Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarid0 View Post
Calling it rubber, though... it has no environmental context right now.
It wasn't the fact to do with whether it was cartoony or anything, but that it looked more like the toy rubber blades you can buy rather than an actual sword. It was merely the best comparison I could think of to explain it.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:19 PM
PKT
trifle has a spectacular aura about
Been away for some days, let me answer you all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage_Shadowbane View Post
Actually, I've seen Dusty leave plenty of positive things referring to other peoples work. And if you cared so much about it being for your likings and didn't want to know what other people thought of it, you probably shouldn't have posted it here. When a person sees something posted here, obviously they are going to state their personal opinion on it..
I wanted peoples thought about it yes, but I posted a finnished peice, if this was a "I need your help" forum, I would have a different view, I'm open to crits, just thought it looked a bit harsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwiz View Post
This forum isnt about *****y comments now come on guys, its about input. He gave you input trifle. Weather or not you act to it is up to you but you need not say what you said. in a sense it disregards his comments. Anyway I can see what he means, maybe adding a reflection to the blade would make it look a different material and improve the feel it has.

Add a highlight but not to the extent it detracts from the style you are going for. Personally I really do like this, but I do not believe any form of disagreement of this sort is needed here. I would suggest chamfering certain points of the sword, along the curvature. You will still be within the style but I cant help but notice that the blade is very jagged up the front curve.

For the normal map thing I was discussing, what I meant was if you added more detail to the normal mapm you could really up the quality with the same amount of polygons as it renders. This is how programs like ZBrush are in a league of their own. They are basically bump maps, but they soften certain aspects of gemoetry. let me post an example. Here is some cheese i made before, you notice the hard edges are removed due to the displacement of the geometry.
Adding hilights could make it look better and more real, but I wasn't going for a realistic view, even the propotions of the sword is cartoony.

And it's a very low poly sword, only 260 polys, so using chamfer would increas the polycount too much, thats why I used the normal map, I baked it out from a high poly version of the sword with nice smoothed edges.

When it comes to Zbrush, I got it, I use it sometimes, but more on highpoly stuff, like this:

I got a bachelor in 3d design, so np, I know about thouse programs.
This was a mere little model test I wanted to do for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I don't say mean things either. I try to be constructive, as I follow the belief that post after post of just telling you how great it looks is detrimental to an artist, and an artist looking to better themselves would be open to critique.

Though I do believe that a little motivation is always good for an artist, there were quite a few posts before my own that were very positive, and like I said, nothing I said wasn't mean or unconstructive in any way so I figure it was a good balance.

Artist to artist, all I was looking to do was help *shrug*
I am constantly trying to become better, but I wasn't actually looking for help on this one, I'm sorry I acted the way I did, I apprechiate your honesty.
It's just that it's not a kind way to give crits. I have had some teachers lecturing like that, they say what you do wrong, never the things your good at. And I bet I'm not alone when I think that it's uninspiering.

Thanks for your comments though. No hard feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luda View Post
I like it Per, make more.
Thanks Luda

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarid0 View Post
I can see the merit in the argument that it's too soft... adding some shine to it would certainly help. Calling it rubber, though... it has no environmental context right now. If the knife were placed directly into any game that goes for a realistic look it wouldn't fit, but this is more cartoony. It took a while for me to realize it but this reminds me a little bit of Monkey Island 4. As long as the rest of its surroundings kept with the cartoony look it would look good.

Adding shininess to the knife in that situation would still help a lot though xD

Oh.
Ah.
Anyways.
I like it :o
Yeah, I didn't want it to look realistic, if I did, I would have faild miserably.
Thank you and thanks for your comment.