Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 03:24 AM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
So does it compile fine on linux? Just not windows? I don't think I tried compiling it on linux yet but was interested in making some updates to it..
Old 07-02-2012, 06:11 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptless View Post
So does it compile fine on linux? Just not windows? I don't think I tried compiling it on linux yet but was interested in making some updates to it..
Supposedly, compiling on Linux is fairly easy.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 07-02-2012, 08:08 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
Supposedly, compiling on Linux is fairly easy.
I just compiled it a few days ago. Not hard at all.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptless View Post
I've never compiled it not on Linux, so you should be fine. It worked for me with my distribution's packages for the dependencies. Let me know how it works out for you.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:34 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
I've never compiled it not on Linux, so you should be fine. It worked for me with my distribution's packages for the dependencies. Let me know how it works out for you.
Additionally, if you're downstream from Debian (or at least Ubuntu), these instructions from Jer still work:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
How to Download, Compile and Run Gonstruct in Ubuntu
(Tested on Ubuntu 11.04 but it should work for older versions as well)

Before you start:

1. Enable the Universe Repository (if it isn't already):
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

2. Open a Terminal and Run:
sudo apt-get update

Now that you've enabled the universe repository and updated your sources:

1. Open a Terminal

2. Install Git:
sudo apt-get install git

If you get an error saying the package is obsolete or not found try the following instead:
sudo apt-get install git-core

3. Clone the Git repository locally:
git clone git://github.com/fry/graal-gonstruct.git

4. Change to the Git Repository folder:
cd graal-gonstruct

Terminal Tip! If you press TAB it will auto-complete filenames or directories for you. If you type: cd gr and then press TAB it should auto-complete it to: cd graal-gonstruct

5. Git Checkout Gonstruct:
git checkout

6. Install Gonstruct's dependencies:
sudo apt-get install libglew1.5-dev libgtkmm-2.4-dev libgtksourceview2.0-dev libgtkgl2.0-dev libboost-dev libboost-filesystem-dev ruby cmake

7. Generate the makefiles:
cmake .

8. Run the makefile:
make

9. Run Gonstruct:
src/level_editor/gonstruct

Upon running Gonstruct you'll be prompted to configure Gonstruct and after configuring you'll see the main Gonstruct window.

The Gonstruct binary/executable is located in ~/graal-gonstruct/src/level_editor/gonstruct so you can just create a link to it or copy it to wherever you want to run it from.

If you encounter an error please copy and paste the message you received in the terminal, and the output of cmake as well.

Last edited by cbk1994; 07-02-2012 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: checking out latest version instead of 0.2.3
Old 07-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
Additionally, if you're downstream from Debian (or at least Ubuntu), these instructions from Jer still work:
Thanks for posting those again!

Note that if you do the git checkout 0.2.3 step you are gonna miss out on the few commits that happened since then.

Also it is somewhat embarassing that we're still depending on ruby. Since cmake requires having python available anyway, it is probably worth considering replacing src/level_editor/make_images.rb with a python script. This probably has come up before and was snidely dismissed because I like ruby, oh well.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
If someone is going to work on Gonstruct, it should be noted that these are the most important bugs/improvements:
  • Dragging the tileset slider causes the entire tileset to draw over the level until the slider is released.
  • No right-click tile flood fill when having multiple tiles selected.
  • Ctrl+Z does not restore deleted layers.
  • Unknown reason(s) causes some gmap levels to crash the client.
  • If you accidentally right click to flood fill outside of the level boundries, the client crashes.
  • The ability to zoom out on gmaps would be fantastic.
  • Wrong settings can cause the client not to start until you remove them from AppData.
  • If done properly, having layers displayed in their own layer section (PhotoShop/PaintShopPro style) could be an improvement. If not done right, the current way they work is just fine.
  • Not sure if this is a bug or just poor implementation, but selecting tiles on a layer > Ctrl+C > navigate to another layer > unselect the tiles causes them to be moved from the original layer to the current layer. Would be nice with a better way of handing that, because it's a great feature.
  • If a tileset image is updated while having Gonstruct opened, it would be nice if the level would redraw.

That's all I could come up with for now.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 07-03-2012, 12:38 AM
DeCeaseD will become famous soon enough
Also not sure for the cause of this, but I was working with Gonstruct last week or so, and while a level worked fine when I first uploaded it, when I updated it again, removing some of the previously laid tiles, the entire level blocked the client. I was unable to fix this, and yeah.. like I said, don't know what caused it. Should note that this happened with multiple levels.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:49 AM
Master of Puppets
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCeaseD View Post
Also not sure for the cause of this, but I was working with Gonstruct last week or so, and while a level worked fine when I first uploaded it, when I updated it again, removing some of the previously laid tiles, the entire level blocked the client. I was unable to fix this, and yeah.. like I said, don't know what caused it. Should note that this happened with multiple levels.
Not an issue with Gonstruct.

Quote:
Levels with tilelayers are behaving extremely strange in v6. The first time you enter a level every session, all of it's surrounding levels on a gmap is completely covered in blocking tiles that won't dissapear until the level is updated. It creates some very inconvenient problems for non-staff players.

@Stefan, check it out yourself on Maloria at mal.gmap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
The problem is the last tile (4095) which is colliding with the -1 transparent tile. When loading the tile layers from cache then the -1 tile becomes 4095. I've fixed it, so it should be fine in the next version. To avoid the problem in the current version you could make the last tile transparent. In the next version the tile 4095 cannot be used in upper tile layers anymore.
If it wasn't that issue, my past experience with Gonstruct and layers tells me you filled one of your layers with a transparent (blocking) tile while thinking that filling it with a transparent tile would "delete" it.

Last edited by xXziroXx; 07-03-2012 at 02:37 AM..
Old 07-03-2012, 03:20 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
If I knew c++/C# or whatever Gonstruct was made in I'd be happy to work on it
Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 AM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
I always wanted to look into simply translating levels from the Tiled format into graal levels. You could also very easily support gmaps (e.g. create a 640x640 Tiled map and then translate it into a 10x10 gmap).

It obviously wouldn't support npcs or anything, but it's a great editor that has a lot of support.

edit: was just reading their site: "Supports input/output plugins to open and save files in custom formats"...might be worth-while to look into!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Somewhat rusty
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
I always wanted to look into simply translating levels from the Tiled format into graal levels. You could also very easily support gmaps (e.g. create a 640x640 Tiled map and then translate it into a 10x10 gmap).

It obviously wouldn't support npcs or anything, but it's a great editor that has a lot of support.

edit: was just reading their site: "Supports input/output plugins to open and save files in custom formats"...might be worth-while to look into!
The graal level format is dead simple so you should have no trouble with this at all.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:38 AM
DeCeaseD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Not an issue with Gonstruct.
So den wat be da issue m0nnn?!?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:58 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Meh, I'm not a big fan of Tiled. I use it(especially for my Java projects) but I feel as far as editing levels Graal Editors(and Gonstruct) is far superior to use.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:46 AM
the fake one
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Meh, I'm not a big fan of Tiled. I use it(especially for my Java projects) but I feel as far as editing levels Graal Editors(and Gonstruct) is far superior to use.
I agree. I wrote custom plugins for the game I'm working on outside of Graal for Tiled, but it just doesn't match Gonstruct or even the Graal Editor.