Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-02-2011, 02:50 AM
Soala Soala is offline
Ideas on Fire
Soala's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In my head
Posts: 3,208
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Development forums

... should be restricted to members of the forums only. I realized that, quite often, there are more guests than registered members.
I don't particulary like to have my work exposed to anyone, so I feel that only members of the forums should be allowed to READ and post in the development forums.

Opinions?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-02-2011, 02:51 AM
cbk1994 cbk1994 is offline
the fake one
cbk1994's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,718
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
No.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-02-2011, 02:52 AM
Soala Soala is offline
Ideas on Fire
Soala's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In my head
Posts: 3,208
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
No.
Why not? It wouldn't hurt.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-02-2011, 02:53 AM
WhiteDragon WhiteDragon is offline
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,002
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
I disagree. Graal development is already composed of so few people that closing it off any further would kill it off entirely.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-02-2011, 02:53 AM
Crono Crono is offline
:pluffy:
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 19,993
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Crono
It would hurt.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-02-2011, 02:55 AM
cbk1994 cbk1994 is offline
the fake one
cbk1994's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,718
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soala View Post
Why not? It wouldn't hurt.
It might. The way these forums are it is entirely possible that there are members of the development community that can't access the forums. free vimes, if you catch my drift
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-02-2011, 02:57 AM
Soala Soala is offline
Ideas on Fire
Soala's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In my head
Posts: 3,208
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDragon View Post
I disagree. Graal development is already composed of so few people that closing it off any further would kill it off entirely.
So you're okay with the fact that people just come here, look at your stuff, take it and use it without saying thanks because they don't have a forum account? You don't even know who's doing what!
Just restrict read access to members, that's all I want.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
It might. The way these forums are it is entirely possible that there are members of the development community that can't access the forums. free vimes, if you catch my drift
How hard is it to activate your accounts on the Graal forums?
I believe it would make more people come in to say thanks, or eventualy make them post their own stuff since they have an account!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-02-2011, 02:58 AM
fowlplay4 fowlplay4 is offline
team canada
fowlplay4's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,200
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Don't post your work if you don't want it to become accessible to the public domain.

The development forums are just as important as the Wiki and closing the door will only have negative repercussions.
__________________
Quote:
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-02-2011, 02:59 AM
cyan3 cyan3 is offline
Registered User
cyan3's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: England
Posts: 2,919
cyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soala View Post
I don't particulary like to have my work exposed to anyone
The simple solution would be to stop posting your work.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:00 AM
WhiteDragon WhiteDragon is offline
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,002
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soala View Post
So you're okay with the fact that people just come here, look at your stuff, take it and use it without saying thanks because they don't have a forum account? You don't even know who's doing what!
I don't post stuff here to just show it. It's either posted for people to directly use it or learn from it.

Even if I posted stuff that I didn't want copied, I'd still leave the forums open, because attracting people to the game, and specifically its development community, is far more important than my pride.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:03 AM
Soala Soala is offline
Ideas on Fire
Soala's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In my head
Posts: 3,208
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDragon View Post
I don't post stuff here to just show it. It's either posted for people to directly use it or learn from it.

Even if I posted stuff that I didn't want copied, I'd still leave the forums open, because attracting people to the game, and specifically its development community, is far more important than my pride.
I'm not talking about pride, I'm talking about the fact that your work can be used somewhere else without any credits. You will never know where your work is at the moment, who's using it and for what project.
People know there are alternatives to Graal, and seriously, how many times did we see people starting standalone projects using graal's stuff without permission? I've seen that way too many times, it's really annoying.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:05 AM
cbk1994 cbk1994 is offline
the fake one
cbk1994's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,718
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soala View Post
People know there are alternatives to Graal, and seriously, how many times did we see people starting standalone projects using graal's stuff without permission? I've seen that way too many times, it's really annoying.
I've never seen it, but I would assume the people who do it are familiar with Graal and would probably have a forum account anyway.

Felix's solution was perfect.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:06 AM
fowlplay4 fowlplay4 is offline
team canada
fowlplay4's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,200
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soala View Post
I'm not talking about pride, I'm talking about the fact that your work can be used somewhere else without any credits. You will never know where your work is at the moment, who's using it and for what project.
People know there are alternatives to Graal, and seriously, how many times did we see people starting standalone projects using graal's stuff without permission? I've seen that way too many times, it's really annoying.
Get over yourself, nobody cares that much about your graphics.

All the power to people who manage to create something successful from public assets.
__________________
Quote:
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:10 AM
WhiteDragon WhiteDragon is offline
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,002
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soala View Post
I'm not talking about pride, I'm talking about the fact that your work can be used somewhere else without any credits. You will never know where your work is at the moment, who's using it and for what project.
People know there are alternatives to Graal, and seriously, how many times did we see people starting standalone projects using graal's stuff without permission? I've seen that way too many times, it's really annoying.
Are you trying to induce paranoia in the community? Have some trust that more people will be using what they see for good rather than for bad.

The fact is that anyone who is stealing content won't have enough talent to make a successful project anyways.

I've been part of communities which were 'closed off', and I must say they were more elitist than skilled, and there was a truly ugly atmosphere inside of them. I don't want the same to happen here.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:11 AM
DustyPorViva DustyPorViva is offline
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 9,589
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
If people are going to steal, they're going to steal. Locking away the forum is going to only be an incentive for them to sign up on the forums... and all you need is to subscribe to Graal once(which you need to have a server anyways).

The days of problematic stealing are mainly gone, you rarely see anyone steal stuff anymore and when you do it's not hard to get it taken care of. If you're paranoid with your work Graal isn't the place for you since all you have to do is play to get the graphics.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (C) 1998-2008 Linux cyberjoueurs All Rights Reserved.