Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 06:23 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Administrative Affairs

So what's currently going on with Linux Cyberjoueurs at the moment? It's been pretty hushed so far, but pretty much everyone is well aware by now that Stefan is no longer with us. So that leaves me curious, where are things headed now?

This isn't a thread for discussing drama or anything like that, but I'm sure a good number of players would like to know more about the current situation going on with the actual company itself.

A lot of users could certainly use some support, and the game client itself could use more updates. So will be be seeing another lead programmer or two soon? I've heard rumors about two new people being hired to take on that task, but no official word on any of that yet.

It would be really nice to see the company actually grow and additional improvements made to the game, but without solid support that probably won't happen. So I figured that, on the behalf of the community, I'd go ahead and ask in this section.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:10 AM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
I dont know too much about what is going on "inside", but I do know that Unix is working very hard to get things back on track.
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Old 07-16-2015, 12:01 AM
Banned
-Ching is a glorious beacon of light-Ching is a glorious beacon of light-Ching is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to -Ching
Will Uncle Stefan ever return to us?

IDK what happened between Unix and Stefan the Great, but they need to get back together again. Stefan is Graal.

Last edited by Darlene159; 07-23-2015 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: No need for insults
Old 07-16-2015, 12:36 AM
iZone Administrator
Matt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene159 View Post
I dont know too much about what is going on "inside", but I do know that Unix is working very hard to get things back on track.
I agree also. A very big change in quite a few things and to be honest, i see a bright future for the game especially with the Administrative changes we've seen the past year. I do however, wish the PC platform had equal attention. It has it's own broad, unique fan base that iOS servers don't.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:10 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
PC Servers are where most of the content for Graal is first created, and the community can only do so much without updates to the actual client and server programs themselves. Some things can be scripted to work within the game, but others require updates and it's not exactly great if the flow of updates has halted.

I brought this up mostly out of concern, and it would be really nice to hear from Unixmad on the subject if possible. Like I've heard of 'Xor' in some conversations who seems to be a higher-up that I've never even heard of, and same basically goes for Rob, our most recently announced PWA.

But staff lists on the forums and wiki probably need to be updated to reflect that, so that developers know who to get in contact with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ching
Will Uncle Stefan ever return to us?

IDK what happened between Unix and Stefan the Great, but they need to get back together again. Stefan is Graal. Unix just pretends he cant speak English
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
I agree also.
Not that it needs to be discussed much further, but Stefan had a bad habit of jumping from one project to the next without going back to make sure any of his old projects were still doing okay, which is a primary factor that has led to lots of people quitting over time.

Just consider some of the projects he was heavily involved in:

Graal Classic (Java)
Graal Classic (Client)
Graal 2001
Graal Kingdoms
Graal Zone
Graal 3D
Graal Games
Graal Mobile
Graal Facebook
Graal (Gameboy Color)

It was a new project every year or two, and a lot of them hardly received the attention they probably deserved. So new blood in Linux Cyberjoueurs might not be a bad thing if we can get help from some really experienced people who will actually interact well with the community and help out when there's major trouble on servers that are well-established.

Last edited by Draenin; 07-16-2015 at 01:26 AM..
Old 07-16-2015, 01:16 AM
Banned
-Ching is a glorious beacon of light-Ching is a glorious beacon of light-Ching is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to -Ching
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
Not that it needs to be discussed much further, but Stefan had a bad habit of jumping from one project to the next without ...
Aye, and thankgod Graal 3D never got finished.. no idea what he was thinking with that one. But still..even if he did jump from one thing to another, its more than ive noticed anyone else in charge of this game doing.

Things look really stale at the moment, would be nice to hear whats planned or whats going on, even if my days on this game are nearly over.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:29 AM
Magnificent Bastard
The game can still run fine as long as players and developers are doing stuff, but there's other issues in play as well, like the fact that Graal for PC is not advertised nearly as well as it is for Mobile.

Increasing exposure to the public in order to get more users is tough, but we could probably discuss that sometime in the future in another thread.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:48 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
Graal 3D = cool if it actually looked nice and worked properly

Old 07-16-2015, 01:15 PM
Era iPhone PRA
Anero is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd love to see unixmad upgrading the Era iPhone iOS server.
We're at a playercount of roughly 3300 players right now and a lot of players are experiencing lag spikes.
Era has a lot of potentional, I don't think that should be thrown away.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:53 PM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Skyld
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Graal 3D = cool if it actually looked nice and worked properly
The Graal3D Winter Preview server was definitely a step in the right direction. It was nicely styled and for the most part stable too. I think that the engine has probably been modified quite a bit since then though.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:34 PM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyld View Post
It was nicely styled
Was something wrong with the character models on my end?
Old 07-16-2015, 05:32 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I agree also. A very big change in quite a few things and to be honest, i see a bright future for the game especially with the Administrative changes we've seen the past year. I do however, wish the PC platform had equal attention. It has it's own broad, unique fan base that iOS servers don't.
PC Wont get the same attention iServers get mainly because the player staff won't give it such attention. Why should graal administration work so hard to do things that the players themselves won't support? Everyone sees mobile servers can take the same quality content, and get more players with it. No one wants to dev for pc anymore even. The sad thing is theres another solution, like improve the quality instead of just adding more of the same quality. And I'm not saying there ignoring PC completely. Because there not.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:03 PM
iZone Administrator
Matt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
I brought this up mostly out of concern, and it would be really nice to hear from Unixmad on the subject if possible. Like I've heard of 'Xor' in some conversations who seems to be a higher-up that I've never even heard of, and same basically goes for Rob, our most recently announced PWA.

But staff lists on the forums and wiki probably need to be updated to reflect that, so that developers know who to get in contact with.

Not that it needs to be discussed much further, but Stefan had a bad habit of jumping from one project to the next without going back to make sure any of his old projects were still doing okay, which is a primary factor that has led to lots of people quitting over time.

Xor has been around for a couple of year and does a good job imo. Reminds me of MagicalTux.

As far as the staff list(s) displayed, it appears there actually up-to-date which is good. I may be wrong.

Stefan was great but i do agree he jumped from one things to another, and i bet for Managers of the Servers, that was pretty annoying. It'd most likely be beneficial if he returned, but unix should keep doing what he's doing now if that was ever the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptless View Post
PC Wont get the same attention iServers get mainly because the player staff won't give it such attention. Why should graal administration work so hard to do things that the players themselves won't support? Everyone sees mobile servers can take the same quality content, and get more players with it. No one wants to dev for pc anymore even. The sad thing is theres another solution, like improve the quality instead of just adding more of the same quality. And I'm not saying there ignoring PC completely. Because there not.
I agree to a certain extent. Everyone has mobile devices, it's just new the new age were in. A majority of the people that have a mobile device more than likely have a computer also. I think PC development should keep going, it just needs a drastic change, somewhere..

Last edited by Matt; 07-16-2015 at 09:43 PM..
Old 07-16-2015, 08:20 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Graal should be HTML5 capable.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:34 AM
Magnificent Bastard
If Graal is still doing okay financially, (which it seems to be) I would really like to see some different programmers stepping in to continue driving the game forward.

People give this game crap all the time because it's mostly player-run, but that is always a double-edged sword because the game is only as good as we are at working on it. Every once in a while, we need support from programmers with access to the source code or the game's technology will remain where it is.

I've played this game for well over a decade by this point, and one of the things that has always brought me back is that it's essentially a 'Sandbox MMO' that quickly provides players with access to tools we can use to build online games quickly. But sometimes the updates we need have to come down from on high.

We could really use a hand or two at the wheel right now, just to make sure this game keeps going well in the foreseeable future.
Closed Thread