Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2009, 02:08 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
The Wiki

The wiki is a really inefficent method for documentation, for several reasons.
  • It's incredibly hard to find stuff. For example, searching for "findNPC" does not show "findNPCByID", but searching for "findNPCByID" does. Perhaps search options could be adjusted?
  • You have to have a Gold subscription to update it. This is crazy. It would be better to allow classic accounts as well (or those who have upgraded in the past), and simply ban those who cause trouble. There's no reason I should have to renew my gold subscription to post some news about a classic server.
  • It's not organized at all. It's hard to find exactly what you want. For example, if I want to find a list of player functions, I have to search exactly for "TServerPlayer". For a list of overall serverside functions, I have to search for some oddly-named page.
  • There is no "index", except for a listing of every single page. There should be an easy way to see a list of all the worlds, and a way to jump to them (instead of looking under World/* in the "Bible Index")
  • It contains information that /scripthelp (RC command) has, and misses some that the command has. These should somehow be integrated, or there should be a way to access /scripthelp from the site.
  • The wiki looks really bad on Safari (Mac) and occasionaly Firefox. Probably a template thing.
  • The name "Graal Bible" is unrepresentative of the content it contains.

I think it would be best to find a better way to document information, especially scripting information. There are probably content management systems (CMS) made specifically for this purpose. If not, there are several website that offer this.

Some of these things could also be fixed by just changing the current wiki.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:45 AM
oh snaps
napo_p2p has a spectacular aura aboutnapo_p2p has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to napo_p2p Send a message via MSN to napo_p2p
Yeah, the Graal Bible is nice and all, but doesn't cut it when it comes to GScript documentation. The Graal Bible doesn't have to go away, but it just seems to me that there should be some kind of dedicated/specialized site for GScript documentation.

I'd like something along the lines of CakePHP's Manual/'Cook Book' ... a system that still sticks to the principles of a collaborative documentation effort without sacrificing ease of use and navigation.
Tempus neminem non manet.
Noli manere tempus.
Carpe Diem

Seize the Day.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:12 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
http://wiki.graal.us/Index
All it needs is contributors right now!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:21 AM
SomeOne
MiniOne is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to MiniOne
I didn't realise there even was a wiki till a few weeks ago, and I've been playing for quite a while
Old 03-17-2009, 09:34 AM
cyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
  • There is no "index", except for a listing of every single page. There should be an easy way to see a list of all the worlds, and a way to jump to them (instead of looking under World/* in the "Bible Index")
The worlds page used to be under the navigation but was removed after a MediaWiki update. I've also noticed the creation of attachments is broken but I thats also a problem with MediaWiki.

Last edited by cyan3; 03-17-2009 at 09:45 AM..
Old 03-17-2009, 10:41 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan3 View Post
The worlds page used to be under the navigation but was removed after a MediaWiki update. I've also noticed the creation of attachments is broken but I thats also a problem with MediaWiki.
It's a problem with the way they have it set up.

The key point here is not that it doesn't work, but that it's really hard to find stuff.

Just creating another wiki won't solve this.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:21 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
The point is we can reorganize this wiki and add to it for free.

So either do it or stop asking Stefan to. This resource can become just as official as the current one if it's comprehensive, which is entirely up to us.

As to the point of the news thing, yes, I agree, since many Classic server staff don't have gold.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:41 AM
the fake one
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDragon View Post
The point is we can reorganize this wiki and add to it for free.

So either do it or stop asking Stefan to. This resource can become just as official as the current one if it's comprehensive, which is entirely up to us.

As to the point of the news thing, yes, I agree, since many Classic server staff don't have gold.
My whole point is that it shouldn't be up to us to provide our own documentation.

Surely there is a reason the GST was created. They (he) should be put to use documenting scripting functions, organizing the wiki, and helping servers. If it's too much work, more scripters should be hired.

There's no reason we should have to take things in to our own hands in order to help ourselves make their game.

[/brokenrecord]
Old 03-18-2009, 01:59 AM
Lv.1 Internet Bully
thesmoothcriminal will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to thesmoothcriminal Send a message via Yahoo to thesmoothcriminal
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
T[*]You have to have a Gold subscription to update it. This is crazy. It would be better to allow classic accounts as well (or those who have upgraded in the past), and simply ban those who cause trouble. There's no reason I should have to renew my gold subscription to post some news about a classic server.
I agree.

The majority of servers people play are classic and are staffed by those with a classic subscription. Why cant we post news? should we pay to inform players of whats happening on your servers?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:53 AM
SomeOne
I think we need to let people know there's a wiki
Old 03-18-2009, 12:10 PM
cyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniOne View Post
I think we need to let people know there's a wiki
The wiki is advertised on the login server and also under the start tab. It's not like we've been keeping it a secret.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:07 AM
SomeOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan3 View Post
The wiki is advertised on the login server and also under the start tab. It's not like we've been keeping it a secret.
I'm sorry but it's kind of dull and blends in with the login server, also I didn't locate it for around 1minute of looking.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:59 AM
the fake one
bump