Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
if I had to guess the majority of people continuing to develop on private servers are people without lifetime classic who need to pay to continue accessing Graal's other servers.

The other portion of the developers are the server owners.

I doubt much revenue is being generated by Lifetime Classic players upgrading to Gold for development purposes.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:45 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I think such a proposal is never going to happen, even if it is a good idea. I haven't seen Graal take any sort of change that would actually mean less income in a long, long time.

However, I would at least like to see those servers on the classic list get more support. Why should a server that has more players than the Gold servers have to pay for a dev server? Why should any of the people who are on the classic list have to pay for anything? From what I can see, those servers are doing more for Graal than any of the 'official' servers.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:50 PM
asdfg
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I think such a proposal is never going to happen, even if it is a good idea. I haven't seen Graal take any sort of change that would actually mean less income in a long, long time.

However, I would at least like to see those servers on the classic list get more support. Why should a server that has more players than the Gold servers have to pay for a dev server? Why should any of the people who are on the classic list have to pay for anything? From what I can see, those servers are doing more for Graal than any of the 'official' servers.
This is for sure.
I agree.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:24 PM
graal player lord
Imperialistic is a jewel in the roughImperialistic is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
Title pretty much says it all, but I don't think we should have to upgrade an account just to work on a server. If the server has staffonly set to true in the serveroptions, anyone with a registered account (whether it be gold, lifetime classic, or even trial) should be allowed to work there without limitations.

I'm sure some of you will say, "Whoa man, won't Graal lose tons of money?" Graal would still be making money from server rentals, and I'd imagine that more people would be willing to invest in a server knowing that their friends can work with them without upgrading. If/when the server decides to open up for players, accounts will need the appropriate subscription.

As someone who has rented a server, I know how hard it can be to find developers. The most common response I had when trying to get people to work with me was "I don't want to pay to work" -- who would?

A Global Development Team sounds nice, sure, but if you're really interested in helping developers, stop making them pay to develop your game.
You sort of have a point.
BUT yet again, you're wrong when you say "YOUR game".
This is pretty much OUR game, if it was their game, you probally wouldn't be playing Graal, they could be rude enough to take away staff positions, and no more uploaders, and have only classic/gold servers.

I know it's pretty crazy to upgrade just to develop, but it's basically a donation to help out GraalOnline. They DON'T have to let us create our own servers any way we want as long as it follows the rules.

P.S. When I say "OUR", I mean the players and GraalOnline.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:32 PM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperialistic View Post
P.S. When I say "OUR", I mean the players and GraalOnline.
i think you meant developers
Old 08-28-2009, 09:46 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
... Why should a server that has more players than the Gold servers have to pay for a dev server? Why should any of the people who are on the classic list have to pay for anything? From what I can see, those servers are doing more for Graal than any of the 'official' servers.
These are great questions. Valikorlia had to release its latest update unfinished because we couldn't keep our dev server.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:41 AM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
These are great questions. Valikorlia had to release its latest update unfinished because we couldn't keep our dev server.
Took an arm and a leg to get Era's dev server. wasn't my arm or leg though so it's all good
Old 08-29-2009, 04:45 AM
Hired/Fired
CharlieM will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to CharlieM Send a message via MSN to CharlieM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
Took an arm and a leg to get Era's dev server. wasn't my arm or leg though so it's all good
and at one time a sabre

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

Eric Hoffer

turned that one on you didn't I.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:53 AM
Erik
Lime_O_Matic is on a distinguished road
Nice idea
Old 08-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Era Manager
DuBsTeRmAn is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to DuBsTeRmAn
I have only readed the first page, All i have to say is Yes.. And i don't think that Graal would lose money with it.

People would buy more servers because they only have to pay for the server, And the staff doesn't have to pay to work.. Which makes more people want to dev ---> More servers --> More cash --> Makes stefan happy
Old 09-03-2009, 06:15 PM
pokeSMOT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
There would have to be a staff cap with this to prevent just adding everyone to their staff list, which could be very profitable actually.

I.e: Buy a server with 10? or so staff slots open. Add $5/(monthly/quarterly) for 5-10 more slots, and so on.
That would also assist with regulating the amount of desired staff a Server Manager would want. There wouldn't be an abundance of non-useful staff, because the Manager would be paying for each staff slot. They'd be a lot more careful and selective. I think the whole idea of this is a great idea, because sometimes, people want to just help out and see some of their work on a server. It gives a value in and of itself. As previously stated, people rarely, if ever, want to pay to work somewhere. This would be perfect!
Old 09-12-2009, 05:44 AM
Chang
DesolateRestriction will become famous soon enough
You can't have a successful developer's platform when the audience (both developers and players) are generally in their teens. I don't think Graal is a developer's platform because it's still advertised as a video game. When you log on the Graal website, do you see animated clips of stefan flipping through developer tools and explaining developer gold subscriptions? No. You see "him" -playing- and experiencing various servers as a player. He uses the promise of creative freedom as a hook line and sinker, but Graal is not setup to attract serious indie game developers.

