Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2010, 09:56 AM
GFX
DemonSpawnn will become famous soon enough
My progress

Hi, I'm relativity new to the world of graphic design. But I have been trying to improve, and I would appreciate all the constructive criticism I can get.
I will occasionally post graphics I make here.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
This is a sample of some tiles I made.. inside of some sort of a dungeon, or ruin? I don't know, any opinions?
Old 12-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to smirt362 Send a message via MSN to smirt362
Nicely done, I like the detail you put into it. I can't really find much wrong with it except maybe contrast the columns a bit more. Maybe also add a little square block between the column and the roof.

You should also do diaganol tiles for the walls

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 12-11-2010, 11:39 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Very bland, no real colors D:...

Why are the walls, floor, everything, the same shade of mushy swamp, pale green/gray?

Also, you don't really need to dither on things like the columns, which are flat? If it was intended for shadow, then I guess...? o.o

I messed with it for a few minutes. It felt like coloring a gameboy game XP...

Also, the bricks in the wall shouldnt have so much of the dark outline speckled throughout the bricks, and every little thing doesnt need an outline, use contrast to show edges, different boards, etc.

Didn't really know what to do with your bricks without spending an hour o.o
Old 12-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Registerd Abuser
nullify has a spectacular aura about
Diggin' it. Floor tiles are a bit mismatched though.
Could use a bit more color, other than that, good stuff.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
hey that looks cool!

Old 12-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Rjax Shizibz
Dnegel will become famous soon enough
The walls looks amazing, good start.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:15 PM
scooter123 can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonSpawnn View Post
Hi, I'm relativity new to the world of graphic design. But I have been trying to improve, and I would appreciate all the constructive criticism I can get.
I will occasionally post graphics I make here.

This is a sample of some tiles I made.. inside of some sort of a dungeon, or ruin? I don't know, any opinions?
I think the columns should go down one more tile.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:07 AM
GFX
Hmm any better? I'm struggling with this palette... it is supposed to be for a swampy dungeon, and about the bricks, I made a brick texture then messed with them to make them purposefully look old and worn out, and the columns are dithered to look worn as well.. I feel the floor tiles need the most recoloring.. I can't seem to get it right.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:36 AM
DeCeaseD will become famous soon enough
Stop restricting yourself so much with the colors you're using like Aeko suggested, everything looks to close in color, which is blending everything too much.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:44 AM
GFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCeaseD View Post
Stop restricting yourself so much with the colors you're using like Aeko suggested, everything looks to close in color, which is blending everything too much.
I thought using close colors would be a good idea.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:13 AM
Babylon OG
Lord Sephiroth will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Lord Sephiroth
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonSpawnn View Post
I thought using close colors would be a good idea.
Apparently no one is reading your posts and only looking at your graphics. The pallette you're using is great for the goal you're trying to achieve with a swampy dungeon. The pale green and gray overtones are working well together.

If you were just aiming for a regular dungeon, I'd consider trying out a wider variety of colors on the pallette, but since you have a very direction-oriented goal, I think you should stick with what you're doing. Looks great.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:15 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sephiroth View Post
Apparently no one is reading your posts and only looking at your graphics. The pallette you're using is great for the goal you're trying to achieve with a swampy dungeon. The pale green and gray overtones are working well together.
It doesn't matter. The most important thing to focus on when making background graphics is to easily discern where a player can walk, and where they can't. That is the first, and foremost, purpose of the graphics.

Also, you should never have to "read the posts" instead of "look at the graphics." If you can't portray what is needed with the graphics alone, you're doing something wrong. That's not to say he is doing anything wrong, but it's a point in general to remember.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:29 AM
DeCeaseD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
It doesn't matter. The most important thing to focus on when making background graphics is to easily discern where a player can walk, and where they can't. That is the first, and foremost, purpose of the graphics.

Also, you should never have to "read the posts" instead of "look at the graphics." If you can't portray what is needed with the graphics alone, you're doing something wrong. That's not to say he is doing anything wrong, but it's a point in general to remember.
This ^
Old 12-12-2010, 09:00 AM
GFX
I did a few new things to it.

The door,

Water, I'm unsure about the coloring of it.. maybe I should make it more purple then green? And the edges were it breaks to the surface :/

And the lower level walls, were the water goes.

I am also trying to make a sewer like entrance, not sure about how big it should be, so i drew that circle, any size recommendations? or any further ideas on it?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:43 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Not really sure it's the right size for graal, but other than that, it looks much better when paired with the blue water. I relize it's supposed to be green/swampy? but that doesn't mean you cant have more colors (shades of green don't count as other colors).

I may have added to many colors and such, i dunno xP