Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I don't think I'm biased against it at all, I've weighed the pros and cons just as much as you all. I've posted many times that I can appreciate all the work that has gone in to it, but I just don't see it ever being better than external.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:02 AM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I like how it seems to be only GST that support scripted tools.
Because they took a part in making it.
Like how that play you did in second grade was the ****, but when you watch the video later, you ask why so many people fell off the stage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyld View Post
That's 'cause we actually care to properly weigh the benefits of them. I've said time and time over if there are big problems with the Scripted RC, to post it in the thread. How else are we meant to know?
I could not use them on my school network, they're that slow and therefore, useless.
I'm getting so tired of people telling me how great they are. I abandoned a game because it was so difficult to use the tools. They gui for them is alright, but the speed was terrible because of a) No intel client, and b), bad connection.
I haven't done any dev since then, because I CAN'T without a staff position.
So, here's the pros and cons:
External one: use any time, no lag, no internet connection, no staff possition needed, could be cross platform if done right,
Scripted one: lag, depends on internet connection, you must be staff to use, cross platform

Which one is better

Stop being so biased. I had no reason to dislike the scripted one. I was like "finally, progress!". But when I tried to use it, I became disgusted, and, eventually, quit Graal for a while, and developing altogether.

But I'm sure I was just imagining that.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
If your school network is slow then IT is useless not Graal's tools.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:16 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
If your school network is slow then IT is useless not Graal's tools.
They depend on a network. Does your level editor?
Now, the RC would be faster if it was native. I found less lag on the windows version on my school network (almost none), and a better gui than on the Mac version.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:19 AM
Incubator
When you buy a Mac you accept the responsibility that you are not a priority when it comes to game developers.

So stop whining about it and get BootCamp or so.

I'm sure Stefan is quite aware of the plight of Mac users, but its just not a priority to him. External scripted windows are a better universal solution that external applications so that is what he is doing.

You might get a more strait-forward response from Stefan if you simply sent him a forum PM with your main point. If Stefan responds in the negative then it should be over then.

Last edited by Inverness; 08-09-2008 at 01:43 AM..
Old 08-09-2008, 02:06 AM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
Originally Posted by excaliber7388 View Post
Scripted one: lag, depends on internet connection, you must be staff to use, cross platform
I'm not 100% sure about this, but wouldn't it be possible to create .NW files from a GUI (aka, scripted level editor), then save it to /scriptfiles/ or something? You wouldn't be editing levels on a server, though. You'd just be drawing on a GUI that would convert what you've drawn in to the .NW format. If that's possible, then you wouldn't need to be staff to use a scripted level editor, or even a scripted GANI editor.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:09 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
I'm not 100pecent sure about this, but wouldn't it be possible to create .NW files from a GUI (aka, scripted level editor), then save it to /scriptfiles/ or something? You wouldn't be editing levels on a server, though. You'd just be drawing on a GUI that would convert what you've drawn in to the .NW format. If that's possible, then you wouldn't need to be staff to use a scripted level editor, or even a scripted GANI editor.
I know Zero (zokemon) plans on trying to get his added to the client so it opens when you press F4, and if you are staff, you can edit the server's levels. Otherwise, you can save to your hard disk.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Banned
Quote:
When you buy a Mac you accept the responsibility that you are not a priority when it comes to game developers.

So stop whining about it and get BootCamp or so.

I'm sure Stefan is quite aware of the plight of Mac users, but its just not a priority to him. External scripted windows are a better universal solution that external applications so that is what he is doing.

You might get a more strait-forward response from Stefan if you simply sent him a forum PM with your main point. If Stefan responds in the negative then it should be over then.
Windows is not an option

So? Of course he's aware, he can read, right? It's the fact that he knows and still does nothing. He's in the best position to release a Mac level editor, having already made a Windows one, and would have many algorithms already completed.
Quote:
I'm not 100º/o sure about this, but wouldn't it be possible to create .NW files from a GUI (aka, scripted level editor), then save it to /scriptfiles/ or something? You wouldn't be editing levels on a server, though. You'd just be drawing on a GUI that would convert what you've drawn in to the .NW format. If that's possible, then you wouldn't need to be staff to use a scripted level editor, or even a scripted GANI editor.
Yeah, it would be possible. Of course, you're still relying on gscript an an internet connection
I used to like to edit levels when I had internet downtime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
I know Zero (zokemon) plans on trying to get his added to the client so it opens when you press F4, and if you are staff, you can edit the server's levels. Otherwise, you can save to your hard disk.
Oh yeah, I heard about that...
2 years ago.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:22 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Yeah, it would be possible. Of course, you're still relying on gscript an an internet connection

Oh yeah, I heard about that...
2 years ago.
Zero's isn't a normal online level editor, it parses the NW file, so you wouldn't need a fast internet connection.

What do you mean 2 years ago? He's since revamped it with external windows, but he needs a few things and Stefan so far hasn't added them.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:25 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I think Zero's editor departs too far away from the external editor's interface and functions to be appealing to older level makers.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:26 AM
the fake one
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I think Zero's editor departs too far away from the external editor's interface and functions to be appealing to older level makers.
I'd prefer a level editor with the same interface, just revamped.

However, I'm not going to judge it until I see it.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:28 AM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
You can still make decent levels offline. Nobody's taking the external editor away from you.

^Forgot that the entire argument was about a Mac. Sorry.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:31 AM
the fake one
Quote:
You can still make decent levels offline. Nobody's taking the external editor away from you.
If you use Windows, that is.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:32 AM
Incubator
If Novo and Excaliber don't want to BootCamp to use Graal then you're just going to have to suck it up. I doubt Stefan is going to change the way hes doing things anytime soon. You'll just need to wait for the Graal v6 (assuming that is client with external scripted windows).
Quote:
He has a Mac...
Old 08-09-2008, 02:37 AM
the fake one
Quote:
If Novo and Excaliber don't want to BootCamp to use Graal then you're just going to have to suck it up. I doubt Stefan is going to change the way hes doing things anytime soon. You'll just need to wait for the Graal v6 (assuming that is client with external scripted windows).
I'm confused as to why Stefan is waiting to release the external windows. There are like ... 5 or 6 glitches on Mac, and I reported them a while back.

Tags
mac