Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
We need a new Gscript dictionary. The wiki breaks up GS2 stuff way too much, and there's nothing even included for it in the default level editor. It has GS1 documentation, but not GS2.
I agree, its confusing to a lot of people.

I really don't think that gpackages or the elite scripters providing scripts and documentation will in any way stop new people from learning gscript. Most of todays scripters learned it by tearing apart the work of others and figuring out how it worked anyway.

The major problem with an offline editor using gs2 scripting is the fact you need an npc server for them to actually function and its my understanding that its not really possible offline. The other argument has been to release the source code but since Graal is a gaming platform they sell licensing to thats pretty counterproductive on their part and a bad business decision.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:17 PM
o.o
Switch has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Switch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
The major problem with an offline editor using gs2 scripting is the fact you need an npc server for them to actually function and its my understanding that its not really possible offline. The other argument has been to release the source code but since Graal is a gaming platform they sell licensing to thats pretty counterproductive on their part and a bad business decision.
Distribute the offline editor with an NPC Server, which wouldn't be a good decision for those that can use reverse engineering on it. So maybe allow them to connect to an NPC Server as an option for people with an internet connection, which wouldn't be fully offline but would still work for those without a connection.
Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye?
Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Gambet is on a distinguished road
Gpackages having basic core scripts is completely understandable, I was merely arguing against full systems where no customization would be necessary (with regards to systems that define a server not things like tailors and such).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
Distribute the offline editor with an NPC Server, which wouldn't be a good decision for those that can use reverse engineering on it. So maybe allow them to connect to an NPC Server as an option for people with an internet connection, which wouldn't be fully offline but would still work for those without a connection.
Not necessary now that the Testbed Server is up.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
We also need some more proper demonstrations of how to use SQLite.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
I agree, its confusing to a lot of people.

I really don't think that gpackages or the elite scripters providing scripts and documentation will in any way stop new people from learning gscript. Most of todays scripters learned it by tearing apart the work of others and figuring out how it worked anyway.

Uh, no.

See, it's confusing to new people because they have to learn it solely from others. I would know GS2 by now if I didn't have to learn it purely by word-of-mouth. And also, things can be done to make GS2 more accessible to new players wanting to develop. This doesn't mean releasing source code or servers or anything. It means replacing that crappy .txt file that's in the editor right now with updated information on syntax.

And if you really want to get fancy about it, Gonstruct (in my sig) has a special feature which is to color-code things in GS2 so that it can be read more easily and mistakes can be found.

These are the kinds of solution this team should be working on. Little revisions like that go a long way.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Posting to be a terrible lua fanboy and shower its Reference Manual with praise for being a very awesome, concise and complete(!) resource for learning the lua language that is worth emulating. I would link it but we all know that I am not allowed to have nice things~
Old 08-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
lua is used by world of warcraft if im not wrong

Old 08-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Pelikano can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
lua is used by world of warcraft if im not wrong
Lua is open source.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikano View Post
Lua is open source.
That fact does not change what Elk said, but let's not get off topic.

I'm still waiting on that input from Stefan. And I'd also like to know what Bell has gained so far from this discussion with regards to how this team is going to work.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:23 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
I would be interested if I had time but sadly I don't.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:43 AM
???
Scary_Sock will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
]I'm still waiting on that input from Stefan. And I'd also like to know what Bell has gained so far from this discussion with regards to how this team is going to work.
Same here.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Pelikano can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
That fact does not change what Elk said, but let's not get off topic.

I'm still waiting on that input from Stefan. And I'd also like to know what Bell has gained so far from this discussion with regards to how this team is going to work.
Doesn't change the fact, but it's used in a lot of other games aswell and it can be used in Graal aswell since it's open source.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:46 PM
o.o
Switch has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Switch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambet View Post
Not necessary now that the Testbed Server is up.
New players (Graal####) wanting to learn how to develop before buying a server or subscription can't get an RC on there since you need at least a classic subscription, which is no longer possible, and as Tig said, he doesn't advertise it much so it's possible that they've never heard of it.
Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye?
Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
Update: I have asked Tig to make a special guild and add the members of the PWA to administrate it for now. I'm compiling a list of those people who have expressed interest and through their actions have already proven themselves. I see no need for those people to have to fill out a long application form.

Once a core group is in place we'll formulate an application. I agree that anyone applying should come with recommendations but it will be a way of letting others show their interest. This application shouldn't be long and complicated though.

Vulcan will be working with Darlene to set up a private forum and we'll also get global/staff connection set up again.

We'll also work out any details of all their specific duties. Most of which have already been discussed at length in this thread but I'm sure there will need to be some tweaks done. I believe that we can have a broad idea of them for now and become more detailed if necessary. Since this team is comprised of members of the entire development community its obvious that not everyone would be doing exactly the same thing. Gold will be optional but a plus since its required to get onto UC servers and will limit the number of people that can help in that area. In some cases though the help can be done via pm or uploading an image onto imageshack.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Banned
sid.gottlieb@googlemail.com will become famous soon enough
Hurray!

Tags
global, global development team