Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Ignorance has no future
Unkownsoldier is on a distinguished road
New Windows Client

This needs to be realesed soon, at least as a beta client. I don't care if there are bugs. With the current vista version I have playing Graal is impossible, I can't move, pk, spar, play events, ect. This has gotten really old really fast. So therefore, I really need the client now, otherwise there is no way I can keep playing under the circumstances. It's not very fun when it takes you 45 seconds to move through ONE level. So seriously, lets go.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:21 AM
iZone Administrator
Matt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the rough
That's asking a whole lot.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:27 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
The Windows client is behind in the Mac client... and to be honest why would you worry about Beta? It's beta for a reason. It's to find bugs, and most of the time there are quite a few and some can be annoying enough to not really want to use it. I have the external windows client and I never touch it.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:42 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
You should just dualboot a different OS, like 7, XP, maybe a linux distro?

Disable Aero or something, it's probably your comp's fault, I haven't an issue with Graal on Vista.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:45 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
The new Graal version doesn't fix this issue, atleast not on the beta I was using. I experienced a lot of slowdowns on my midrange laptop, however when I had Vista on my PC it was fine. Windows 7 seems to run it more smoothly though, I'll let the forum know how it goes when I install it on my laptop.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:52 AM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
I do use the external windows on terrain maps like GK though, as there is a significant increase in speed. It's also a bit faster on gmaps and with particles, I think.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:07 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
The Mac version is really close to being done, but Stefan's said that the Windows client is way behind. I have no idea about the Linux client, but I really don't think that one's worth developing, anyway.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
The Mac version is really close to being done, but Stefan's said that the Windows client is way behind. I have no idea about the Linux client, but I really don't think that one's worth developing, anyway.
I think Skyld said the Windows version is somewhat behind, but mainly it's just not being compiled as much as the Mac. So from what I gathered, it's not THAT behind, only in compiling.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:16 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I have no idea about the Linux client, but I really don't think that one's worth developing, anyway.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 09-20-2009, 05:00 AM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Quote:
The Linux client is always at the same level or better than the Mac client. So one could assume that the Linux client is practically done, just like the Mac client.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 09-20-2009, 06:51 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
So one could assume that the Linux client is practically done, just like the Mac client.
Yessssssss
Old 09-20-2009, 08:10 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
Quote:
Linux Cyberjoueurs

Old 09-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
Windows 7 seems to run it more smoothly though, I'll let the forum know how it goes when I install it on my laptop.
I can confirm this. When I had Vista on this laptop, I could barely play Graal. Since I upgraded to Windows 7, I've been able to play without any lag at all on the same laptop.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 09-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Banned
Umat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
The Linux client is always at the same level or better than the Mac client. So one could assume that the Linux client is practically done, just like the Mac client.
This is probably because Stefan use Linux on his computer.

Also, it isn't THAT hard to compile a game for multiple OS'es if you did the code right in the first place. If you can code you can do that with a little to no effort.

I think he's going to wait with windows version bugfixes until he's done with the new additions to the client and fixing the problems for the other OS'es first.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Skyld
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umat View Post
Also, it isn't THAT hard to compile a game for multiple OS'es if you did the code right in the first place. If you can code you can do that with a little to no effort.
Compiling for Mac OS X and Linux is very easy because they are both UNIX-esque operating systems, they can use nearly all the same function calls and libraries (apart from, of course, using X11 on Linux and Cocoa on OS X but that is quite a small portion of code in reality). Windows, on the other hand, is actually nothing like either OS X or Linux, meaning that things have to be done differently (even things like using DirectX by default) and it takes more time to make the same codebase compatible with Windows.

In the Mac client, the main things that need to be done are bug fixes, which Stefan's been working through. After having done that, he will most likely be able to put more time into fixing it up on Windows too.