Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Delteria Main Forum > Hiring for Delteria
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Thrashsoul3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've seen all of new Delteria, it is indeed awesome. The only problem is there are no dedicated scripters to do all the backend work.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:56 AM
VERACITY CORRUPTION!!
MKxTortoise is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblade1979 View Post
Look at me I am Events Master on Graal kingdoms (also owner of Misty Mug Tavern, Prince of Zormite) and part of Events Team on Zone, LAT for Graalopolis with RC access. Yes I have the tags but I am doing it on my own time. I am not getting paid to do it. So what makes you think that a staff tag and rc access constitutes payment?
Unless you have extraordinarily masochistic tendencies, I would think the fact that you're accumulating volunteer responsibilities and tasks that you enjoy doing suggests you're getting payout in the forms of gratification, prestige, privileges, and fun. You might not be, but that implies bounded rationality on your part, and that's nothing I can reconcile logically.

Payment isn't always a paycheck. A lot of jobs also pay with benefits. A job on Delteria, or a job as a tavern owner, or a political office on Graal Kingdoms, or a staff job anywhere else, will pay you entirely with benefits. The benefits include but are not limited to a staff tag and RC.

The fact YOU don't think it's a good payoff or a payoff at call can be, as far as I can tell, attributed to one of two things. Firstly, you've accumulated similar benefits from working elsewhere, and as such are getting diminishing marginal returns for each tag, RC, right, etc. Alternatively, past experiences with similar payoffs have left you as a discouraged worker which similarly devalues for you, personally, the worth of a staff tag or RC. I have no information about the causality, but the fallacy here, and my overall point, is that you're suggesting RC, staff tag, and other opportunities aren't valid as payoffs when in fact they are. This is especially true in light of the fact I've had multiple applicants who would all very much like to work for Delteria.

Just because the RC and tag don't mean anything to you doesn't mean it's worthless to everyone else. Instead it just means you have no reason to apply for a job here.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:55 AM
Registered Omega
killerogue is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to killerogue Send a message via MSN to killerogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKxTortoise View Post
long post
Out of curiosity, what do you major in college? I was curious about that.

REMEMBER, IF YOU REP ME, LEAVE A NAME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haunter View Post
Graal admins don't die. They go to hell and regroup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
Without scripters, your graphics and levels wouldn't do anything but sit there and look pretty.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:58 AM
Inferno (Level Designer)
Infernix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Infernix
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKxTortoise View Post
Is it that unreasonable to think that there may be people on this board reasonable enough to avoid this quagmire of stupidity and just went straight to my instant messenger like I requested? Wouldn't you know it - no! There are actually some people who are rational enough to do something totally insane like not complain about policy and instead give it a shot, working with it to see what happens.

I'm also curious as to what you would expect me to claim here. Are you expecting me to say "New Delteria will make Delteria one of the most mediocre servers ever!" or perhaps "Nothing is more average than a job on New Delteria!" I cannot follow your arguments about potential at all. A "good server" is something of a matter of opinion. I measure it in playercount. You might measure it in graphics, another person might measure it in script eloquence, yet another in server complexity, and a final person might take a look at community cohesion. All of these things are fine, but do you actually expect me to say something other than "the server I work for is ****ing awesome, and I think you should all jump in!"

I think you people would be surprised to see how well this thread actually worked. My quality assurance efforts, while clearly controversial, generated an interesting pool for talent. We're still looking for more, though, so anyone who want a job feel free to keep contacting me. As for the rest of you, if you'd like me to keep justifying my policy, keep asking me. It is not nearly as harsh as it seems and I stand by it. Ask yourself something, though: what do you think the policy is like on Graal Kingdoms? Unholy Nation? Even Zodiac to an extent, or Era? Zone? Compare it to the servers that are at the end of the day hidden away far, far beneath the playerlist that barely have a chance to breathe. Think about servers that failed - G3k, Bravo, Enigma, SL, Mithica, Damasca - then ask yourself why they failed.

