Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Stay Frosty
WillaWonka will become famous soon enough
Just a quick intuitive thought:

I would really enjoy dynamic weather and day/night effects.

The addition of foggy mornings, rainy days and windy nights, or what have you, could really add to new strategic performances of such.

Being sad, foggy morning, it's slightly harder to see while pking, you can still see the bullets but takes more focus, tests players on how there focus are. Rain can challenge the player in both focus and agility, that the water makes for slippery surfaces, goes well with each car's friction as well as many other items being able to equip to counter such loses. Wind to push bullet off to the side or in different directions as normal, so a Neo would have less accuracy and a S6 would be much harder to lose, or accordingly to the wind directions, bullets go faster when shooting towards the wind, or slower when shooting against the wind, new dynamics.

Many other weather according to the seasons in real life. Natural disasters, such as tornados that do 200dmg when directly hit, hurricanes that combine with windy, foggy and rainy components together. Blizzards during the winter, and such.

These are just a few thoughts that sprung in my head when I realized I've been on this server virtually 24/7 and the only thing I see everyday is a sunny mild weather during the non-winter seasons, and plain old snow and ice during winter. This can vastly expand era's room for improvements, and new ways to PK as such.

Thought these ideas were good as such, comments and suggestions welcome, I don't expect the staff team to do such, because we all know they don't possess such skills to this date, unless they feel they can prove otherwise.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Lol.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Butterscotch Pudding
shrimps is a splendid one to beholdshrimps is a splendid one to beholdshrimps is a splendid one to beholdshrimps is a splendid one to behold
lagmachine.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:34 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillaWonka View Post
Thought these ideas were good as such, comments and suggestions welcome, I don't expect the staff team to do such, because we all know they don't possess such skills to this date, unless they feel they can prove otherwise.
HA, players already have a hard time "wanting" to PK as it is, this would completely ruin anyones motivation to PK.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:39 PM
|Mêrçy|
LordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to all
Yea, I wouldn't like this idea implemented.

I always disliked the weather effects on servers. It's laggy as fk and no one wants to PK in the dark
Old 08-07-2012, 10:27 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Bad idea. I'm yet to see a weather/daynight system on Graal that isn't universally hated (and disabled). Rufus made a post a while back outlining some of the reasons weather doesn't work on Graal.

Last edited by cbk1994; 08-08-2012 at 12:34 AM.. Reason: rufus not dusty
Old 08-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Alfonso :3
Dragon551 is a splendid one to beholdDragon551 is a splendid one to beholdDragon551 is a splendid one to beholdDragon551 is a splendid one to beholdDragon551 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Dragon551 Send a message via MSN to Dragon551
Hurricane Vimes

---------------------
---------------------
#AGT
Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
Bad idea. I'm yet to see a weather/daynight system on Graal that isn't universally hated (and disabled). Dusty made a post a while back outlining some of the reasons weather doesn't work on Graal.
What's your opinion on the Atlantis one?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:29 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
I've only seen the 30-second clip you posted, but the same thing I said when you first posted it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
wow
Here's the video for anybody who hasn't seen it (all credit to Crow of course):

I'd probably disable it on Era, but it would be very neat on any kind of roleplaying server.

Here's the post I was referencing (actually by Rufus, not Dusty). I should have made a distinction between weather and day/night systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
A lot of you seem to be highlighting that day/night systems are usually disabled, and they are. I don't believe that it is because of the concept itself, rather because effects wise they are done in a pretty bad way. I don't think I've yet to see a day/night cycle that didn't just slap on a dark overlay, and simply making the players' screens darker is obtrusive. Here is an example of what we've been kind of limited to on Graal servers as far as "night" goes, and beside it what I feel is a much more classier and less obtrusive effect:

Yeah I don't script so I don't know how possible transitioning something like this would be, and obviously I wouldn't want it to change that fast, but I think it comes across way better; actually making the tiles look like they're in a night setting. If I couldn't achieve something like this then I'd rather not have a day/night cycle because I have yet to see an overlay effect that looked aesthetically good.

Day/Night cycles can have many perks to them, but overall I think they really assist in the immersion and pacing of a server and its gameplay. I have played Animal Crossing and fished in the morning, then fished at night, and knowing that there are going to be different types at different times is exciting. It doesn't throw everything at you at once, and this is what a lot of the servers do already, especially those with quests; everything is open field, you rarely have to do something else to gain entry to other branches of quests, and therefore there really isn't any kind of pacing. Pacing is important because it helps you bring out hours of gameplay, and contrary to what I think people are going to say, doesn't always mean stretching things out so it's slow as hell. If I know a graveyard lights up at night and I'd be able to quest in it, I'd have an opportunity open to me at a specific time, rather than just going there and doing it when I like. For things like Era, it would allow you to pace your economy, and imagine what kind of people come out at night in a real world setting . The opportunities are pretty big, but nobody has really used them.

I'm not sure about a 24 hour cycle, because like others have expressed concerns about, I wouldn't like to log on and play entirely in night and have to wait up for hours to get into a decent setting. Depending on play time, people could only come on for a couple of hours each day, and to be playing at night every time you log on might come across as unwelcoming. I like your idea about a 3 day cycle per real day Spark, but that might be too many days? I don't know, but another concern I have is not being able to keep track of days through a calendar because of this through having 2x the amount of days. I think that might be the most suitable however.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:37 AM
|Mêrçy|
LordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Atlantis had the best weather system that I've seen to date, but I still dislike the concept of them.

Like Chris said it would prob be best served on a role playing server. I personally always disable those sort of effects, and everyone I know does the same.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:55 AM
Me.
RegretZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimps View Post
lagmachine.
This.
Also the fact that nobody knows if Graal really has a sky.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:15 AM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegretZ View Post
Also the fact that nobody knows if Graal really has a sky.
I would even go as far to say that most players of Graal haven't even seen the sky outside of their basement.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Me.
RegretZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Rocks View Post
I would even go as far to say that most players of Graal haven't even seen the sky outside of their basement.
...It's orange, right?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Stay Frosty
WillaWonka will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegretZ View Post
...It's orange, right?
Sometimes
Old 08-13-2012, 01:46 AM
Era since 2005
bloodykiller is infamous around these partsbloodykiller is infamous around these parts
dumbest idea ever, u can't even see bullets coming at you when it's dark lol
Closed Thread