Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 02:42 AM
Mr. Blu
Shards-Of-Fate will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Shards-Of-Fate Send a message via MSN to Shards-Of-Fate Send a message via Yahoo to Shards-Of-Fate
Post Looking for YOUR Opinion.

Two-part question. Feel free to extend past my suggested questions.

What do you enjoy about PVP?
(Its rewards? Experience? Ranking?)

What do you enjoy about PVE?
(Drops? Boss kills? Rare Spawn Drops?)

Weee!~
Old 03-13-2011, 02:57 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shards-Of-Fate View Post
I like the sheer joys of killing other players more than anything else. To make PVP more fun, I suggest you have lots of ways to do it. There should be lots of weapons dealing diverse amounts of damage. Some might even have special status effects when you hurt your opponent. (Dizzyness, illness, etc.)

On the other hand, I like the idea of receiving EXP for killing other players. You would have to be careful with this though; if you go up to a player with one life point and kill them, then it shouldn't really be worth anything. Here are some ideas I would take into account:
  • If you take 5,000 life from the opponent, kill him, and he takes 500 life from you, then you should receive a large number of experience points.
  • If you take 500 life from the opponent, kill him, and he takes 5,000 life from you, yet you still survive because of high life points, then you should still only receive a small amount of experience points.
  • If your opponent has 10,000 experience, and you have 100 experience, then killing him should result in a gain of massive experience.
  • If your opponent has 100 experience, and you have 10,000 experience, then killing him should result in either a tiny or no experience gain.

You have to balance things such as number of experience you and your enemy have, number of reamining health you and your enemy have when you enter battle, and who is ultimately victorious.

Quote:
I like baddies. When they are used in appropriate numbers, they are very fun and beneficial to the game. Killing baddies should give experience or drop items based on the following:
  • How much health the baddie already has when you begin fighting him.
  • How much health the baddie inflicts on you during the course of your battle.
  • You experience points in comparison to the experience points of the baddie.
  • The worth of the item should reflect the difficulty level of the baddie.

Well, these are my suggestions for an ideal server. :P Good luck!
On the other hand, free-to-play games, if unbalanced, could result in some consumers paying extremely large amounts of money, and we can certainly not expect to build a good relationship with our consumers in this fashion. In order to have a favorable long-term relationship, we would like to offer free-to-play games that are balanced and reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unximad
Eurocenter Games remains attached to the values of indies game developer and to the service our playerbase community.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:49 AM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
The only reward should be the ranking. PVP with numerous rewards to better players only imbalances it. Good players don't need any help to improve. I honestly don't have much to say about PVP because I saw the next question and immediately climbed up onto an unnecessary soapbox.

Quote:
I enjoy nothing about standard PVE in RPG type games

I'm going to come out and say it now. The typical MMO formula for PVE is terrible. Grinding for item drops being based only on small percentages is probably the biggest bull**** in all of gaming, especially at higher stages when those rare drops are something highly sought after. Granted, this ties into the "economy" thing (which is shockingly just as dumb!). A player shouldn't be expected to have to grind through 100s of low level monsters to get an item for a quest or something. Likewise, they shouldn't spend hours and a lot of effort on single very strong and slow spawning monsters/bosses for an item that probably won't even drop the first time. This is not fun, it's padding. My ground breaking suggestion when it comes to drops is Monster X always yields reward X. Always.

This not only takes grinding strain off killing monsters for items over the course of hours (or seconds, because random percentages), but encourages developers to come up with more ways of obtaining items than killing the same enemies over and over. Farming, crafting, alchemy, NPC controlled shops, etc. Seldom do multiplayer RPGs take this route to its fullest, and instead still depend on random drops as their backbone.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:06 AM
Mr. Blu
Send a message via AIM to Shards-Of-Fate Send a message via MSN to Shards-Of-Fate Send a message via Yahoo to Shards-Of-Fate
I counter your suggestion with a...What about rare spawns? Lets say he goes with your idea on the dropping the same thing each time boat. But he maybe only spawns every hour or so. Is that also tedious?

Weee!~
Old 03-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
I counter your suggestion with a...What about rare spawns? Lets say he goes with your idea on the dropping the same thing each time boat. But he maybe only spawns every hour or so. Is that also tedious?
It's not much of a rare spawn if it has a set respawn time.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:17 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I don't think spawners should be time based. I think that they should be based on certain aspcts of player activity in the area.

If you do a time based spawner (like every hour) players will just sit around at the spot and wait for the baddie to show up. Then they will lame it and wait another hour. It won't be very fun that way
On the other hand, free-to-play games, if unbalanced, could result in some consumers paying extremely large amounts of money, and we can certainly not expect to build a good relationship with our consumers in this fashion. In order to have a favorable long-term relationship, we would like to offer free-to-play games that are balanced and reasonable.
Quote:
Eurocenter Games remains attached to the values of indies game developer and to the service our playerbase community.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:19 AM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Rather than rare = random, make rare more of challenge to get. A special criteria that would involve deviating from the typical route the player takes. Encouraging experimenting and exploration over just coming in and killing something over and over until you get what you want. ie., say there's a "unicorn" enemy. Regularly killing it only gets you it's hide, but a special method of killing it - such as a decapitation or some sort of slicing ability, or even something within the level you encounter the unicorn in, such as a trap - would net you its more valuable horn.

e. I misinterpreted your question as being about rare drops. But the same thing applies. Rather than just saying there's only a 20% chance of encountering a "blue rappy", make it so the blue rappy only spawns if a certain criteria was met (such using a harder to obtain item in a certain place, or discovering a hidden cave/route).