More applicants for Delteria welcome! All skill sets considered assuming you meet our prerequisites.
Lol man, I don't care. You could just be a big man and ignore people. And Im sure this thread will draw in the same damn people as always that you cant depend on.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:23 AM
That Sword guy...right?
Zideruic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zideruic
Tortoise, I would love to help you guys but my only competence is in GFX, as for the other areas of development, I'm virtually retarded.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:03 AM
VERACITY CORRUPTION!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerrogue
Out of curiosity, what do you major in college? I was curious about that.
Math and Economics, Philosophy Minor. School is Case Western Reserve, although I may transfer to Cornell since they accepted my application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernix
Lol man, I don't care. You could just be a big man and ignore people. And Im sure this thread will draw in the same damn people as always that you cant depend on.
Why would I ignore people when I could just answer their questions? A legitimate point IS being made, I think it deserves some of my attention, even if I am just going to argue against it. Personally I think it would look a LOT worse if I ignored all of the dissent here. What would that say about the type of administrator I am? No, I think I'll answer questions to the best of my ability, even if I'm ultimately going to be disagreed with. Developers of other MMOGs take this approach, so empirical evidence suggests that is what I should be doing too, even though the current model for global admins and other playerworld owners is to not address problems and concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zideruic
Tortoise, I would love to help you guys but my only competence is in GFX, as for the other areas of development, I'm virtually retarded.
Tryout anyway, maybe it'll happen, maybe it wont. We've taken two people and rejected four so far, if you're curious.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Dark Ravenblade
Ravenblade1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Ravenblade1979
Plain and simple your way may work but I for one wouldn't work under a tyrant such as you. Like i said originally that my parents once told me and you are basically saying it "It's my way or the highway".

So there are eager people....you better watch it. I have seen many a server staff go wrong with hiring eager people.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:17 AM
VERACITY CORRUPTION!!
Yeah, the tyrannical Lord Tortoise has corrupted the Delteria Staff once again and is forcing them to do horrible things like projects that benefit and work in sync with other and even meet their deadlines. Will anyone ever stop this evil *******?!

I'm telling you, dude, if it was as bad as you're making it out to be no one would work for me and no one would apply. I've gotten two hires from seven applicants as of now. Survey says you're overreacting.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:30 AM
Inferno (Level Designer)
Infernix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Infernix
I was going to crack on your business skills tort but Im sure youd come back and say you've taken the some of the top business classes and know exactly what your doing.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:47 AM
Eagle will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Eagle
Obviously someone who makes levels can script a door, or use addtiledef/2. You make it sound like you have to be a great artist, script everything we tell you to, and still major is the thing you do best.

AIM : FCartman007
Old account - 190
Old 05-07-2007, 05:32 AM
Delteria
Cloven has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Cloven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Obviously someone who makes levels can script a door, or use addtiledef/2. You make it sound like you have to be a great artist, script everything we tell you to, and still major is the thing you do best.
Not that I don't understand where you're coming from, but, having received thousands of tryouts for Delteria since 2000 I can assure you that an overwhelming majority of these people were inept where basic skills such as the ones you've mentioned were concerned. Perhaps the wording in his original post should've been better in this regard, but we're simply looking for some reliable help from people who at least know what they're doing well enough for it to be appealing in some sense.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:35 AM
That one guy...
zokemon is a jewel in the roughzokemon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
Hence the term "developer". If they wanted people who didn't have adequate knowledge in all fields, they wouldn't be looking for "developers". And knowledge in all fields doesn't mean you have to be able to actually use it.

Last edited by zokemon; 05-07-2007 at 09:52 AM..
Old 05-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Delteria
Cloven has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Cloven
Quote:
Originally Posted by zokemon View Post
Hence the term "developer". If they wanted people who didn't have adequate knowledge in all fields, they wouldn't looking for "developers". And knowledge in all fields doesn't mean you have to be able to actually use it.
Added the missing "be" in between [wouldn't] and [looking], and quoted for accuracy.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:53 AM
That one guy...
zokemon is a jewel in the roughzokemon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloven View Post
Added the missing "be" in between [wouldn't] and [looking], and quoted for accuracy.
Oh wow, how did I miss that.
._.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Eagle will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Eagle
A Developer is simply anyone that can develop, regardless of field. It doesn't necessarily mean a specific thing anymore. =/

AIM : FCartman007
Old account - 190
Closed Thread