Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Immolate Immolate is offline
Indigo
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 322
Immolate is on a distinguished road
Interested in learning

I'm quite interested in learning how to make graphics for graal and I have no idea where to start and what to do. I know the basics but I'm just interested how some of you pixel artists out there started out and if there are any tips and tricks of the trade I should know.

Anything to increase my knowledge would be helpful.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Liberated Liberated is offline
not doing alot
Liberated's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,366
Liberated has a spectacular aura about
First of all, as far as i know, and have been told, the lineart, or the outline, is just as important, if not more important then the shading, you can't get something to look good if the lineart is just bad.
I've made some tutorials for shading. i'm not sure if they're that good, but i think they cover some of the basics, and some techniques you can apply.



I will also pm you a link to a pixelart site, and directly to a page with al sorts of tutorials.

programs to use:

I prefer MSpaint myself, as it is simple to use, and has no auto AA(anti-aliasing), but there are all sorts of programs to use, and you could probably google stuff like gimp, paint.net, photoshop, stuff like that, everything is suitable.

I hope i haven't been saying too basic stuff for you, and that most of this is useful.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
I promise when I get rich I'll send you an iPhone. I'll send everyone an iPhone.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Immolate Immolate is offline
Indigo
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 322
Immolate is on a distinguished road
I thank you for your input

Much thanks
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-06-2010, 12:45 AM
FaLLChiLD FaLLChiLD is offline
fcmrcy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 258
FaLLChiLD has a spectacular aura aboutFaLLChiLD has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to FaLLChiLD Send a message via Skype™ to FaLLChiLD
Practice, practice, practice, patience, and more practice. Seriously.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-06-2010, 12:56 AM
DustyPorViva DustyPorViva is offline
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 9,589
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Traditional art(pencil and paper) will take you a long way.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-06-2010, 03:42 AM
Elk Elk is offline
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Deerland
Posts: 3,829
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk Send a message via Skype™ to Elk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Traditional art(pencil and paper) will take you a long way.
this
__________________
iEra IGN: *Elk (Darkshire)
iCla. IGN: *Elk (Darkshire)
iZone IGN: *Elk (Darkshire)




Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Draenin Draenin is offline
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bermuda Triangle
Posts: 6,790
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin Send a message via Skype™ to Draenin
*bump*

Because this is a good tutorial. However, Liberated, you might want to mention your use of an 'add noise' tool in Step 8. When you say 'shade like this,' you omit the explanation for how one shades 'like that.' Don't be ashamed of using a shortcut, but you should at least explain how it works.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Crow Crow is offline
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,153
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
Because this is a good tutorial. However, Liberated, you might want to mention your use of an 'add noise' tool in Step 8.
Doesn't really look like it. I agree that "shade like this" is not sufficient though.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Liberated Liberated is offline
not doing alot
Liberated's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,366
Liberated has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
*bump*

Because this is a good tutorial. However, Liberated, you might want to mention your use of an 'add noise' tool in Step 8. When you say 'shade like this,' you omit the explanation for how one shades 'like that.' Don't be ashamed of using a shortcut, but you should at least explain how it works.
I did not use "add noise",
i use paint
pasted the tutorial together in photoshop.

with "this way", i ment the way of going from your middle colour, onto your darker and lighter colours, that i explained earlier in the tutorial. I guess i haven't been clear at all in this tutorial.

I appreciate the fact that you think this is a good tutorial tho .
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Draenin Draenin is offline
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bermuda Triangle
Posts: 6,790
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin Send a message via Skype™ to Draenin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated View Post
I did not use "add noise",
The main part that appears that way is the butt of the gun, where all the red is.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Liberated Liberated is offline
not doing alot
Liberated's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,366
Liberated has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
The main part that appears that way is the butt of the gun, where all the red is.
yeah i was pretty sure you ment that part, it is all just manual.
And i personally do mind using tools like add noise, because you cant predict how it looks, as it uses a randomizer.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Draenin Draenin is offline
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bermuda Triangle
Posts: 6,790
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin Send a message via Skype™ to Draenin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated View Post
yeah i was pretty sure you ment that part, it is all just manual.
And i personally do mind using tools like add noise, because you cant predict how it looks, as it uses a randomizer.
Well, there is a difference between responsible and irresponsible use of add noise functions. The problem is, once newbie spriters discover it, they have the tendency to abuse it in all the wrong ways. I may address that in a new blog article I've started on writing, though.

Also, some programs support uniform, gaussian, and random noising, which helps to control how noise is distributed. So there is a good way to do it, but it should only be done sparingly.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (C) 1998-2008 Linux cyberjoueurs All Rights Reserved.