Last edited by kia345; 03-13-2011 at 09:11 AM..
Old 03-13-2011, 07:50 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
PvP is great but make sure that it's possible for a noob to kill a player with the best armor/level. On GK, a new player can't even damage a player with decent armor, and PvP suffers as a result. The same can be said to an extent with Zodiac, unless it's changed recently.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Mr. Blu
Okay, what if you could loot one of 3 items. Like you'd be able to choose a certain item instead of being stuck with the random one, yet still giving them a need to keep killing.

E: And also, whats your opinion on factions. Does everyone attack everyone or do I group them?

Weee!~

Last edited by Shards-Of-Fate; 03-13-2011 at 09:52 AM..
Old 03-13-2011, 11:09 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
for PVP i enjoy surprise attacks. nothing is more terrible than walking around an overworld and suddenly getting ganked. the real pressure is on when you have a chance to lose all of your items should you die - or at least having some sort of real detrimental effect to having been killed.

on classic servers i eventually got tired of just mindlessly PKing in the same area, just getting up and going at it again and again. that's why i spar more often than i PK, and i feel like the same idea could be put to use for PKing.

for PVE, i've always preferred dungeon crawlers. random generated maps along with random generated baddies which drop random things that you can loot after wards. i absolutely hate having to level up in a game because i feel like it makes it less skill based.

i think it'd be fun to have some really well done quests that you can run through again and again to attain unique NPCs, or something to manipulate your character in some way that has to be accomplished to unlock. add in a party system and make the quests harder based on the party size, subsequently dropping rarer items to loot. it'd be a cool way to have some story-line that players could replay once they've finished.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:41 PM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
Quote:
E: And also, whats your opinion on factions. Does everyone attack everyone or do I group them?
There's no reason to not have large groups or factions in an MMO type server. But...

Mandatory factions. First thing you choose at the start of the game is which "race" you want to be, which gives you your faction. There's no changing this without resetting your character. This dodges the dumb "nation recruiting" that so many servers have, trying only to build their faction out of the best PKers and richest players.

That said, individual guilds should exist within the primary factions, as long as the main focus of the game remains on the aforementioned faction (ie, guilds unable to partake in raids and what not).
Old 03-13-2011, 10:47 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
I don't like MMORPGs anymore. I think the dota/hon/even lol (yes I'm actually complementing this piece of **** for once) concept is much nicer but it doesn't work too well with MMORPGs.

I like PvP that's indepth and balanced. There should be more skill involved than luck and items shouldn't determine who wins. That's why Graal's default PK system is so great. I contradict myself here because on dota items do determine who wins, but you gain these in two ways: rice farming like an azn or ganking and pvping your way to gain gold + the overall advantage.

I don't like PvE at all unless it's integrated into the gameplay. I don't like going out of my way to farm monsters so I can gain levels, which are like obstacles on every MMORPG rather than part of the gameplay. The dota setup has levels play a crucial role in how long your hero is useful throughout the game and determines how strong particular heroes are and when they're at their prime. In any other MMORPG its just an obstacle to get over so you can finally reach the end game.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Mr. Blu
I want to cut crafting. Crafting is a definite time-sink. I enjoy games with expansive inventories and things to do with them. But too many games Crafting brings in its partner Gathering. And Mr. Gathering is boring.

I want to utilize a system to upgrade your weapon and armor, sure--But not really wanting to go for a original crafting system. What're stores for. XD

I'm going along with the...When a baddy dies he drops one item that signifies you killed him. A horn. A claw. What have you. The I am going to utilize a "Bounty" office to sell those "Proof of Kill" marks for some gold Or maybe use them in an upgrade. So there is still a need to gather/farm--But definitely not as long of a trip.

PVP - Target Lock or No Target Lock?

Weee!~
Old 03-14-2011, 12:08 AM
Mr. Blu
I was also thinking of working with more of a Quest/Achievement based track of progression versus leveling. Now I haven't completely ruled out a leveling system--I just think I can get around needing one.

Would you be frustrated being held back by the amount of quests you've done in an area? If you couldn't do the end game dungeon in that area?

Weee!~
Old 03-16-2011, 03:37 AM
the KattMan
Quote:
I was also thinking of working with more of a Quest/Achievement based track of progression versus leveling. Now I haven't completely ruled out a leveling system--I just think I can get around needing one.

Would you be frustrated being held back by the amount of quests you've done in an area? If you couldn't do the end game dungeon in that area?
Quests are always cool, especially if there is an abundance of them. If you can get creative quests, that will make your server unique- much more unique that an EXP system would ever make your server
Quote: