Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you have a problem with a server scaling graphics to 200%?
Yes. 5 18.52%
No. 22 81.48%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2010, 06:09 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
I'd love it. I always liked 2x scaled pixel art, it just looks awesome.
Also, Elk, if you want that effect on your computer, try out the ZSNES emulator, it has an inbuilt NTSC filter which does the job quite well.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:42 PM
geneticfrog can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to geneticfrog Send a message via MSN to geneticfrog
Here is where a graphics artist and a players opinions collide.

In these generations of dev scalling up resolution is just too old. Graal DID do the same thing with zelda tiles but pics1 is not SOO bad. Obviously people have come to accept pics one.

As a gfx artist, wanting to show the pixel art is obviously pretty common but other people wont share the same opinion.

For playesr basically you can spend 6000 hours doing pixel art of a peice or on a tileset. If it doesnt look right or it doesn't look good, as far as normal players are concerned its crap.

Players dont want to see the pixels anymore they see it as lazy or just lacking over showing art. Unless the wohle game is meant to be pixelated (maybE) it would get more accepted.

I do also have xbox with live and the only really pixelated games are the arcade games based on flash games. Even at that its the crappiest games on xbox arcade that are pixelated. (i beleive)

So in my opinion, yes it would bug me if a server still used scalled tiles. Its not like its hard to make 16x16 tiles.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Personally I don't enjoy the style.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Personally I don't enjoy the style.
pretty sure you put a yes.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneticfrog View Post
pretty sure you put a yes.
No ****?
Old 02-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
No ****?
sry sry i read too fast and i thought you said you would enjoy it.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:39 PM
~~Paul
alarid0 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to alarid0 Send a message via MSN to alarid0
You know you've got my vote for a 2x server
I love the look. Plus, imagine if this was made for the iphone... keeping the files that small would cut the size for a portable game nicely!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:04 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
I've thought about this as well, i.e upping the resolution properly. I think it would look good but require a lot of work.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarid0 View Post
You know you've got my vote for a 2x server
I love the look. Plus, imagine if this was made for the iphone... keeping the files that small would cut the size for a portable game nicely!
I beleive its still going to be the same size file. Its only the image itself that would be more pixelated.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Not if you save the images at their original resolution. Then you just have to scale them up 2x and you've probably saved half the space. Also, given that lower resolution typically means better color management, there's some space right there as well. However, space is negligible these days, but still rewarding to have smaller file sizes.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:17 AM
anubis_wing will become famous soon enough
Honestly, it depends on the graphics. The kinda thing Elk posted, yes, that's amazing. But 85% of Graal's Graphics, prolly not.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:54 AM
~~Paul
alarid0 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to alarid0 Send a message via MSN to alarid0
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis_wing View Post
Honestly, it depends on the graphics. The kinda thing Elk posted, yes, that's amazing. But 85% of Graal's Graphics, prolly not.
Did you originally understand this to be "lets take our current graphics, resize them to half their size, and show graal as it is now but pixelated"?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:59 AM
Banned
12171217 has a spectacular aura about
If you're willing to make tons of heads and bodies in this style, that'll work, but you'd have to redo a ridiculous amount of stuff.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12171217 View Post
If you're willing to make tons of heads and bodies in this style, that'll work, but you'd have to redo a ridiculous amount of stuff.
Who says anyone has to redo anything? o.O It can all be new?