Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 11:40 AM
U.S. Marine Veteran
Zerith will become famous soon enough
Z

Just trying to improve myself and trying to break fundamental bad habits. I'm a Jarhead, so I'm going to need to be held by the hand in order to learn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zerithdragon.png
Views:	610
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	55062  

Last edited by Zerith; 09-11-2012 at 03:10 PM..
Old 09-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Kingdoms Management
NicoX will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to NicoX Send a message via MSN to NicoX
That looks pretty neat. Good job.

-Nico
(GK Management)

Clash: Nico, I'm going to give you an example of good management.
Clash: One of my staff removed my RC and banned me.
Clash: I didn't ban or remove their RC after I got another one to fix me.
Clash: Do you know why?
Björn: Because you IP banned him ?

Stefan logged on.
(npcserver) has reset the attributes of Stefan
*Stefan: ah my client crashed

Old 09-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Oh no I didn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty @ Graalians
Well like I said it's not quite text-book pillowshading(though some of it is) but just a lot of banding. I'm not very familiar with banding but I can tell that something is off and I'm gonna chalk it up to that. Banding is very similar to pillowshading in that you let your lineart define your shading. For example on almost every instance of muscle you've drawing you have your shadows outline the lineart of the muscles.

An example of pillowshading on one of your pieces would be the shading on the minotaur's head when it's facing up:

The shading nearly follows the outline of the head perfectly. Now this can either be poor shading or simply poor lightsource choice. If you choose a lightsource that's directly in front of the sprite even if your shading is correct it's going to look boring and "wrong" like it does here. For lightsources I typically choose top-left, or if I'm feeling lazy and want to copy/paste horizontally I pick above the sprite.

I'd also say your method of shading doesn't help, where everything gradually goes from dark to light. That tends to exaggerate the banding/pillowshading issues tenfold. It might be better to have the midtones be much less prominent(especially on metals where contrast is sorely needed, this shading methods make metals look more like dull plastic). Other things you can do to help is break black outlines within brighter areas of color.

One more thing, while I love a lot of the lineart, especially things like the dragon's head and such, the muscles tend to be sorely lacking. Most of the muscles are very square/straight and really kill any sort of organic feeling. However I'm kind of pulling straws at the advice I can give and if you really want to improve I may suggest grabbing some books from your local library that focuses on drawing anatomy/volume/lighting/shading as all of these things translate to pixel art. You'd be amazed at how well your pixel art will improve after studying traditionally for a while. You may even want to head over to pixelation(wayofthepixel.net) and post your stuff. There are a lot of people over there that will completely draw over and explain a lot of the anatomy/volume knowledge of the changes they make.

Try to also avoid "bad lines" or lines that don't step with a ratio. For example a diagonal line is a 1:1 step, for every step up or down, you also move to the left or right. Isometric lines have a 2:1 step, or for every step up, you draw two pixels to the left or right. This is to avoid a lot of trouble later on(they're VERY difficult to AA, and without AA can look pretty bad). You can read about it a little more here: http://www.spriteland.com/tutorials/...s-tutorial.htm or http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/foru....asp?TID=11299

Now, these pieces are fairly large so they're not the easiest things in the world to edit, but I tried my best to do a bit of an edit and to explain some things I did:

I personally love your concepts, but the shading can be done so much better.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 09-11-2012, 01:49 PM
U.S. Marine Veteran
I understand that! I'm just unsure of how to shape my shades independent of the lineart. It just boggles me. I guess I lack enough experience in defining inner contours of things. At the same time, the shading isn't necessarily incorrect, is it?
Old 09-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
When making sprites, you don't think of countours... you think of a volume and body, something of consistence, the outline comes when you put it into reality

Old 09-11-2012, 03:42 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
When making sprites, you don't think of countours... you think of a volume and body, something of consistence, the outline comes when you put it into reality
like this?

Old 09-11-2012, 04:11 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
@Crono

10/10 for free handing those lines instead of using the straight line tool (novice approach).
Old 09-11-2012, 04:38 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
@Z, it would be nice if you started with a simpler and smaller character imo. Something like a generic RPG guy or something. That big monster seems difficult to improve, and the guy himself looks kind of...awkward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
@Crono

10/10 for free handing those lines instead of using the straight line tool (novice approach).

Name:	sad_day_for_all.png
Views:	246
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	55063
Old 09-11-2012, 04:39 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
like this?
No.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Kingdoms Management
NicoX will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to NicoX Send a message via MSN to NicoX
http://opengameart.org/content/les-f...xel-art-course

Maybe that will help you a bit

-Nico
(GK Management)

Clash: Nico, I'm going to give you an example of good management.
Clash: One of my staff removed my RC and banned me.
Clash: I didn't ban or remove their RC after I got another one to fix me.
Clash: Do you know why?
Björn: Because you IP banned him ?

Stefan logged on.
(npcserver) has reset the attributes of Stefan
*Stefan: ah my client crashed

Old 09-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Delteria
Cloven has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Cloven
The trick is to half-ass your work, never finish it, and insert not-so-witty captions like so:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Grrr.png
Views:	359
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	55064  
Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 PM
fcmrcy
FaLLChiLD has a spectacular aura aboutFaLLChiLD has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to FaLLChiLD
Old 09-12-2012, 10:49 PM
U.S. Marine Veteran
Alright, heres another. Bear with me here, thanks. I understand the harsh black outline. I will fix it up once I practice AA more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zpractice1.PNG
Views:	317
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	55069  

Last edited by Zerith; 09-12-2012 at 11:06 PM..
Old 09-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Not the fruit.
Kiwi27 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerith View Post
Alright, heres another. Bear with me here, thanks. I understand the harsh black outline. I will fix it up once I practice AA more.
That's beautiful. Except for the cape. It's way too linear with the shading -- fabric doesn't whip round in perfect shapes, it bends and curves far more. Not that I could do any better though :P
Old 09-22-2012, 09:38 PM
U.S. Marine Veteran
Straight from the default Microsoft Paint and nothing else, I present to you my fun creation, purely original concept, my own gundam! the Z Storm.