Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2009, 12:43 AM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
Global Development Team?

The Playerworld Administration has been discussing forming a Global Development team (GDT). We have already received some input from Stefan on it and would like your suggestions/input as well.

There have been requests for individual global teams but these have failed for several reasons, usually due to a lack of time commitment. What we propose is abolishing the Global Scripting Team and forming a single team that covers all phases of development. The PWA and GST were originally formed to help servers make interesting content and become successful but have since become more of a global police department. Our main purpose has evolved into a team that spends its time checking for copyrights infringement, content theft and solving staff problems.

The overall purpose of this team would be to organize the development so that servers help each other instead of fighting, stealing or spending most their development time making commonly used systems on their own.

There are a few things that Stefan believes must be included for this to succeed.

1. The main tasks should be helping with documentation. This would include filling in missing parts in the wiki. Updating things such as the Playerworld Creation and Setup Basics at
http://wiki.graal.net/index.php/Creation. It would also be good if we included tutorials for Gani making. GMAP construction, etc. If Youtube tutorials were made, those could also be linked to the wiki.

2. Making systems of all development platforms that can be used on any server (e.g. the guilds system Tig and cbk1994 made for Zone that would just need to be fixed slightly to make it ready for use on other servers)

The Team itself would not have global rc. They would however be a part of a special guild that would give staff requesting your assistance some assurance they are at least qualified and trustworthy to help them with their needs.

Up for Discussion:

a. This team would act much in the way contract workers would. The members of this team will not be obligated to help everyone with individual developing. I do NOT want this becoming a team of slave labor for every dev server on Graal. The server must first show that they have made an effort to get their own staff but are currently having a problem getting someone to do one specific job. The GDT could either guide them to the proper area of the wiki that may answer their needs or help them with individual problems they are having.

b. While the team would be overseen by the current global staff, an admin would be appointed to help oversee setup, hiring and implementation of the team.

c. We could have an open application process where references are required and checked out. That is not to say though that someone cannot be actively recruited if their skills and reputation warrant it. Due to the nature of it they need to be trusted members of Graal and should understand that if they do decide to go corrupt the consequences will be severe. We'll need to decide what the requirements should be though depending on their major skill since many people have multiple skills that could be useful to the community.

d. We would need to set up the Global/Staff Connection forums again where important links could be stickied in one place. This should make searching for things a little easier than it currently is. All server owners/managers would added to it and they could use it to request specific help. I've already started forming this list but I'm sure some of these links need some updating done on them.

We would appreciate your comments and suggestions regarding this process as there is a strong chance that many of you hear would be actively involved and feel your input would be beneficial.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:52 AM
The Blackswan
pooper200000 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to pooper200000
Sounds interesting.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:54 AM
???
Scary_Sock will become famous soon enough
Sounds like a good idea! It really does.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:57 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Depends on how involved Stefan and/or unixmad want to get. After Stefan's post I don't believe they really want to try to make Graal great anymore. Although it could have good intentions, it seems like a form of cheap labour.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:00 AM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
well first off, this idea if works, could and would help many servers get further in the path to classic. The only thing i have concerned is the staff on this team will be biased in the sense that they will help only their friends servers or help servers that are already doing good. IMO a member of this team should be ASSIGNED to a set of new servers and help them get on the right track and that one member would be an overseer and guide for these servers. I think this would work well as a bond would form between the staff member and the server staff and if the global is actively urging the server to get to classic, then it might get done. (I hope you can understand what im getting at, my thought proccess is going kinda choppy.) I don't think 2 globals should be able to help the same server as they may have different views and then the server will go nowhere.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:12 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
I have to agree with Crono on this being a form of cheap labor.

I don't see many benefits at all since people can/already do many of the things this possible team is aiming for. Especially when not given Global RC.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 08-18-2009, 03:14 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
I can't see this working. As far as helping out others, pointing people toward documentation rarely works, and the fact is that there simply aren't enough developers for all of Graal's servers. The team would end up being a bunch of slaves doing work for playerworld owners who want help.

The only useful purpose I can see the team serving is updating documentation, creating videos, etc, but stuff like scripting documentation is only good for people already acquainted with gscript. Scripting is probably the only development field that you can't just pick up by messing around easily; the level editor and GANI editor make it really simple to play around, but GS2 requires knowledge of a lot of concepts that you can only learn by first learning another language (Java? <3)

I really don't see any benefits to making a global team out of this; if players want to help, they can just get on Testbed and help people, make their own videos, or script things for the Code Gallery like the guild system.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:18 AM
UnKnown Confusion
Vman13x can only hope to improve
I agree with zeus, but I dont think it will work, like vimes said they could just go to testbed, and maybe testbed can be moved to the hosted section, so everyone can see it? As a discription it could say classic enabled, ect, sorry for getting off topic lol.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:19 AM
iZone Administrator
Matt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
After Stefan's post I don't believe they really want to try to make Graal great anymore.
Don't even need to read his post to guess that.

Anyways, this sounds like it could be really good it planned extremely well.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:32 AM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
From my point of view, currenly a Global Development Team would be best to replace GST.

Basically, it would help on anything right ? It could possibly work, but like Chris said it would ruin some of the development process.
When you rent a playerworld, it's actually your job to develop it, so if a team was already ready to dedicate time for it, it would just screw everything up. That team would actually need to be really good I guess ? For most new people renting out a server and having projects, don't you think that it would be kind of "unfair" for new and growing developers?

"Global Documentation Team" would be better I guess. Could just be a "moving" wiki, and people needing help would ask members of that team for their current knowledge.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:36 AM
:o
Mykel has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Mykel Send a message via MSN to Mykel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
Our main purpose has evolved into a team that spends its time checking for copyrights infringement, content theft and solving staff problems.
So, you're going to take some of the best developers? This is a game that is starving for good developers and original content, and your "main purpose" is going to have nothing to do with development?
Old 08-18-2009, 03:37 AM
_Zelph is on a distinguished road
Just keep the GST, even if their role would have to be slightly different than before
Old 08-18-2009, 03:37 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykel View Post
So, you're going to take some of the best developers? This is a game that is starving for good developers and original content, and your "main purpose" is going to have nothing to do with development?
I think Bell means that the Playerworld Administration and Global Scripting Teams have lost their intended purposes and have deteriorated into checking servers for copyright infringing content, cross-server content theft, and solving staff problems.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:48 AM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I think Bell means that the Playerworld Administration and Global Scripting Teams have lost their intended purposes and have deteriorated into checking servers for copyright infringing content, cross-server content theft, and solving staff problems.
I thought she meant that the GST no longer does what it's intended to do, and now just checks for infringements, staff problems, and such.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:50 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajchris View Post
I thought she meant that the GST no longer does what it's intended to do, and now just checks for infringements, staff problems, and such.
Well, the things she outlined are also the main aspects of what the PWA team does. I don't think that the GST is very active these days as it only contains Skyld and he's a very busy guy.

Tags
global, global development team