Old 06-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
i will stand behind zip for manager
are you quitting or what?

do you need a ****ing spotlight on you 24/7 to avoid killing yourself?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:01 AM
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
i quit yesterday you retard

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint
Old 06-30-2009, 08:22 AM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
i quit yesterday you retard
then why are you still here crying
Old 06-30-2009, 08:24 AM
im not i am merely supporting ziplock.

~DC
Old 06-30-2009, 08:47 AM
►Point Man◄
Terazel Tenjin is on a distinguished road
I was going to make a separate thread, but I guess the content fits better in this one.

What should be looked at right now as far as the server goes is whether it's more valuable as a server SLOT or a revitalization/rebirth project. Simply put, is it better to use this opportunity to continue the attempt to "fix" Classic or sink the toxic island and use this chance to make something entirely different?

A few of us foresaw this turn of events (ie: Classic as a server beyond fixing/redeeming). It's something of a vicious cycle. Lack of desirable content and/or player connections cause players to migrate to another server or leave Graal altogether, which in turn feeds that same fire. Classic itself didn't evolve disasterously; it was neglected as far as shaping where it should have headed. In my opinion, it was a cancer. It grew and grew with no beneficial or positive guidance and direction. The whole "too many chiefs and not enough indians" consistency also had a vastly negative impact on the server, as well as people who wanted to be the Jesus of Classic in its slump for the personal recognition. If those negative factors can be gutted out and avoided completely, the server itself, no matter where it's headed, has a chance of coming back strong.

I agree with what Midi said in the other thread. I feel that only with a completely different batch of developers and leadership can bring about positive change. It's a much bigger feat than it sounds, but like Midi said, if it can't be done, then it can't be done. The Classic of 2009 was on borrowed time anyway, and it seemed like only the people that have no stake in it at all were able to see that.

If the only value the server has is its SLOT, then why not give it to someone or a team that can make something positive out of it? Maybe have a competition bid and have someone else make something entirely different with their own team.

(^That's my gift to you, Stryker)

Fearless Leader of the Squirtle Squad Initiative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
Once again I flipflopped
Old 06-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Remonq is just really niceRemonq is just really nice
terazel has some pretty compelling points....
i think that what classic needs right now is a week or two to sort itself out and then things will become a little clearer as to which way we need to go once the dust starts to settle. as far as i know, all of the current admins are currently making plans to jump ship (with the exception of the managers of course but that's a different matter), but not in a completely irresponsible way.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:19 PM
mistral_007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonq View Post
terazel has some pretty compelling points....
i think that what classic needs right now is a week or two to sort itself out and then things will become a little clearer as to which way we need to go once the dust starts to settle. as far as i know, all of the current admins are currently making plans to jump ship (with the exception of the managers of course but that's a different matter), but not in a completely irresponsible way.
We assume you're talking about yourself =)
Old 06-30-2009, 03:23 PM
The Flying Dutchmen
DutchGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Ohhhh okay THOR so now we are good for ideas? so all of a sudden when classic has passed its expiring date we are good for ideas?
So all this time, in 5 years, where the players have made TONS of good ideas and no one ever listened, not you not storm, now we are good for ideas for the future of graal?
So the one(s) in particular Storm that have left the server for dead now need the ideas of players to bring it back to track?
NO! it's time for you and master storm to both step down. Like you said, there's a life outside Graal. If you can't dedicate time nor will for a server like classic, it's time to pack your bags. You people have had 5 years of time to make something out of it, and the best part is that you saw this moment coming, and guess what, now you and master storm want to re-build stuff, and lemme guess , when its done you guys are the all time saviours of reviving classsic out of a ****dump? right.
Get to steppin boys, your time has come just like classic.
We need new men, as soon as possible. I support people like maximus to do something for this server and someone capable enough to lead the group. Not some pussies that we have right now who can only pull a finger at eachother when they are themselve to blame.

Anyway if we start from scratch make sure users keep their records.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchGuy View Post
Ohhhh okay THOR so now we are good for ideas? so all of a sudden when classic has passed its expiring date we are good for ideas?
So all this time, in 5 years, where the players have made TONS of good ideas and no one ever listened, not you not storm, now we are good for ideas for the future of graal?
So the one(s) in particular Storm that have left the server for dead now need the ideas of players to bring it back to track?
NO! it's time for you and master storm to both step down. Like you said, there's a life outside Graal. If you can't dedicate time nor will for a server like classic, it's time to pack your bags. You people have had 5 years of time to make something out of it, and the best part is that you saw this moment coming, and guess what, now you and master storm want to re-build stuff, and lemme guess , when its done you guys are the all time saviours of reviving classsic out of a ****dump? right.
Get to steppin boys, your time has come just like classic.
We need new men, as soon as possible. I support people like maximus to do something for this server and someone capable enough to lead the group. Not some pussies that we have right now who can only pull a finger at eachother when they are themselve to blame.

