Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Playerworld Staff Openings
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 07:58 AM
Lv.1 Internet Bully
thesmoothcriminal will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to thesmoothcriminal Send a message via Yahoo to thesmoothcriminal
i like the rocket surgery one
Old 03-06-2009, 08:07 AM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
lulz.

Yeah, the capitalization was intentional to add emphasis. And rocket surgery's a mixed metaphor. But we're getting a bit off topic.

We got thesmoothcriminal fixing up some more tiles, but I dunno if he wants that to be His Job or not...

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233

Last edited by Tyhm; 03-06-2009 at 11:56 AM..
Old 03-06-2009, 04:52 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
maybe you can tie in rocket surgery into your storyline, "rocket surgery gone wrong"

I'll try to keep this on topic. I was thinking last night about potential baddies, and I came up with Super Mutants, and Security Drones:

Basically Super Mutants would be very muscular behemoth sized mutants, twice the size of a regular player (sort of resembling The Hulk). They were created in almost the same fashion as the Security Drones; humans that were genetically modified to serve as a shell for the drones but managed to break free before any of the robotics implants were put in place. Due to blindness (broke out before ocular implants were installed) it will attack a player only if it comes within a certain radius (as it now uses hearing to detect enemies). Once a player has entered this radius it would let out a piercing roar and charge a player in a blind rage, smashing away any obstacle in its path (as in broken cars, fire hydrants, etc). It would have two types of attacks, swinging its arms (left to right, right to left), or pounding the ground (with a stun radius for any unfortunate player who gets too close); all of which would be devastating if hit. It would move slightly faster than a normal player. It would be passive to zombies.

Security Drones would be rogue cyborgs left over from when various private security agencies tried to combat the zombie population. Unlike the Super Mutants, cyborgs went through full robotic integration, but once the drones became self aware, they betrayed their creators and now wander around the wastes, killing whatever they please. The drones would be a bit larger than the Super Mutant, and would have sort of the same frame. Drones would have ballistic plating covering most of their body (really they'd basically be an upgrade of the Super Mutants). Their method of attack would be from a missle launcher/chain gun which is fully integrated into the Drone's left arm, the right arm would be free. If player gets too close it will swing in the left to right fashion, like the mutants. Drones would move slower than the Super Mutants. If possible they will attack both player and zombies (but not Super Mutants). If a player kills one of these, they will find ammo, and possibly gun upgrades.

Last edited by maximus_asinus; 03-06-2009 at 05:54 PM..
Old 03-06-2009, 07:39 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
I was looking over the tileset, I'm just going to make a few suggestions on what you should add (though some of what I suggest could be images instead of actual tiles).

You really have too much brick tiles in my opinion. You have red, gray, blue and brown/beige brick tiles, but in THREE different styles. If you're going for variation why not use steel, vinyl, and wooden house tiles (or is that what the tiles on the right/bottom side of the tileset are supposed to be)? Also I'd like to see foundation tiles for buildings, not going to have very safe buildings if you keep building them ontop of grass. You will also need damaged and weather worn tiles (scorch marks, broken brick, cracked cement, etc). More debris tiles (discarded materials --newspapers, cans, etc--, wooden planks, leaves, blood on pavement, etc). Detail tiles (fire hydrants, storm gutters, manholes, sand on sidewalks, etc).
Old 03-07-2009, 01:59 AM
Psionic Youth
Agreed, and the larger bricks don't even tile right so we can safely get rid of them. By all means, continue with the tileset repair. I'd add to the list snow tiles, stairs at different angles (right now near the top right there are stairs facing south, easy to rotate the image), and yeah everything needs a few Destroyed variations; where the sidewalk cracks, the asphault breaks, bricks crumble, glass shatters. :-D

Oh yeah, and some interior tiles would be nice. I don't think we have any floor tiles; I mean, we can do a lot with the sidewalk concrete (and we have a lot of sidewalk concrete tiles!), but...

