Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2015, 05:00 PM
PrototypeX
khortez will become famous soon enough
TStaticVar()

so i think i get it, but i'm not sure and looking for some outside output. Anyone want to explain TStaticVar() to me? It's usage.. downsides of using it. anything really. thanks in advance for any help
Old 03-19-2015, 10:58 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
It's useful for when you want to create an object to pass to another function or script. It also provides a clean object slate that doesn't have all the predefined Graal variables.

PHP Code:
function onCreated() {

temp.noobj.3;

temp.noobj.5;

echo(
temp.noobj.x SPC temp.noobj.y);

test(temp.noobj);

temp.obj = new TStaticVar();

temp.obj.3;

temp.obj.5;

test(temp.obj);

// make sure you destroy them when you're done with them 
  // as they aren't always garbage collected properly...

temp.obj.destroy();
}

function 
test(obj) {
  if (
obj.|| obj.y) {
    echo(
obj.x SPC obj.y);
  } else {
    echo(
"no x or y detected");
  }

echos

3 5
no x or y detected
3 5
Old 03-19-2015, 11:36 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Noobject. Liking the term.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:37 PM
PrototypeX
khortez will become famous soon enough
thanks, i think i understand it a lot better now. So last things i can think of to ask is, I've seen code with the same format. but they looked different. does it act the same? being a blank object and everything? And could I actually use this to say.. pass a GUI through a function? (just brainstorming possibilities)

I was looking for another sample, but i'll just post the one that i do have:

PHP Code:
function onCreated(){

temp.panel = new TDrawingPanel();

//more temp.panel stuff

the second one i remember was completely different. same format but customized name.

thanks
Old 03-20-2015, 09:55 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Hmm, I know I have used this before. But I think I lacked some understanding. Is there anyone that can explain any differences between using a TStaticVar() vs something like savevarstoarray() and loadvarsfromarray() ? In the past I have used both of them to preserve variables such as temp.obj.var.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:36 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptless View Post
Hmm, I know I have used this before. But I think I lacked some understanding. Is there anyone that can explain any differences between using a TStaticVar() vs something like savevarstoarray() and loadvarsfromarray() ? In the past I have used both of them to preserve variables such as temp.obj.var.
loadvarsfromarray and savevarstoarray is used for serialization. Useful for when you want to send an object over a method that doesn't support them or save it to a file.

e.g. triggers

PHP Code:
function onCreated() {

temp.ex.123;

temp.ex.234;

temp.ex.345;

temp.data temp.ex.savevarstoarray(false);

findplayer("fowlplay4").triggerclient("weapon"this.name"data"temp.data);
}

//#CLIENTSIDE

function onActionClientSide() {
  if (
params[0] == "data") {

temp.data params[1];

temp.ex.loadvarsfromarray(temp.data);
    echo(
temp.ex.a SPC temp.ex.b SPC temp.ex.c); // echos 123 234 345

}

Old 03-21-2015, 07:47 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
loadvarsfromarray and savevarstoarray is used for serialization. Useful for when you want to send an object over a method that doesn't support them or save it to a file.

e.g. triggers

PHP Code:
function onCreated() {

temp.ex.123;

temp.ex.234;

temp.ex.345;

temp.data temp.ex.savevarstoarray(false);

findplayer("fowlplay4").triggerclient("weapon"this.name"data"temp.data);
}

//#CLIENTSIDE

function onActionClientSide() {
  if (
params[0] == "data") {

temp.data params[1];

temp.ex.loadvarsfromarray(temp.data);
    echo(
temp.ex.a SPC temp.ex.b SPC temp.ex.c); // echos 123 234 345

}

Hmm, well is there any instance that I would be forced to use TStaticVar, or better to use? I generally find myself just using vars like I mentioned. Not sure if that is good practice, or if I should look more into using TStaticVar's?

Sorry if it sounds like a noob question just the overwhelming lack of documentation for GScript2 makes understanding somewhat difficult at times.

Also, thanks FP4 for the reply. Ans also not trying to hijack the thread. It's still relevant to discussion of the TStaticVar.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:25 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Hmm, well is there any instance that I would be forced to use TStaticVar, or better to use? I generally find myself just using vars like I mentioned. Not sure if that is good practice, or if I should look more into using TStaticVar's?

Sorry if it sounds like a noob question just the overwhelming lack of documentation for GScript2 makes understanding somewhat difficult at times.

Also, thanks FP4 for the reply. Ans also not trying to hijack the thread. It's still relevant to discussion of the TStaticVar.
If you don't want to constantly serialize your dictionary ("object") every time you want to pass it around, you can use a TStaticVar instead. This can be moderately faster and easier to read (less boilerplate).

This won't work going across serverside/clientside, of course -- you'll need to serialize in this case.

Also iirc savevarstoarray on a non-TStaticVar will include the random built-in object properties (stuff like initialized, joinedclasses, timeout, ...) in at least some cases. But I can't remember if that's true or not.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:27 PM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post

Also iirc savevarstoarray on a non-TStaticVar will include the random built-in object properties (stuff like initialized, joinedclasses, timeout, ...) in at least some cases. But I can't remember if that's true or not.
You're right.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:22 PM
Banned
Interesting however I am a little confused. So TStaticVar includes object properties... but from where? Does this mean like the player properties if the TStaticVar is a player object, or if I create an object that has properties and then create a TStaticVar of the object?
Old 03-23-2015, 10:41 PM
team canada
Quote:
Interesting however I am a little confused. So TStaticVar includes object properties... but from where? Does this mean like the player properties if the TStaticVar is a player object, or if I create an object that has properties and then create a TStaticVar of the object?
When you create a TStaticVar it has no properties/attributes/etc. You can mold them however you wish and pass them around to functions.

e.g.

PHP Code:
function onCreated() {

temp.sword createItem("Sword""sword"9999);

temp.shield createItem("Shield""shield"100);

echoItemValue(temp.sword); // echos 100

echoItemValue(temp.shield); // echos 9999

echo(destroySword(temp.sword)); // echos sword destroyed

echo(destroySword(temp.shield)); // echos item is not sword

temp.shield.destroy();
}

function