Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Indigo
Immolate is on a distinguished road
Interested in learning

I'm quite interested in learning how to make graphics for graal and I have no idea where to start and what to do. I know the basics but I'm just interested how some of you pixel artists out there started out and if there are any tips and tricks of the trade I should know.

Anything to increase my knowledge would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2010, 05:41 PM
not doing alot
Liberated has a spectacular aura about
First of all, as far as i know, and have been told, the lineart, or the outline, is just as important, if not more important then the shading, you can't get something to look good if the lineart is just bad.
I've made some tutorials for shading. i'm not sure if they're that good, but i think they cover some of the basics, and some techniques you can apply.

I will also pm you a link to a pixelart site, and directly to a page with al sorts of tutorials.

programs to use:

I prefer MSpaint myself, as it is simple to use, and has no auto AA(anti-aliasing), but there are all sorts of programs to use, and you could probably google stuff like gimp, paint.net, photoshop, stuff like that, everything is suitable.

I hope i haven't been saying too basic stuff for you, and that most of this is useful.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Indigo
Immolate is on a distinguished road
I thank you for your input

Much thanks
Old 01-06-2010, 12:45 AM
fcmrcy
FaLLChiLD has a spectacular aura aboutFaLLChiLD has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to FaLLChiLD Send a message via Skype™ to FaLLChiLD
Practice, practice, practice, patience, and more practice. Seriously.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:56 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Traditional art(pencil and paper) will take you a long way.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:42 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk Send a message via Skype™ to Elk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Traditional art(pencil and paper) will take you a long way.
this

Old 03-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin Send a message via Skype™ to Draenin
*bump*

Because this is a good tutorial. However, Liberated, you might want to mention your use of an 'add noise' tool in Step 8. When you say 'shade like this,' you omit the explanation for how one shades 'like that.' Don't be ashamed of using a shortcut, but you should at least explain how it works.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:41 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
Because this is a good tutorial. However, Liberated, you might want to mention your use of an 'add noise' tool in Step 8.
Doesn't really look like it. I agree that "shade like this" is not sufficient though.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:46 PM
not doing alot
Quote:
*bump*

Because this is a good tutorial. However, Liberated, you might want to mention your use of an 'add noise' tool in Step 8. When you say 'shade like this,' you omit the explanation for how one shades 'like that.' Don't be ashamed of using a shortcut, but you should at least explain how it works.
I did not use "add noise",
i use paint
pasted the tutorial together in photoshop.

with "this way", i ment the way of going from your middle colour, onto your darker and lighter colours, that i explained earlier in the tutorial. I guess i haven't been clear at all in this tutorial.

I appreciate the fact that you think this is a good tutorial tho .
Old 03-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin Send a message via Skype™ to Draenin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated View Post
I did not use "add noise",
The main part that appears that way is the butt of the gun, where all the red is.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:52 PM
not doing alot
Quote:
The main part that appears that way is the butt of the gun, where all the red is.
yeah i was pretty sure you ment that part, it is all just manual.
And i personally do mind using tools like add noise, because you cant predict how it looks, as it uses a randomizer.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Magnificent Bastard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated View Post
yeah i was pretty sure you ment that part, it is all just manual.
And i personally do mind using tools like add noise, because you cant predict how it looks, as it uses a randomizer.
Well, there is a difference between responsible and irresponsible use of add noise functions. The problem is, once newbie spriters discover it, they have the tendency to abuse it in all the wrong ways. I may address that in a new blog article I've started on writing, though.

Also, some programs support uniform, gaussian, and random noising, which helps to control how noise is distributed. So there is a good way to do it, but it should only be done sparingly.