssss will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to sssssssssss
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchGuy View Post
You need a LARGE group of people willing to spend time on it in every area needed.
As long as you are not dependant on just one person, everything is fine. I'd say bring a little bit of everything back to 2K1 . Meaning a little bit of everything that made 2K1 and other servers popular back in the day. Something all players recognize.
Actually a small group of 2-3 people dedicated to doing it, as long as those 3 can at least do gfx, script, and gani, is all you need.
__________________
Cyril Rain
Creator and leader of SLX
Admin of Elysium
Elysium's Facebook Page: http://facebook.com/GraalOnlineElysium
Graal Forum Thread: http://forums.graalonline.com...
Graalians Thread: http://www.graalians.com...


Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 08-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Loriel Loriel is offline
Somewhat rusty
Loriel's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 5,059
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
yeah but **** waiting on one guy to do all the graphics
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 08-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Kristi Kristi is offline
Bowie's Deciple
Kristi's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 748
Kristi has a spectacular aura aboutKristi has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Kristi Send a message via MSN to Kristi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
yeah but **** waiting on one guy to do all the graphics
This has always been my bottleneck on *any* graal project.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 08-04-2010, 02:55 AM
Inverness Inverness is offline
Incubator
Inverness's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,613
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
I think the direction of G2k1 should be decided by a group of people rather than by one person. Ideas need to be brainstormed, organized, and evaluated.

I'll throw out some things I considered recently:
  • I despise the custom bodies and want the normal ones. They have a great deal more content available for them and are more familiar to just about every graphics artist.
  • It's ridiculous that bomys could only move in one of four directions at a time.
  • I believe it is important to focus on kingdoms, but I don't think it is a good idea to have all five available to players at the beginning as to not dilute players among the kingdoms if there isn't a decent server population. I believe it would be best to start out with 3 kingdoms, then increase to 5 depending on kingdom/server population and demand. I don't know how old G2k1 players would feel about this, so I'm interested in hearing opinions.
Edit:
James, ESET Smart Security keeps blocking whatever is in your signature.
__________________

Last edited by Inverness; 08-04-2010 at 03:12 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 08-04-2010, 03:19 AM
xXziroXx xXziroXx is offline
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx's Avatar
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,288
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
James, ESET Smart Security keeps blocking whatever is in your signature.
It's a moogle!
__________________

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 08-04-2010, 03:33 AM
Loriel Loriel is offline
Somewhat rusty
Loriel's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 5,059
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
  • I despise the custom bodies and want the normal ones. They have a great deal more content available for them and are more familiar to just about every graphics artist.
Meh. The old bodies are kind of crappy and do not really lend themselves to player customisation beyond hats. Not sure how great the custom bodies actually looked, but I could see some room for gimmicky kingdom-specific accessoires. I guess I would make this contingent on what you can do for graphics artists.

Quote:
  • It's ridiculous that bomys could only move in one of four directions at a time.
Is having playable bomies even worth it? The whole "no hands" thing makes most things really stretching it, and I am not sure if dividing content beween humans and bomies as well as possibly between the kingdoms is really worth it. To what extent did players choose to be a bomy, anyway, and how many of them were involved in kingdoms? Is playable bomies really a thing or can we just make the interesting parts work through pets/npcs/story?

Quote:
  • I believe it is important to focus on kingdoms, but I don't think it is a good idea to have all five available to players at the beginning as to not dilute players among the kingdoms if there isn't a decent server population. I believe it would be best to start out with 3 kingdoms, then increase to 5 depending on kingdom/server population and demand. I don't know how old G2k1 players would feel about this, so I'm interested in hearing opinions.
I figure just starting with dustari and santerrain would be sufficient. Even then I would hold off the whole "there is actually a player in charge of the entire kingdom" thing, mostly to avoid competing with GK for retarded power struggles and each new king tearing down all the stuff that happened before him, and also so there is more room for actual staff to flesh out the kingdoms with interesting content. Ideally you get some clever people on board to script out interesting politics and whatnot if people want a proper backdrop for their roleplaying, but just doing the GK thing and handing out ranks and hoping that some cool kingdom dynamics spontaneously evolve is probably not the way to go.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 08-04-2010, 03:41 AM
benpoke103 benpoke103 is offline
Zvarri!
benpoke103's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 332
benpoke103 will become famous soon enough
Loriel, have you been hiding on IRC buddy?
__________________
Need support? Here's how to reach me.

