FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 11:15 PM
smooth as eggs
racycle will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to racycle

awesome work elk

Old 12-18-2012, 08:29 PM
DeCeaseD will become famous soon enough
You had to use some type of tools on this, no? MS Paint just doesn't seem believable, I mean.. there's shades of colors in there that aren't even visible to the eye. o_O And that seems like an IMMENSE amount of pixels to be placing by hand.. But, great work either way Elk. Keep it coming!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
thats why you can zoom, no?
it took over 500 hours already though

Old 12-18-2012, 08:46 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCeaseD View Post
You had to use some type of tools on this, no? MS Paint just doesn't seem believable, I mean.. there's shades of colors in there that aren't even visible to the eye. o_O And that seems like an IMMENSE amount of pixels to be placing by hand.. But, great work either way Elk. Keep it coming!
pixel art is pixel art bro
Old 12-18-2012, 08:53 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
i dont know of any other pixelartist that is as insane as i am :P
Ask some of the Japanese fellows.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
There are some programs that reduce the amount of effort to do monotonous tasks though. Dither brushes and so on. Some programs like Deluxe Paint are a little controversial because they blur the line between between pixel art and digital painting. It basically gives you the same tools/power as Photoshop but with stricter palette control, giving the outcome a crisp/pixelly look but done in a digital-painting sort of way.

I mean I have no experience with Deluxe Paint itself, but it's very easy to spot something done with that as there tends to be A LOT of dithering/heavy AA and faux gradients everywhere.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
You're right, but digital art != pixel art. There's a huge difference between placing every pixel by hand and having a tool do it for you. I'm not trying to down Elk or anything, I was just curious because I'd like to learn something from it.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:19 PM
Banned
foxstar70 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to foxstar70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post

official WIP premiere of my newest masterpiece
Pretty good. But 'masterpiece'? I suggest toning down a bit with your arrogance, just a tip.

I would also like to express my confusion in the need for pixel art in this day and age (it's almost 2013). No need to limit your colours like that and the market for pixel-art games is way too slim, so why are you wasting your time?
Old 12-20-2012, 01:13 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
Who cares about this market ?

Old 12-20-2012, 03:11 AM
Registered Pirate Ghost
Gos_pira is a splendid one to beholdGos_pira is a splendid one to beholdGos_pira is a splendid one to beholdGos_pira is a splendid one to beholdGos_pira is a splendid one to behold
Climbing the mountain is what makes it exciting, not the goal. I completely understand Why Elk does it, and Why he has chosen MSPaint to do it.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:05 AM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to smirt362 Send a message via MSN to smirt362
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxstar70 View Post
I would also like to express my confusion in the need for pixel art in this day and age (it's almost 2013). No need to limit your colours like that and the market for pixel-art games is way too slim, so why are you wasting your time?
There are plenty of folks who still enjoy the look of pixel art and a good pixel art game. Just because you don't see the need or like the style doesn't mean that everyone else agrees with you.

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 12-20-2012, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smirt362 View Post
There are plenty of folks who still enjoy the look of pixel art and a good pixel art game. Just because you don't see the need or like the style doesn't mean that everyone else agrees with you.
This one.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:36 AM
Not the fruit.
Kiwi27 will become famous soon enough
Would be interesting to see the steps you take to get to that...
Also when you do a large piece like that, how do you know where to start? o.o
Old 12-22-2012, 01:08 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi27 View Post
Would be interesting to see the steps you take to get to that...
Also when you do a large piece like that, how do you know where to start? o.o
One of the first results I could find on Google(since I myself have no training/knowledge of composition:

http://edsitement.neh.gov/curriculum...ts-right-place
Old 12-22-2012, 02:01 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
The same as when you approach everything else, you start roughly and go into the matter/complexity, first, its pure abstractness, then you give it form/shape and from then on you go further and further and further untill everything reaches the desired level of detail... some might say my compositions may lack some things, but the general composition that is taught by industrial people, is not so good, because it isn't that unique, its for mass-production and everything looking equal... thats how my things stand out :0 I use my own kind of method to compose things that isn't really explainable