Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 02:54 AM
Corpse
Damien is an unknown quantity at this point
Community Names/Account Names OFFICIAL Ideas thread

Instead of everyone makeing multiple threads for all their ideas, i decided to post a thread where everyone can post theirs.

My Idea:
We make a limit of 3 Account names per IP Adress. If you upgrade the account to gold, you get another. So you can only have 3 trial accounts at once. And after an x amount of time being inactive, you can delete the accounts.

Oh and you should be able to have the option of reseting the account globally (for a fee) and for an x amount of gelats you can reset them on ceartin servers (Zone for example)

Past Ideas (Last 100 Days)
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=86734
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=86946

Post away!

Last edited by Damien; 08-04-2009 at 03:04 AM..
Old 08-04-2009, 03:00 AM
???
Scary_Sock will become famous soon enough
Good idea actually.....Meh, but its not a major change.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:02 AM
Corpse
Damien is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary_Sock View Post
Good idea actually.....Meh, but its not a major change.
It would be to me. I've had 3 friends try this game like it then not bother paying for it because they thought that Graal### was dumb. I requested my buddies account name and now they cant make the name anymore through the website.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:42 PM
cyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
We make a limit of 3 Account names per IP Adress.
How would limiting account names to IP Addresses help? Also people don't always use the same IP Address because they might travel.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Treat community names like accounts used to be. Have a player create a community name on account creation. Don't let them change this(however, if, by a rarity this must be done, it will be easier!) and somehow incorporate them in such a seamless way that NO ONE, not scripters, not players, not admins, will ever be able to tell the difference between community names and account names.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:03 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Treat community names like accounts used to be. Have a player create a community name on account creation. Don't let them change this(however, if, by a rarity this must be done, it will be easier!) and somehow incorporate them in such a seamless way that NO ONE, not scripters, not players, not admins, will ever be able to tell the difference between community names and account names.
This is the best and most reasonable idea I've seen in all of these annoying community name-bashing threads. It allows scripters and players to enjoy the ease of dealing with single identifiers and it allows whatever reasons Unixmad and/or Stefan implemented Graal# accounts in the first place.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:35 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Well we kind of need to know about the two if they're going to exist.

I.e: Systems that save stats and such depending on account name.

If it gets changed they lose their progress.

I still believe it's a choice of, go back to the old account system or keep this one.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:43 PM
hi
Jcs1919 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Jcs1919
Rechange it, i suck with my graal acct
Old 08-04-2009, 07:56 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
Not if community names are seamlessly implemented. Account changes are rare, anyways. They really aren't even needed. I hate my account name, but I'm not going to beg for it to be changed. People know me as "Dylan", anyways.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:

I.e: Systems that save stats and such depending on account name.

If it gets changed they lose their progress.

I still believe it's a choice of, go back to the old account system or keep this one.
Could perhaps trigger a function when the player logs on and they have a new community name, allowing them to adjust scripts accordingly... however with my idea in mind players should hardly ever be able to change their community names, just like they didn't allow them to change their account names. But if something happens and they need to, it will be much easier and won't break the player completely.

I'm sure if they really tried hard, they could implement community names in a way that will make them seem just like old account names did.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:15 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
Not if community names are seamlessly implemented.
Community names will never be as seamless as normal account names, for as long as they can be changed, and that's the whole point of the system.

Which is being able to change your "variable account name" so you can have a * in front of your nickname, so you can't plan systems based on community names always being the same.

If they change the system so that they can't be changed, then they might as well admit defeat and go back to the normal account creation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Could perhaps trigger a function when the player logs on and they have a new community name, allowing them to adjust scripts accordingly... however with my idea in mind players should hardly ever be able to change their community names, just like they didn't allow them to change their account names. But if something happens and they need to, it will be much easier and won't break the player completely.

I'm sure if they really tried hard, they could implement community names in a way that will make them seem just like old account names did.
Yeah but I doubt they're going to try real hard to make it work for us.

Also it's just easier to plan your systems to use player.account, then having to write something to make it feel seamless, not to mention player.communityname looks ridiculous compared to using player.account in scripts.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:42 PM
master of infinite loops
Quote:
Community names will never be as seamless as normal account names, for as long as they can be changed, and that's the whole point of the system.
I thought the point of system, on the user-side at least, was to play the game then pick out an 'account name'. Not to have some kind of flavor-of-the-week nickname service. Through all of these threads, I'm 85% sure that I've seen admins say that changing your community name isn't a common service.

Account name have always been able to be changed. It's only a matter of frequency and ease. If it happens often, then either scripters are screwed or users are screwed. But, as far as I know, it doesn't happen often and it could be fairly easy to seamlessly integrate community names. For instance, there are plenty of online utilities that assign user IDs for use with maintenance tools or background tools, but display usernames for all human-powered functions. The same principal can easily apply here. To see an example, just open up the source code of any popular web application, e.g. phpBB.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:48 PM
team canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
Account name have always been able to be changed. It's only a matter of frequency and ease. If it happens often, then either scripters are screwed or users are screwed. But, as far as I know, it doesn't happen often and it could be fairly easy to seamlessly integrate community names. For instance, there are plenty of online utilities that assign user IDs for use with maintenance tools or background tools, but display usernames for all human-powered functions. The same principal can easily apply here. To see an example, just open up the source code of any popular web application, e.g. phpBB.
Okay but we pretty much have that now except..

- player.account is the user id.
- player.communityname is the name displayed.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:00 PM
master of infinite loops
Quote:
Okay but we pretty much have that now except..

- player.account is the user id.
- player.communityname is the name displayed.
Yes, but because the burden rests on us to differentiate the two, it's not seamless. For it to be seamless, we should never be seeing the userid. It can still exist, for functional reasons, whatever those may be. But on our end, we should only be dealing with the username. If the username changes, so be it. We don't need to bend over backwards so that a fickle user can keep his or her server data every time they get bored with their username.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:53 PM
molemen unite
RockPlant is an unknown quantity at this point
change it back to the old why
I'd buy more acct + gold

THATS MORE MONEY 4 YOU