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck

Old 03-07-2009, 06:32 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
I was thinking maybe you could change the style of the GUI. It doesn't fit the style of the server at all. How about a Electrocardiogram (I think this is what its called, detects heart beat and whatnot). Would display BPM (beats per minute), etc. When you're walking around you'll have a relatively normal rate, but when baddies are feeding on you, you're BPM will steadily increase until you enter Cardiac arrest (this would be when you die). Maybe have a visual queue on the screen, like hearing your heart beat pick up, and/or blurred vision/redness.

Adding onto that idea would be the ability to take drugs that would control your heart beat. If I'm about to enter Cardiac arrest, I would pop a few pills to calm myself down (this would be similar to me using a medkit when I have low health). Maybe add a few bonuses for having a faster beat and ways to manually increase BPM (taking a shot of adrenaline for instance). Being near death would give you a stronger attack, or increase your speed, because when your life is threatened, you'll fight to live. The downside to this obviously is either ODing (killing yourself) or being eaten with an already increased heart rate.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:52 AM
Psionic Youth
That'd be cool, but like, would it be a helmet HUD?

Old 03-07-2009, 07:05 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhm View Post
That'd be cool, but like, would it be a helmet HUD?
I'm not really up to date on all the happenings on the server, I wouldn't know if a helmet HUD would fit (or if the players can actually wear helmets). I'm just throwing the idea out there because I thought it sounded interesting, and hasn't been done before on Graal.

Also maybe instead of heart beat, you just heard the beeping of the ECG. Or combine both. I don't know.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Psionic Youth
Post-apoc futuristic, so it could be a broken down holo-display, or it could be some sorta high tech tatoo or readout bracer, I dunno. I'm trying to keep with the Run Down future look, not just the Future look.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:05 PM
►Point Man◄
Terazel Tenjin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
maybe you can tie in rocket surgery into your storyline, "rocket surgery gone wrong"

I'll try to keep this on topic. I was thinking last night about potential baddies, and I came up with Super Mutants, and Security Drones:

Basically Super Mutants would be very muscular behemoth sized mutants, twice the size of a regular player (sort of resembling The Hulk). They were created in almost the same fashion as the Security Drones; humans that were genetically modified to serve as a shell for the drones but managed to break free before any of the robotics implants were put in place. Due to blindness (broke out before ocular implants were installed) it will attack a player only if it comes within a certain radius (as it now uses hearing to detect enemies). Once a player has entered this radius it would let out a piercing roar and charge a player in a blind rage, smashing away any obstacle in its path (as in broken cars, fire hydrants, etc). It would have two types of attacks, swinging its arms (left to right, right to left), or pounding the ground (with a stun radius for any unfortunate player who gets too close); all of which would be devastating if hit. It would move slightly faster than a normal player. It would be passive to zombies.

Security Drones would be rogue cyborgs left over from when various private security agencies tried to combat the zombie population. Unlike the Super Mutants, cyborgs went through full robotic integration, but once the drones became self aware, they betrayed their creators and now wander around the wastes, killing whatever they please. The drones would be a bit larger than the Super Mutant, and would have sort of the same frame. Drones would have ballistic plating covering most of their body (really they'd basically be an upgrade of the Super Mutants). Their method of attack would be from a missle launcher/chain gun which is fully integrated into the Drone's left arm, the right arm would be free. If player gets too close it will swing in the left to right fashion, like the mutants. Drones would move slower than the Super Mutants. If possible they will attack both player and zombies (but not Super Mutants). If a player kills one of these, they will find ammo, and possibly gun upgrades.
While I applaud the idea of leftover security units (and essentially haywire rogues that are hostile to ALL, which might be manipulated by smart players to assist them if they are dry on ammo or support...), I think you're diving into like Fallout territory. Maybe have them prioritize on zombies since that's what they were designed to fight. For example, if players encounter them alone on chance encounters, they will attack the player until one of them is daed. If they run into players running away from zombies right on their tail, they focus attack the zombies first.

