Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 02:26 AM
knightfire35 is on a distinguished road
Linux 32 bit possible anymore?

I fixed an old computer for my friend the other day, and installed a fresh copy of Debian Linux. He does play Graal, however I can't seem to get Graal to run. I'm assuming that a 32 bit client does not exist anymore. Is there any workaround to fix this? I have heard this question asked a few times also in game, so I'm guessing others are having the same problem.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:25 AM
cyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightfire35 View Post
I fixed an old computer for my friend the other day, and installed a fresh copy of Debian Linux. He does play Graal, however I can't seem to get Graal to run. I'm assuming that a 32 bit client does not exist anymore. Is there any workaround to fix this? I have heard this question asked a few times also in game, so I'm guessing others are having the same problem.

Thanks in advance.
Stefan discontinued support for the 32-bit client on Linux and the latest client with 32-bit support (version 6.011) will not connect to the Graal servers because it is an older version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Ah and you run Graal on it? It's 5-6 years since the last 32 bit Intel/AMD CPUs were produced

Well anyway:
A new version for Linux (64 bit) has been uploaded: v6.037
It brings a lot of new stuff since the last v6 release and of course plenty of new things compared to v5. Download it as usual from the website although the download from login server should work if you have installed it as user:

http://www.graalonline.com/downloads/Graal6_linux64.zip

This new version is not scanning the current folder anymore, so it should be much easier to just put it anywhere and then run it. Unzip the file, make it executable, then run it:

unzip Graal6_linux64.zip
chmod 775 Graal
./Graal

All files will be download and saved to ~/.graal/graal4 in case you want to clear them or need to find the screenshots or recorded videos. The new version is using "SDL mixer" for playing sounds and music. Depending on the hardware and drivers this should work pretty well, but if there are problems then just disable sounds or music in the options on the login server.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
It's pretty hard to find still a distribution which is really supporting 32 bit x-x Getting it to correctly link to OpenGL and make it working for Nvidia & co is a pain.
Maybe a solution can be using the Flash version on Facebook?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:05 PM
AGT
dylan has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
It's pretty hard to find still a distribution which is really supporting 32 bit x-x Getting it to correctly link to OpenGL and make it working for Nvidia & co is a pain.
Maybe a solution can be using the Flash version on Facebook?
Mint, Ubuntu, etc all support 32bit with their latest versions.

Using Flash rather than native can be quite troublesome on older computers as it seems to have higher CPU usage and whatnot.

Graal is relatively easy on resources when in native environment, but when thrown into flash it can become quite a disturbance.

<@Logan> I spent a minute looking at my own code by accident.
<@Logan> I was thinking "What the hell is this guy doing?"
Old 07-25-2013, 11:34 PM
cyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan View Post
Mint, Ubuntu, etc all support 32bit with their latest versions.

Using Flash rather than native can be quite troublesome on older computers as it seems to have higher CPU usage and whatnot.

Graal is relatively easy on resources when in native environment, but when thrown into flash it can become quite a disturbance.
Stefan does have a point though, hardly anyone uses a 32-bit processor, hell, even my old computer which is the best part of 8 years old has an Intel Pentium 4 516 and supports 64-bit.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:34 AM
AGT
dylan has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan3 View Post
Stefan does have a point though, hardly anyone uses a 32-bit processor, hell, even my old computer which is the best part of 8 years old has an Intel Pentium 4 516 and supports 64-bit.
I never denied he had a point, I'm just saying the distros still support x86 & i386 and some people are forced to use them due to limitations with their hardware. For example, on one of my machines I have an Intel PD that supports x86_64, yet I don't run 64-bit on it because its RAM is rather low.

<@Logan> I spent a minute looking at my own code by accident.
<@Logan> I was thinking "What the hell is this guy doing?"
Old 07-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan View Post
I never denied he had a point, I'm just saying the distros still support x86 & i386 and some people are forced to use them due to limitations with their hardware. For example, on one of my machines I have an Intel PD that supports x86_64, yet I don't run 64-bit on it because its RAM is rather low.
Fair point.