Forum PM (Preferred)
#graaldt @ Freenode
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 08-04-2010, 03:42 AM
Brad Brad is offline
Rat...
Brad's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 10,955
Brad has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Brad Send a message via Yahoo to Brad
please have playable bomys. Loved racing so much. <3 Only had a human to mine with. :/ Old playable bomy generations allowed us to not get lamed by humans. However, when the new HP system was generated it made bomys terrible. Before then, I could hold my own pking any human.
__________________

Brad.
2k14lyf
Forum idiots shall rule once more.


Quote:
Originally Posted by unixmad
Forums without brad will have been sad
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 08-04-2010, 03:52 AM
Loriel Loriel is offline
Somewhat rusty
Loriel's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 5,059
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by benpoke103 View Post
Loriel, have you been hiding on IRC buddy?
I am still using the same nick, but not hanging out in the channel anymore since half of it has seen fit to be ****s to us.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 08-04-2010, 03:54 AM
Loriel Loriel is offline
Somewhat rusty
Loriel's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 5,059
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
please have playable bomys. Loved racing so much. <3 Only had a human to mine with. :/ Old playable bomy generations allowed us to not get lamed by humans. However, when the new HP system was generated it made bomys terrible. Before then, I could hold my own pking any human.
Yeah okay but you could probably race if someone just makes ridable bomy pets.

Would it be interesting to have something like humans getting all the cool fighty things, sword, bamboo stick and whatnot, and bomies get some creepy psychic powers that do not require hands? I really have a problem with bomies carrying things.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 08-04-2010, 04:11 AM
Inverness Inverness is offline
Incubator
Inverness's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,613
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
I figure just starting with dustari and santerrain would be sufficient. Even then I would hold off the whole "there is actually a player in charge of the entire kingdom" thing, mostly to avoid competing with GK for retarded power struggles and each new king tearing down all the stuff that happened before him, and also so there is more room for actual staff to flesh out the kingdoms with interesting content. Ideally you get some clever people on board to script out interesting politics and whatnot if people want a proper backdrop for their roleplaying, but just doing the GK thing and handing out ranks and hoping that some cool kingdom dynamics spontaneously evolve is probably not the way to go.
I'm all for that. A few months ago I started working on a plan for Santerrain to revamp the town and improve it. I wanted to make more use of the space for future player housing or for other needs, and give it a more Japanese look.

I also think that one of the important things for kingdoms is to establish a color scheme for kingdom's flag, uniforms, and anything else related. I want to be able to tell what kingdom a person is a member of just by seeing their outfit, if they choose to wear their kingdom's uniform of course.

I've attached the first image I made to highlight how I wanted to divide the town. I actually added outlines to the levels I still have to show where buildings could go and where the main road and walls divide the town, don't have shots of that stuff.

Edit: I think we should keep playable bomy's but improve them and possibly make it possible to transform into one at will. Despite some of the previous disadvantages of playing as a bomy, I liked that you could do something not possible on other servers.

Edit 2: If not having hands is a significant disadvantage then we either need to come up with another advantage to balance it out or just go with the psychic powers thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Samurai Town Map - Zones v1.png
Views:	100
Size:	836.8 KB
ID:	51456  
__________________

Last edited by Inverness; 08-04-2010 at 04:25 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (C) 1998-2008 Linux cyberjoueurs All Rights Reserved.