Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #61  
Old 08-24-2009, 01:54 AM
MysticX2X MysticX2X is offline
Prince
MysticX2X's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,529
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
A lot of developers have their own projects (I am working on Zodiac V2), we don't need someone who played Classic/G2K1/whatever server 5-8 years ago to stop what we're doing and create some server that will have the same effect comparable to the release of old servers in the past.
I'm sure Hiro only wanted to gather developers interested in that genre of a playerworld, so need to slander someone.

I'm also sure that Hiro, as well as myself, is speaking out that the content produced now isn't fulfilling enough to suffice good gameplay, and if the servers' management cant help that, then CJ should at least come in with a few proposals for raising the activity. I'm always supportive of playerworlds, but lately they are lacking and I think they need to head something up. Even the premium servers are lacking. Graal itself now cannot stand unless the management of the game decides to make a few changes
__________________
-Mystic

former acc: mystic2k


RIP Matt (NBK)
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 08-24-2009, 05:37 AM
Hiro Hiro is offline
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,965
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
A lot of developers have their own projects (I am working on Zodiac V2), we don't need someone who played Classic/G2K1/whatever server 5-8 years ago to stop what we're doing and create some server that will have the same effect comparable to the release of old servers in the past.

Do I think my project is going to revive Graal? Frankly I don't care, I only care about my own server, and attempting to please whoever may play it. I have to assume the playercount will be around for when I want to release but it's not something that you can expect to get done in a month.

Now.. Our current tools work, however they're extremely outdated but they can be improved in Graal v6 when developing tools will run out of Graal itself, allowing for scripted improvements, and personalization (I hope).
i don't think i ever mentioned stopping your projects to make a different one, or to somehow mold your project into one that will revive graal. that's your own prerogative, and if you don't care enough to make it into such a project then that's just another server to cross off my list of hopes. i don't see why you wouldn't want a server with comparable results to the ones created by CJ, but maybe that's just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
I took over Maloria since I want to create something unique and lasting for Graal, that will have high enough quality to be able to be advertised on the Internet. To achieve something like that doesn't take one night, and I'm personally not one to release half-assed content or be satisfied with decent work when I know something better can be done.

Player complain when they don't see updates? Of course they do, but just because they don't see them, doesn't mean they don't exist.

All you need to have is faith in the project you're working on, and in the people working with you. Sadly a lot of projects never see their finished result, due to the majority of developers not being able to stick with things for more then a week.
i'm glad you don't want to release half-assed content, that's awesome and i support that fully. but why does that mean that no information, no updates on the project itself could be given? why must players be in the dark about a server like maloria, or client updates from stefan? it's not that hard to post a thread about a project, and update that thread every time there's enough of a cause to do so. having faith in graal projects is like having faith in a god, where you hope that it's going to be real and it's a miracle when some evidence of it appears, but then when it never comes and promise of new gods are brought to light who will bring us wonderful things, you end up not believing at all
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 08-24-2009, 05:37 AM
salesman salesman is offline
Finger lickin' good.
salesman's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,865
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
Sooo....
my thread was hijacked =(
Free-developing on servers that are staff-only? Possibly some kind of package where you purchase developer slots?? Honestly, I think it would improve Graal tremendously.

As some of you have said, it is the developers job to make the game, not CJ...however, very few developers are willing to upgrade anymore, and I'm willing to bet most of Graal's money is coming in from people who PLAY the game, not people who develop.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08-24-2009, 06:05 AM
xXziroXx xXziroXx is offline
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx's Avatar
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,288
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
but why does that mean that no information, no updates on the project itself could be given?
OGCC Thread (only major updates, and quite outdated by now): http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=82848
Major updates/hirings: http://www.maloria.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9
Staff devlogs: http://www.maloria.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53


There are plenty of information, and people who would be interested in finding out about them can do so quite easily.
__________________

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Hiro Hiro is offline
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,965
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
OGCC Thread (only major updates, and quite outdated by now): http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=82848
Major updates/hirings: http://www.maloria.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9
Staff devlogs: http://www.maloria.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53


There are plenty of information, and people who would be interested in finding out about them can do so quite easily.
now that's awesome, and should be copied
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Loriel Loriel is offline
Somewhat rusty
Loriel's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 5,059
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
Player complain when they don't see updates? Of course they do, but just because they don't see them, doesn't mean they don't exist.
Damn those players who are too stupid to be having fun when you have put so much effort into your system scripts! It is all their fault that Graal is going downhill~
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 08-24-2009, 04:54 PM
LoneAngelIbesu LoneAngelIbesu is offline
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toldeo, Ohio
Posts: 1,049
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLLChiLD View Post
Because it's the developers job to pay for Graal and make it, as CJ profits, amirite?
Actually, yes. That's the basic business model for development platforms, turn-key operations, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
i don't think i ever mentioned stopping your projects to make a different one, or to somehow mold your project into one that will revive graal. that's your own prerogative, and if you don't care enough to make it into such a project then that's just another server to cross off my list of hopes. i don't see why you wouldn't want a server with comparable results to the ones created by CJ, but maybe that's just me
You didn't mention having people stop your projects, but you did mention pooling developers together to create some G2k1 revival. That would mean developers giving up their projects.

