Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2010, 02:27 AM
*Shadow (Convoy)
Crono1508 will become famous soon enough
Inside: Need Advice

Most of the tiles for this level is pretty much set, just lacking lighting effects and NPCs to add-on for this level.

Original:

Update #1:

Comments, advice?

Last edited by Crono1508; 08-20-2010 at 08:04 AM..
Old 08-20-2010, 04:12 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
i see they brought back the hedge on wall style from like 2004. ;p...
Old 08-20-2010, 04:56 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
I'm not a fan of the use of those same two "trees" over and over.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:06 AM
Sinkler is a jewel in the roughSinkler is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Sinkler
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
I'm not a fan of the use of those same two "trees" over and over.
I have to agree. Something artistically doesn't appease me by looking at that.

If you need to get in contact with me, please send an e-mail to: [email protected]

"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that."

-John Stuart Mill
Old 08-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Rjax Shizibz
Dnegel will become famous soon enough
Omg, I love it!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Vima is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks good!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:16 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Looks good except for the part where it makes no sense, you'll probably want to widen that narrow doorway where you have the treehouse stairs so players can navigate through it properly.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:16 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Make walls that make sense.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:23 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Personally I'd like to see different images in here as well, You could do better since what you can add is only limited by your imagination, Also I hope structure of the room (walls n things) are revised a bit. Otherwise looks alright.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:10 PM
MrDunne is on a distinguished road
It looks illogical, really. I mean you can say "It's a game" or "It's graal style" but in my opinion, the whole terrain looks pretty stupid. For reference, you could look at the levels on Link to the Past. They're simple but effective and don't have grass on one floor and snow on the other.

The Graal engine allows you to do stuff that wasn't usually possible on old game systems but it doesn't mean you should really try and make things that look crazy. I think level design is a lot more than just making stuff that looks pretty; it needs to have function and purpose and it needs to represent a real world in the best way you can with what you've got. I don't mean super realistic but more often than not it goes a long way to add a bit of logic in the mix.

I'll PM you across a link to a site that has full game map images from old SNES RPGs, which should give you a lot of references to work from.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Jazz teh Awesome
oo_jazz_oo is a jewel in the roughoo_jazz_oo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to oo_jazz_oo
When you started with "It looks illogical" I was prepared to read a rant about the positioning of the walls.

But to bring up an argument about grass on one level and snow on the other? I think it looks neat, tbh. Of course its not logical, you wouldnt see grass and snow inside.

Oh, and "It's a game". Because, it is. If you want to make levels that are illogical, but look pretty, your free to do so.
Every Graal server is like this in some way. You can't really go for realism in Graal. You can try, but only to a certain extent.

I think the levels looks good tho. Like other people said, seeing those 'tree' images over and over doesn't look all that great, but other than that, it looks nice.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:16 AM
ω
Seeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Seeya
Quote:
Originally Posted by oo_jazz_oo View Post
Oh, and "It's a game". Because, it is. If you want to make levels that are illogical, but look pretty, your free to do so.
you're*

Old 08-22-2010, 12:22 AM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Great improvement from the blank to the complete, but the outline does look a little odd and you should try to fix the perspective. Obviously the snow area is higher than the grass (there's stairs going up right?) so the wall shouldn't be the same height as the bottom level unless you make the outline walls the same height. *nit pick blah*

Looks like a generic, random, no real purpose, Classic Graal Level to me.

Does anyone else notice the snowman image that doesn't at all match the ground snow or look like his character? Random.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaman771 View Post
Does anyone else notice the snowman image that doesn't at all match the ground snow or look like his character? Random.
Actually it fits just fine, there are a lot worse ways to go at it. If it completely had to match he could have just made a transparent outline and slapt it in and made it block. That would look horrible.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:39 AM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulg0reSama View Post
Actually it fits just fine
On my new monitor the snowman looks completely white with blue shading, while the snow looks bone white (a shade darker) with cyan/turquoise blotching. Might just be me though, I wanted to point it out cause I saw it like "wtfisthat?".

lolsnowman.