Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Inari is on a distinguished road
Copyright, etc.?

Hi there,

wondering how that is handled in Graal? I'm atm making a level editor (for graal) and just wondering if using NW format or such would cause any complications (I do not think so, since there is Gonstruct, but yeah...)

Also wondering about the usage of pics1.png or such things in Youtube-videos etc? Since I might want to make a video on the editor or such things

(Sorry if those are dumb question xD I don't have much clue how this stuff works Just want to make sure that I stay on the "right side")
Old 11-13-2014, 03:18 PM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
why are you making a level editor for Graal? What's wrong with the default or Gonstruct?
Old 11-13-2014, 06:06 PM
A bit for practice~ a bit because it seems something people desire

default is outdated and broken (I can't even close it aside using task manager :P)
And people expressed Gonstruct being a pain to get running on Mac, plus Gonstruct is also not being developed very actively
Old 11-13-2014, 07:06 PM
callimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to behold
You won't run into any problems when making such tools so far unless you create a custom external RC as far as I know
Old 11-13-2014, 09:14 PM
cyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant future
No copyright is involved considering nw files are essentially normal text files that are parsed by the Graal engine to display levels. I dare say you could even mimic the nw format and use it for a different game and it still wouldn't breach copyright.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:38 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAndrewx View Post
why are you making a level editor for Graal? What's wrong with the default or Gonstruct?
Gonstruct doesn't support mac by defauly. You have to do some heavy tweaking to maybe get it working. I've yet to see anyone prove it is possible on mac but several people have maid claims. The best way I've used the level editor on mac is parallels which allows for a virtual os within mac while you can still access your mac files and vise versa but it feels akward and uses resources. To further make things ucky u get this problem resizing the windows makes the level editor not work at all anymore as everything turns gray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan3 View Post
No copyright is involved considering nw files are essentially normal text files that are parsed by the Graal engine to display levels. I dare say you could even mimic the nw format and use it for a different game and it still wouldn't breach copyright.
You would be surprised alot of the stuff in graal format comes from torque. Such as level width and height is recommended in torque2d. I don't know if I would go to the full extend of using GLEVNW01 and BOARD ect for it but I don't think it's a problem to have an editor that can read other formats.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
What's wrong with the default?
Really?

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 11-15-2014, 06:27 AM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
Really?
Yeah. I do all my levels in it. It's got everything I need to make a level.

Show me a server which supports layers effectively and I'd use Gonstruct.

I have started using online tools though, they're just handy when testing new tiles / fixing tiny errors
Old 11-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Two of the annoying points of the default is that you still have to use gs1 for tiledef and can't resize the tileset part~
Old 11-17-2014, 08:24 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
I'd point you to Maloria, but it's not up anymore. Aly did some amazing layer stuff on N-Pulse as well.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 11-17-2014, 04:45 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Quote:

I have started using online tools though, they're just handy when testing new tiles / fixing tiny errors
I've been using the online tools for a while now. I would like to see a new editor that supports basic GS2 functionality though. And one that works on a Mac.

I would have used layers on the new gmap for Era if it wasn't so complicated to deal with using online tools. I wanted to create depth in the water to allow sand to be visible, and possibly sea life to be visible. I was able to get it working in test levels, but sadly it wasn't very scalable due the amount of tedious work required to allow it to work. Plus potential development errors can easily be created by opening levels using the existing level editor which would clear all visible layers.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:17 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Same here, but only because I'm too lazy to learn gonstruct and I don't need the layers.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:33 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
Same here, but only because I'm too lazy to learn gonstruct and I don't need the layers.
I would be more inclined to use layers if they supported drawing over players.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:45 AM
geneticfrog can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to geneticfrog Send a message via MSN to geneticfrog
gconstruct is easy......

one layer is the basics dirt sand grass gravel then second layer is large objects houses cliffs structures then the next layers are for details <.< or one rock fits on any terrain and same for all other details.

Imagine you can use 1 pole tile for any terrain without needing 1 image for every single terrain.

its way better <.< really just need to be able to trans the tileset back ground and stack tiles. (now sure whats easier to make)

BTW i wrote a tutorial a long time ago ;o
Old 11-20-2014, 02:12 AM
a true gentlemen
But will it work on a Mac? I don't want to buy an inferior product to use gonstruct.