Look, this may come as news, but I honestly doubt that these old servers would be popular if revived. Nostalgia is best as nostalgia.

What I've been trying to say this entire time is that you need to take your concerns about content to playerworld staff. There's no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, demanding that Stefan make an amazing server to make up for (what you seem to think are) mediocre servers. Client updates are nice, but you don't play because you like the client updates. You play because you like the servers.
__________________
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
— Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 08-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Hiro Hiro is offline
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,965
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
Actually, yes. That's the basic business model for development platforms, turn-key operations, etc.


You didn't mention having people stop your projects, but you did mention pooling developers together to create some G2k1 revival. That would mean developers giving up their projects.

Look, this may come as news, but I honestly doubt that these old servers would be popular if revived. Nostalgia is best as nostalgia.

What I've been trying to say this entire time is that you need to take your concerns about content to playerworld staff. There's no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, demanding that Stefan make an amazing server to make up for (what you seem to think are) mediocre servers. Client updates are nice, but you don't play because you like the client updates. You play because you like the servers.
yea, i never mentioned a g2k1 revival either. stop trying to put words in my mouth - i chose those servers for a comparison in the example i used, mostly comparing the populations and life span of the servers, and because they were created by CJ. i don't think reviving old projects will work or has worked - i already tried it with doomsday and it crashed and burned just when it was almost ready to be released. i don't see why you would be so against stefan creating a new server, or why it couldn't be his "responsibility" if he wanted it do be. most of graal, developers and players alike, would be amazed and happy at the proposition of stefan creating a server, and people would have faith in it since it's the creator making content. it would be a huge deal instead of just another person trying to make another useless server
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 08-24-2009, 08:55 PM
LoneAngelIbesu LoneAngelIbesu is offline
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toldeo, Ohio
Posts: 1,049
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
i don't see why you would be so against stefan creating a new server, or why it couldn't be his "responsibility" if he wanted it do be. most of graal, developers and players alike, would be amazed and happy at the proposition of stefan creating a server, and people would have faith in it since it's the creator making content. it would be a huge deal instead of just another person trying to make another useless server
Stefan isn't a computer. Surprising, I know, but just play along with me. If he's making a server, that means less time working on the client and the engine. So, you get yourself a server, but no client or engine updates. A few months down the road, you come to "Your opinion" forum to let everybody know how angry you are that Stefan is working on some server, instead of more important things like client and engine updates. So, he starts working on those, which means less time on the server. I hope you can see where I'm going with this...
__________________
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
— Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 08-25-2009, 01:28 AM
Hiro Hiro is offline
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,965
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
Stefan isn't a computer. Surprising, I know, but just play along with me. If he's making a server, that means less time working on the client and the engine. So, you get yourself a server, but no client or engine updates. A few months down the road, you come to "Your opinion" forum to let everybody know how angry you are that Stefan is working on some server, instead of more important things like client and engine updates. So, he starts working on those, which means less time on the server. I hope you can see where I'm going with this...
i hope you see that players don't care about the client and engine updates, they want content updates
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 08-25-2009, 01:45 AM
salesman salesman is offline
Finger lickin' good.
salesman's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,865
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
i hope you see that players don't care about the client and engine updates, they want content updates
and that the people upgrading are players...there's no way in hell Graal is getting its money from developers.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 08-25-2009, 01:53 AM
Hiro Hiro is offline
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,965
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
and that the people upgrading are players...there's no way in hell Graal is getting its money from developers.
exactly, i'm glad someone understands this who also develops (8
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 08-25-2009, 01:55 AM
WhiteDragon WhiteDragon is offline
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,002
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
and that the people upgrading are players...there's no way in hell Graal is getting its money from developers.
Well, ironically, we actually are paying them.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08-25-2009, 02:07 AM
salesman salesman is offline
Finger lickin' good.
salesman's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,865
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDragon View Post
Well, ironically, we actually are paying them.
There's no way Graal is getting the majority of its money from developers upgrading just to develop...most of its money has to be coming from players. Developers are really running short...something needs to be done to bring them back, and hopefully encourage new developers to join as well.

That is what this thread is about

I've been gathering some statistics on Era, and I've found that 1429 unique accounts have logged on in the last 7 days. 651 of those have more than 100 hours of playing time, and 505 of them were Graal# accounts. People are definitely paying to play.

If CJ isn't going to be developing anymore servers, and the task is indeed left to us, then why not give us easier ways to do so (such as not requiring us to upgrade just to work on UC servers)?
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08-25-2009, 02:12 AM
LoneAngelIbesu LoneAngelIbesu is offline
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toldeo, Ohio
Posts: 1,049
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
i hope you see that players don't care about the client and engine updates, they want content updates
Uh, yeah. That's my point. So, go to your server and start demanding updates.
__________________
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
— Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright (C) 1998-2019 Toonslab All Rights Reserved.