The gaming industry is very competitive; you see games not allowed to be discussed on the forums improving GAMEPLAY(And with global economies on the decline, what do you think will be priority in terms of gaming expenses?)

I agree with Hiro in this situation. We're telling a bunch of teenagers and young adults (25 or younger) that, for 70 USD for 6 months, you can have your creative freedom... with the exception that you still have to follow GraalOnline rules, assemble a team of volunteers who are also composed of teenagers, and rigorous inspections by the PWA... well when they get spare time to come inspect your playerworld that is.

If you truly want to turn Graal into a development platform, abolish PWA, claim no liability for server content, and make UC servers more accessible by the general population. Now I'm sure some of you want to shoot me for saying such ideas, I do not personally suggest looking at Graal as a Developer's platform.

But for those of you who feel that Graal should only be a developer's platform, how do you expect to draw in any professional indie talent when UC servers are so limited? I suggest allowing regular players to have more interaction on UC servers; seeing players appreciate, immerse, or otherwise enjoy one's work is the ONLY motivation/reward Graal currently offers for Developers.

When I look at Graal I see a double edged sword. On one side you have the players, and on the other you have the developers.
You have to appeal to both sides if you want Graal to flourish. Client and Engine performance updates will only get you so far when the the overall content is outdated and otherwise boring. I agree with Hiro in this situation also, who better to formulate a design for a new server or massive server revamps than Stefan himself? Who could do better than he to bring a number of developers together?

You don't have to make anything free when the quality matches the price.

(Also, it'd be a good idea to link the community together in the login server. Why not advertise links to the wiki, forums, website, and subscription plans there? have it Advertise randomly select a topic/thread from the forums to display, followed by a link to read more. )

Last edited by pooper200000; 09-12-2009 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: Discussion of other MMORPGs is not allowed.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:15 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolateRestriction View Post
You can't have a successful developer's platform when the audience (both developers and players) are generally in their teens. I don't think Graal is a developer's platform because it's still advertised as a video game. When you log on the Graal website, do you see animated clips of stefan flipping through developer tools and explaining developer gold subscriptions? No. You see "him" -playing- and experiencing various servers as a player. He uses the promise of creative freedom as a hook line and sinker, but Graal is not setup to attract serious indie game developers.

The gaming industry is very competitive; you see games not allowed to be discussed on the forums improving GAMEPLAY(And with global economies on the decline, what do you think will be priority in terms of gaming expenses?)

I agree with Hiro in this situation. We're telling a bunch of teenagers and young adults (25 or younger) that, for 70 USD for 6 months, you can have your creative freedom... with the exception that you still have to follow GraalOnline rules, assemble a team of volunteers who are also composed of teenagers, and rigorous inspections by the PWA... well when they get spare time to come inspect your playerworld that is.

If you truly want to turn Graal into a development platform, abolish PWA, claim no liability for server content, and make UC servers more accessible by the general population. Now I'm sure some of you want to shoot me for saying such ideas, I do not personally suggest looking at Graal as a Developer's platform.

But for those of you who feel that Graal should only be a developer's platform, how do you expect to draw in any professional indie talent when UC servers are so limited? I suggest allowing regular players to have more interaction on UC servers; seeing players appreciate, immerse, or otherwise enjoy one's work is the ONLY motivation/reward Graal currently offers for Developers.

When I look at Graal I see a double edged sword. On one side you have the players, and on the other you have the developers.
You have to appeal to both sides if you want Graal to flourish. Client and Engine performance updates will only get you so far when the the overall content is outdated and otherwise boring. I agree with Hiro in this situation also, who better to formulate a design for a new server or massive server revamps than Stefan himself? Who could do better than he to bring a number of developers together?

You don't have to make anything free when the quality matches the price.

(Also, it'd be a good idea to link the community together in the login server. Why not advertise links to the wiki, forums, website, and subscription plans there? have it Advertise randomly select a topic/thread from the forums to display, followed by a link to read more. )
not surprised at no posts after this one
Old 09-16-2009, 04:45 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
This thread is old, we've moved on.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:52 AM
Chang
DesolateRestriction will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
This thread is old, we've moved on.
Yet the issues outlined in this thread still exist...