FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 04:27 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
You are asking support staff to provide developers with development-related help. Brilliant.

We have no control over the content being pushed into Graal, unless you're talking about Hosted and Classic servers being approved, but that's not the PWAs fault if they are not being produced, that's yours.

You've perpetually shown that you do not understand the role of the PWA, so let me inform you.

I feel like I shouldn't have to take the time to write this to someone, but I will take special time since you don't seem to understand.

The PWA does:
  • Check servers for illegal, copyrighted, inappropriate content.
  • Inspect servers when the server developers feel that they are ready to go Hosted/Classic.
  • Investigate and settle disputes about abusive and corrupt behavior.
  • Read and reply to all support tickets submitted to the playerworlds section (handling anywhere from harassment to playerworld issues).
  • Act as a safety net for when servers have been taken over or economies are being ruined by staff.
  • Help manage and monitor the community of Graal, and help build a bridge between players and upper management (Stefan, unixmad, etc). We can be your voice.

The PWA does not, nor should they have to:
  • Develop content for your server.
  • Fix your scripting mistakes -- get a NAT.
  • Teach you how to level.
  • Help you learn how to do anything development related.
  • Get involved with your projects.

We are starting a separate team, it's called the Global Development Team, which may help you out since you seem to advocate having people doing all your work for you instead of learning how to do it yourself. However, if someone truly feels the need to remain ignorant and continue to pay for a server, that's perfectly fine, but they will not receive any help from the team. You must put forth effort to learn how to develop things on your own as well. If you don't learn how to develop, that is not my problem and it's not the PWAs problem. In fact, it's no ones problem except your own.

You seem to be trying to blame things on the PWA when it truly has absolutely nothing to do with what you're complaining about, which is just a lack of available developers to help you with your project. Again, this is not the PWAs fault, in fact, you are more at fault for it than the PWA.

It is so incredibly common in this day and age for everyone to try to push their problems onto someone else and find someone to blame, but really there is no one to blame but themselves.
did i not constantly state that it should be the PWA or some other global group. there are only two global groups that are active and matter anymore: PWA and GDT. if you are looking for global support, who else am i going to point to as an example of a job they could be doing?

i'm not blaming the PWA on anything anyways. i'm saying you could come on and help servers finish their content, however small the content may be. for example, if you are a prominent LAT, you could log on and fix the tile errors you find in a level as you check the servers progress (which i realize is something you don't do, but i supposed you would have too if you commited yourself to this type of job) or as a scripter you could look over player-made scripts and simplify or fix broken scripts. i'm not saying you should log on and create the entire server for people - i don't see how you take that to the extreme, or that you would be "babysitting" new developers by doing so

as for your remarks on my abilities as a developer

Last edited by Hiro; 09-17-2009 at 04:52 AM.. Reason: rest of paragraph is misunderstanding
Old 09-17-2009, 04:45 AM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
as for your remarks on my abilities as a developer
When I said "you" I meant anyone in general, not specifically you. Sorry I made it unclear.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 09-17-2009, 04:51 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
When I said "you" I meant anyone in general, not specifically you. Sorry I made it unclear.
sorry for my animosity then, but i have said many times that i'm not a developer, hence the assumption (8

i agree that people should make their own things - but helping them along, since development isn't free, would be very nice and would encourage people to spar more. like the purpose of the testbed server except that it's every UC server and not public
Old 09-17-2009, 05:01 AM
UN Manager
SwimChao is just really niceSwimChao is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
sorry for my animosity then, but i have said many times that i'm not a developer, hence the assumption (8

i agree that people should make their own things - but helping them along, since development isn't free, would be very nice and would encourage people to spar more. like the purpose of the testbed server except that it's every UC server and not public
On a side note, not many people who actually need help ask for it. I mean, of course people who want to sit back and watch the work unfold in front of them ask quite often, but it's a rare instance for a person in the position to need help to finish their content asks for it.

I guess it's sort of a develop(er/ment) ego. I know I can be that way sometimes.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Chang
DesolateRestriction will become famous soon enough
Well if Graal is a developer's platform, then I think it's about time Stefan worked on some graphical and sound making programs. ( or include some basic programs in developer tools, and now that I think about it... would it be out of the question for the owners of said programs to want to invest in advertising their products ion Graal? IE, list their trial products in Graal's development install packages. That might be a possible source of income when/if the community grows).

I can see it now, "Graal Soundshop - Now you can make you very own annoying graal sounds too!"

In all seriousness, this discussion is rapidly heading towards the ****ter; we've been pointing fingers for years and look where it's got us.

Last edited by DesolateRestriction; 09-18-2009 at 04:34 AM..