Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Bomy Island Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2017, 01:41 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Weather System

Have you guys considered expanding the weather system so it impacts farming? Sun would allow the plants to grow much faster but would require more water per stage and need to be water more frequently. Rain would slow growth but would require less water over time and would be easier to manage.

Also could you demo the weather effects that currently exist? I logged on to a terrible looking overcast / cloud effect. I'd like to see all the different weather stages as I have suggestions on what I'd like to see changed in that regard as well.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:06 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
also implement farmer's insurance for weather damaged crops
Old 05-22-2017, 08:04 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
Have you guys considered expanding the weather system so it impacts farming? Sun would allow the plants to grow much faster but would require more water per stage and need to be water more frequently. Rain would slow growth but would require less water over time and would be easier to manage.

Also could you demo the weather effects that currently exist? I logged on to a terrible looking overcast / cloud effect. I'd like to see all the different weather stages as I have suggestions on what I'd like to see changed in that regard as well.
Yeah, the current weather you see is a test that Sage Shadowbane implemented a few weeks back. Not sure if we'll be using it or not, but it's decent. It's a modified version on the original weather system Konidias made that had been adapted to Atlantis I believe, but we re-adapted it to Bomy Island. It's not bad but like I said just a test at the moment.

It's possible I will just use the original weather/calendar system Konidias made. I'll have to do some testing. Since I'm doing this stuff by myself at the moment and it might be script heavy it may take some time.

To answer your question, yes I plan to make it so you don't have to water your plants while it's raining to make farming funner and more emergent.

Right now if you idle for a while you will see different weather conditions but yeah I plan to expand it so it snows on Mt Antora and so that there are also windy conditions sometimes which blow leaves from the trees/make grass sway in tandem, etc. Currently there is a glitch where it sometimes does not check to stop rain when you enter an inside level. The glitch only occurs half of the time which makes it hard for me to figure out what's causing it. So just warning you there, everything you see is beta.

At the moment I'm working on some really neat stuff, and I have gotten a LOT of stuff done in the past week. I just finished the new hat inventory and I also just finished updating the bakery job. Getting really close to being able to release the update where everyone will be able to use the new body style. As of now I have finished adapting ALL of the old jobs to the new style. I just need to make a few ganis, finish bug catching (just need to add more insect types), make some new clothing shops for the new system, adapt the market to use all the new inventory items, check all the events to see if ganis need made, and make a barber shop for hairstyle selection. Sounds like a lot but the list of things I already finished for this is massive.

Last edited by Kamaeru; 05-22-2017 at 08:42 PM..
Old 05-22-2017, 10:40 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
I actually went ahead and fixed the glitch that causes it to rain inside sometimes today, wasn't too difficult to fix.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:34 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
*does a rain dance*
Old 05-28-2017, 12:00 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
I think you should do away with the clouds. I don't think it can be done without looking horrible. It is possible something similar could be used to represent fog though.

I'd probably stick to adjusting the level's hue and luminosity in indicate weather. For example on a scorching day there would be a slight yellow/orange hue to represent the intense heat. And when it transitions into rain, a blueish hue would be applied along with a gradual dimming (and flashes of lightning done with a yellow/white hue with increased opacity).

I do like the idea of a calendar. Will weather be determined by month / season?
Old 05-28-2017, 09:11 AM
G2k1
Right now I am working on a list of about 11 items that need worked on before I can allow players to use the new character appearance system. This includes making a barber shop, a few clothes and hat shops, finishing the clothing inventory/select menu, and other than that it's mostly making animations for small details like the Bamboo Rod, Metris, opening the map while sitting, carrying bombs, making sure the market works properly, riding horses, and adding more bugs to the bug catching job.

After that maybe I will have weather as a priority, but right now I am working on this particular project to update the server and make it considerably more enjoyable for players. From that base I will be able to work on updating everything to make it much nicer.

The calendar system that Konidias made operates on seasons which were always a part of Graal2001 actually, it just accesses the server variable and lays out all the days on a visual GUI calendar. It's pretty nice, and could help to organize the game sort of like Animal Crossing with real time events that occur and can be marked on the calendar perhaps. Just an idea.