FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 07:24 AM
Rgesitreed Uesr
Pimmeh has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Pimmeh Send a message via MSN to Pimmeh
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniOne View Post
To play that server, you still have to go through the Graal Online website and subscribe to 'GRAAL' not to the user's server, therefore it would be more beneficial if graal were advertised as a package. You've also forgotten about the Gold Servers, which are made by Graal Online, if I recall right.
Zone, as I recall, started out as a player project and Stefan took over. Now it is again run by players. And so is GK.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:27 AM
SomeOne
MiniOne is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to MiniOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimmeh View Post
Zone, as I recall, started out as a player project and Stefan took over. Now it is again run by players. And so is GK.
Zone is run by Dan, who gets paid for developing the server. Therefore making him a member of the cyberjonex team.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:46 AM
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
I didn't see it touched much, if at all in this thread, though I may have missed it, is the state of how playerworlds are simply able to be rented now to anyone with the money available. This along with the lack of communication and teamwork in the development community, I think brings actual playable game content production down exceptionally. Even on live classic servers, it is very hard for developers(especially scripters) to work as a cohesive unit of more than a few(around 5 or so) people that work on an active basis, or at least seems to be the trend. This simply comes from people in the development teams naturally having disagreements in direction of a specific server, and people generally aren't inclined to work towards something that isn't in their direction, so more often then not, team members part ways, a lot of times to UC servers where their direction can be more focused on.

While I do understand the revenue the rented playerworlds bring, I feel they waste a lot of our development potential by allowing anyone with the freedom of having the cash to spend, to take their skills and run their own projects. This appears to produce a lot of development teams of one or two developers attempting to produce a server idea in a specific direction. However, 1-2 people are nowhere near enough to build a server alone, so barely any of the rented playerworlds end up reaching completion.(which I consider being on classic tab, or even hosted.)

I do support new ideas and server types, but it seems as if a bit of the projects seem to be of the similar enough theme of an already existing classic server that it becomes harmful to the game as a whole. Not only does the massive spread of development talent get spread away from working on live servers, should one of those similar themed servers, or even a different themed server make it to classic tabbed status, I find that it just spread the current community around aswell.

Theoretical Example: Say xxx modern themed server(similar to Era's theme), makes it to the classic tab. Should the server be of good enough quality, it will 'steal' a porition of Era's community away from Era, but not reach the playercount that Era did previously before that server was released, since its majorly a spilt of Era's community now playing two servers. This ends up damaging Era a lot, and the end result is two smaller communities that as a sum, are probably not as fun to play as Era was originally with its larger playercount.

Spreading the moderate sized communities that are present on live servers, only damages the overall game as a whole, as I feel for most types of servers, the more players you have on at a given time, the more enjoyable the experience on that server with disregard to content. Those that played on servers in the early 2000s that had playercounts above 100, probably hold that to be the most enjoyable period of them playing graal.

I guess what I'm saying in general is that while the server renting system as of current may provide some revenue for Graal on the short term basis, on the long term, I feel this is only harmful to Graal. It both spreads the development talent around, often to servers that never see the light of anything past UC, and spreads the community around as well. Right now I feel that the more condensed we can get both devs and community on live servers, the better the playing experience the players will have on a global level, the faster more live content can be released, and the more this game can grow, as a whole, and that means more subscription revenue.

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint

Last edited by DarkCloud_PK; 03-25-2009 at 11:12 AM..
Old 03-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimmeh View Post
The manager, Tigairius, is a member of the PWA. Additionally, Dan is a paid staff member.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The manager, Tigairius, is a member of the PWA.
He wasn't when he got hired, and he would still be Manager even if he didn't join the PWA team.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 03-25-2009, 02:40 PM
♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪
Angelu will become famous soon enough
Graal is a epic fail as development platform.
There are opensource 2d mmorpg enginges out there so why develop in Graal ?
You, your friends and all other people can play it for free when you work with an opensource engine
instead of graal where you have to pay for the access and the development tools which have no support or updates...
Graal was free in the beginning too with all the tools so i dont understand why we have to pay for it now ...
(If you want your own server for sure you have to pay the server costs)
I know Unix and Stefan have to eat but its the wrong way to exploit graal like this
So the best is to hope that they become rich with the iphone games and graal becomes free again
There are other ways to get money out of it then with additional things
Old 03-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
He wasn't when he got hired, and he would still be Manager even if he didn't join the PWA team.
I'm not sure what agenda you're persuing - but the point stands that currently the gold servers are run by the Graal Online administration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelu View Post
Graal is a epic fail as development platform.
There are opensource 2d mmorpg enginges out there so why develop in Graal ?
You, your friends and all other people can play it for free when you work with an opensource engine
instead of graal where you have to pay for the access and the development tools which have no support or updates...
Graal was free in the beginning too with all the tools so i dont understand why we have to pay for it now ...
(If you want your own server for sure you have to pay the server costs)
I know Unix and Stefan have to eat but its the wrong way to exploit graal like this
So the best is to hope that they become rich with the iphone games and graal becomes free again
There are other ways to get money out of it then with additional things
Graal is a business, not a kindergarten. They're not making piles of money from Graal Online, so it's understandable that they have to pursue more aggressive business strategies. As I said earlier, I would rather not make this political.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:12 AM
SomeOne
MiniOne is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to MiniOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Graal is a business, not a kindergarten. They're not making piles of money from Graal Online, so it's understandable that they have to pursue more aggressive business strategies. As I said earlier, I would rather not make this political.
I agree, though their aggressive (as you call it) way towards business is far too aggressive, they've over priced and the quality of their product is nothing compared to the other products in this modern world of technology.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Default Usergroup Title
CaptainSkittles is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniOne View Post
I agree, though their aggressive (as you call it) way towards business is far too aggressive, they've over priced and the quality of their product is nothing compared to the other products in this modern world of technology.
Agreed, it's more blatant denial with a mix of stupidity rather than aggressive.

Graal wasn't worth paying a monthly fee like four years ago, the idea of a lifetime subscription for a low price was what made me stay with it for so long.

If I was a new player, saw my impersonalized Graal#### account, and couldn't even change my head without paying, I'd uninstall and move on in a matter of seconds.