Anyway if we start from scratch make sure users keep their records.
Please understand that if they dont deilver this short period they will most likely be fired. If they are fired classic will most likely be erased. Yes people had millions of ideas, there's been a solution / player. No one has agread on what to do and no one took charge bc it's "everyones" server unlike the rest of the servers. I don't buy the 5 years crap, YOU had 5 years why didn't you do something productive other than waiting 5 years to yell at people? Please shut it and start scripting, if you cant, learn it. Then you can do something about it.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:55 PM
of House Targaryen
Crimson2005 is a splendid one to beholdCrimson2005 is a splendid one to beholdCrimson2005 is a splendid one to beholdCrimson2005 is a splendid one to beholdCrimson2005 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Crimson2005 Send a message via Skype™ to Crimson2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral_007 View Post
Please understand that if they dont deilver this short period they will most likely be fired. If they are fired classic will most likely be erased. Yes people had millions of ideas, there's been a solution / player. No one has agread on what to do and no one took charge bc it's "everyones" server unlike the rest of the servers.
That's what they said the last time.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson2005 View Post
That's what they said the last time.
As far as I know higher up staff seems very serious and classic hasn't been taken off the serverlist before off what i recall. Thing is no one will play if nothing happens now, and i dont think the server will be put up to the serverlist without major change. Only thing making that happen is stefan if he wants to be sadistic and prolong the suffering.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
Time for epicness.

Ok look. Classic is like the Detriot Lions right now, the first NFL team to ever go 0-16 in a season. Neither of us can be any worse than we already are, outside of being removed. The Lions decided to gut the team, draft a franchise QB with the first pick in the draft, and start over. Classic needs to do the same.

Storm has failed. Perhaps the understatement of the century, but it's true. He's had years to try and make classic better, but instead we have slowly been on a course to destruction. He's done some nice things during his time (am I being too kind here?), but clearly it has not been enough. It's time for change.

Thor has only been around for 3 or so months in the manager position. I don't know everything he's done in the past few months, but it wouldn't be right to completely judge him yet due to the horrid condition the server + dev team has been in recently. Thor is a good scripter and a hard worker from what I've seen, though I don't know how good of a manager he can be.

All of that being said, here's my thoughts. Just like the detriot lions, we need to gut the server + staff and start over. We need to find a franchise quarterback (quickly, like within a week or two,) get some pieces around him, and move forward. I don't know who the new manager should be, whether it be thor or one of the other ppl who have thrown their name in the hat. Regardless, we're going to have to find someone and make sure it's a good pick. Once we have a new manager, we need to get some new admins for some of the other staff teams, because inactive admins really hinders the team. Once we have a staff assembled, we need to decide on the direction the server should take and work towards it.

As for what direction we should take, I have a few ideas. There are a lot of reasons classic sucks and has sucked for a while now, but we can only fix a few at a time. The overworld is simply too large and most of it goes unused since most of it is useless. A downsize is needed, but we must be careful because if we downsize too much, it could leave us with not enough to do outside of events. My suggestion would be to cut out everything outside of the mountains that surround the NE and NW of the main island. This means we'll lose all 3 islands, tons of unused houses on the outskirts of the server, and tons of ocean that we can't traverse. From that point, we'll need to start upgrading what is left, specifically with the towns. The problem with classic is that people never leave graal city because there is nothing to do except idle and chat with people when events aren't being hosted. Even during events, there isn't always a competitive drive to try to slaughter everyone and win; many times people idle and chat rather than fight their hardest.

So how do we correct this? First off, we need to give each city it's own identity and purpose. Don't put the same buildings (bowling alley, for example) in multiple cities. Give people a reason to visit and stay at each city. Rather than have guildhouses way out in the wilderness, have them near/inbetween cities. Rather than have quests out in random gnome tunnels and castles, put them in cities. Second off, we need to make travel faster in between cities. We could do one of two things: 1) return the warp jewels so we can warp from city to city, or 2) put a horse stable next to each city. Both options have pros/cons, so the new manager would have to decide which would be better. (Another idea I had was to have a KoM-like "heaven" area which you get warped to for 20 seconds each time you die. After the time had passed, you could warp to any city like with the KoM bases.) Once each city had some value and travel was made quicker, we would have to add tons of quests: small, medium, and large ones. My time on UN has shown me that even easy quests entice players to explore the server in search of them. Rather than spending months on one quest that the entire playercount will finish in a week, we need to keep adding lots of quests as we slowly expand the overworld.

Once the overworld is cut down, the towns are upgraded, travel is faster, guild houses are made attack-able, and quests are added, we can release the server to the masses. A revamped GC team, FAQ team, and GP team will be needed to help out during the first few (hopefully) busy weeks. How long will all of this take? Well, depending on how quickly we get a new manager and a direction is set, I guesstimate we can have it done by september or october.

Well, there are my thoughts. I don't know whether a conversion to straight up default would be best for the server (though apparently it would be far easier to scripters,) nor do I know how long that will take (many months, apparently.) I'm sure some of you will find fault with my ideas, which is another problem classic has had: too much arguing and not enough action. It's hard for a bunch of people to come to an agreement on things, but this is one of those times where we need to get it done. Classic is simply not going to survive if we don't get working in a new direction pretty soon.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:25 PM
The Flying Dutchmen
DutchGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
it's time current staff acts as a mentor and teach the people who are willing to help an hand to make the best out of this server.
If we don't unite we'll die. It's as simple as that. The first idea is to gather a small team that are willing to learn the basics. A team that that has common knowledge. And last the team of superiors who watch over the tasks.
Then we will need ideas for the server to be made.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:31 PM
classic under a different management would have to use systems different from the current, i can say that immeadiately. the two managers now are the only two people left that know fully how classics systems are scripted and how to script with and around them.

its no coincedence that their inactivity has slowed down the ability of progression, contentwise. there is simply a vast lacking of scripting manpower when they only log in twice a week, and usually don't script when they do log in.

~DC