Quote:
Post-apoc futuristic, so it could be a broken down holo-display, or it could be some sorta high tech tatoo or readout bracer, I dunno. I'm trying to keep with the Run Down future look, not just the Future look.
As far as references (which can easily be Googled), I think it'd be good to have something alone the lines of, say, F.E.A.R. 2's HUD. But I think a higher-tech (ruined future theme) HUD should be from upgrades, and the basic HUD being simple and missing features such as, say, an IFF system (for friendlies, hostiles, and items) and maybe thermal vision (ability to invert white-hot and black-hot would be cool just like the real military-grade ones, NVGs are so last decade ).

Also, Tyhm, didn't really get to discuss this with you, but what kind of health system are we looking at (auto-regen to a certain level after massive damage or per medkits)? I know the semi-auto regen can potentially ruin the whole post apocalyptic zombie horror feel, but it might have a good relief buffer for potential player logistic/economy nightmare during SD week.

Fearless Leader of the Squirtle Squad Initiative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
Once again I flipflopped
Old 03-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Psionic Youth
Meh, it's your pretty standard /100hp system. If you get killed, whatever, bring out another clone. A high body count means more zombies.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:23 PM
►Point Man◄
Terazel Tenjin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Meh, it's your pretty standard /100hp system. If you get killed, whatever, bring out another clone. A high body count means more zombies.
Right, gotcha. Forgot about the logistics on the zombie side...

Fearless Leader of the Squirtle Squad Initiative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
Once again I flipflopped
Old 03-07-2009, 06:03 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terazel Tenjin View Post
Also, Tyhm, didn't really get to discuss this with you, but what kind of health system are we looking at (auto-regen to a certain level after massive damage or per medkits)? I know the semi-auto regen can potentially ruin the whole post apocalyptic zombie horror feel, but it might have a good relief buffer for potential player logistic/economy nightmare during SD week.
That would fit perfectly with what I suggested then. After a fight your heart rate would slowly go back to a normal rhythm, same thing for after effects of taking a shot of adrenaline (maybe it would drop slightly below normal for a little while, which would give you some negative effects).

Normal BPM when you're exploring. Increased BPM when you encounter an enemy. Higher BPM when you're being attacked (and increasing when you're getting hit). You enter Cardiac arrest and die, or you win the fight, your BPM will slowly decrease. If you took adrenaline at any point your BPM would rise for the few perks, but after the effect wore off, it would begin to decline to under the regular BPM which would have negative effects. Taking too much adrenaline would cause heart failure. Taking pills would slow your heart rate, but taking too much would slow it down too to the point where your heart stopped beating altogether. Maybe what you inject in your body would have an 'effect time' so if you're in a fight, and you take a few pills to slow down your BPM and you win the fight, the pills in your system will still effect you (assisting on bringing down your heart rate, but if you took too much, it would slow it down to a dangerous level).

I like a system like this over an HP system where you can simply use a few medpaks and be fully healed because those systems don't really make sense.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:09 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terazel Tenjin View Post
While I applaud the idea of leftover security units (and essentially haywire rogues that are hostile to ALL, which might be manipulated by smart players to assist them if they are dry on ammo or support...), I think you're diving into like Fallout territory. Maybe have them prioritize on zombies since that's what they were designed to fight. For example, if players encounter them alone on chance encounters, they will attack the player until one of them is daed. If they run into players running away from zombies right on their tail, they focus attack the zombies first.
Yeah, Fallout sort of influenced where I was going with this one.

I think what you're suggesting is great though, drone's main function should be to seek out zombies, taking priority over people. If there is no zombies around the drone, it would lock onto the players and would pursue them until eliminated. If there are zombies around, it'll attack them, BUT if a person intervenes it'll switch and target the humans.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Zvarri!
TESTRETIS has a spectacular aura about
I'd apply for Levels and NAT, but I don't have a Gold/Developer account ;[